trainingpeaks is it worth

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KH1

by KH1

I use WKO and training peaks.
I'd go with WKO only - mainly because it does most of the stuff I use on traingpeaks and it's a one off charge unlike tpeaks which is annual.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

What the hell is the difference?

I thought they were one in the same??

KH1

by KH1

training peaks the online system - not as comprehensive with data as WKO which is PC stand alone package.
But training peaks online has additional features for diet and general health.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KH1 wrote:But training peaks online has additional features for diet and general health.

So basically parts that let you lie.

Which the power data won't do :cry:

KWalker

by KWalker

Training Peaks has enough for what I need and if I need someone to do what WKO does I just send them the file. I have a Mac so running parallels and then buying a copy of Windows and WKO+ is a bit ridiculous in the end.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Bvb45

by Bvb45

I have the same quarrels with WKO and TP(Online):

- TP is updates quite often
- WKO once a year or so..quite annoying that my swim sessions can be auto imported from my Poolmate Pro yet and the wait is looong.

- WKO has an amateurisch look to it, definately not been shined up, just a decent touch and many things are not as smart as they could've been. Looks beginnerisch and cheap, especially for such an expensive product($130).
-- Fx doublelclicking on the Summary box doesn't blow it up but the graphs do, inconsistency and quite annoying when its such a usefull page/window!
-- Also the "Download from TP" isn't exactly working well with the login, unless one has set that up already, bad feedback.
-- WKO really should have a "Check for Updates" that doesnt just refer one to a page which tells one what TP(the OTHER tool) has been updated to lately! Scam/confusing at best.
-- WKO should really have a modern update mech like just getting the new .dll files behind the back of the user and prompt to restart itself once ready.
-- The clunky GUI is annoying, it takes alot of getting use to all those clicks needed and almost nothing is possible in bulk, by fx multi-selecting rows and changing sport or so.
-- Sports, those 8 are static, and can't be changed! And Other is just Other, not even Other1, Other2, ..., Other(n)
-- On a Win7 superfast computer with SSD main drive where everything snaps really fast, the program loads in 2secs default, but the splash remains blocking for 7 secs as default...get rid of it once I've registred the product!(=paid for it)
-- "What type of athlete" is also hopelessly old and static and clearly is just grabbed from CyclingPeeks, where I guess WKO is just a port with a new sticker on top.
-- The About box has the build number, but lists 2005-2009 for the company..not what you wanna see ona $129 product! Cmon, the freaking product is from February 2011, you know that as you wrote the Build number, stick to consistency ffs!
-- Unless it is wellhidden, I found no way of bulk Uploading imported stuff(with all the old notes, handwritten, as most of the imported notes, at least all Polar notes, were discarded on import) to TP, should one have bought the adverticed bundle for $199 for WKO(life) and TP(1yr), that sucks. Royally.
-- Main Menu and the button menu right under it, seems to mostly have been put there for fun, as it is set up Mac style in that superconfusing dynamic way. Get rid of that for the Windows version and just grey out the useless options OR get rid of both of the menues entirely and go by rightclick menus over the whole grid! Much better and intuitive! Reason is the icons are OLD, and I mean Win98 isch old and not imidiately recognizable, meaning ya gotta hover em to see their function unless experienced user. The Mac menues require a click to see what options I have in every context and thats a click too many, rightclick menues the same, but those can be specialized for faster usage.
-- Open files, can change lots and steal the marked-by-the-star functionality, great, but dammit where is "Save All" ??
-- Where is "Backup all WKO+ to XML" ?...or if they wanna keep their secrets, ".bin.zip" ?...Answer: Not there, they want you to buy their TP and pay yearly...:(

- WKO does give an Ok gathered up overview, especially if you like me have 3 diffrent watches(Garmin 310XT(Biking, Running), Polar S625X(Spinning inside, GPS from310 is annoying and 310 is too intrusive beeping away for real usage there), Poolmate Pro(Pool swimming and OW, though 310 in the hat would work, that gives me headaches after 50mins so didnt bother with 100min passes..)), a diary(for all the how did it feel, injuries on the way, caveats and letdowns to go back and relive, great for morale) and an Excel sheet for monitoring nutrition(Complete with Macros for macronutrients and making sure everything is on track).
-- The overview(Athlete Home) and Calender are decent once into the product and the customizable graphs are Ok, but they seem feeble compared to what I'd expect from a $129 product. Excel XP from 2002 offers more choices and ofc its alot bigger, but the some basic customizing is missing and it gives a rugged and basic feel of the tool.
-- The import from Garmin and Polar works Ok, but annoying to relabel historic event and making sure it doesnt mess up statistics is a hassle at times, but it does work.
-- The copycatted Settings from Visual Studio object panes is working great and is how it should be. But half the settings is about colors :)
--
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."