Simple & Cost-Effective Weight Savings

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Much of my riding takes place on dirt/gravel roads, so I usually choose parts for their durability rather than low weight. I'd like to drop some weight w/o resorting to major upgrades like new wheels, etc. Here's what I'm thinking:

Replace King stainless cages with King ti cages (37g savings)
Replace XT rear mech with XTR rear mech (75g savings)
Replace SRAM 971 chain with 991 hollow pin chain (22g savings)

Comments?
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Why not go with a dura ace derailleur for even more savings?

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Colin wrote:Why not go with a dura ace derailleur for even more savings?

Cassette is 11-34t.

Guymk

by Guymk

I saved 100g just by changing to a smaller tube size. I am running Bontrager jones cxr(great tires btw, 31mm wide(claimed 34) and 310g each!!). Originally had tubes that were 35/47mm range and switched to 28/32mm. That was the least i ever spent to drop 100g. Look at your tires/tubes and see if you can drop some weight. Plus its rotating weight so it counts more than static weight :smartass: .
Last edited by Guymk on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Guymk wrote:I saved 100g just by changing to a smaller tube size. I am running Bontrager jones cxr(great tires btw, 31mm wide(claimed 24) and 310g each!!). Originally had tubes that were 35/47mm range and switched to 28/32mm. That was the least i ever spent to drop 100g. Look at your ties/tubes and see if you can drop some weight. Plus its rotating weight so it counts more than static weight :smartass: .

Yup, it's amazing how much you can save with that simple swap. In my case I spent $12 and saved 100g or rotating weight.

Colin

by Colin

Also, just go with a KMC X10SL. Not much more money than the Sram, but lighter, more durable, and better shifting IME.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Colin wrote:Also, just go with a KMC X10SL. Not much more money than the Sram, but lighter, more durable, and better shifting IME.

Is it 9-speed compatible?

Colin

by Colin

Yes it works fine with 9 speed. If you'd rather, they do make a 9 speed version, X9SL.

Westifer12

by Westifer12

I always throw out there to cut down you post to min insertion if it'll live with that bike. Not quite as safe if you juggle bits around though...
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

Rikc

by Rikc

With an 11-34 cassette you could go with a single front ring. It saves the shiftcable/housing, and front derailleur. Instead of the ouerring you use a bashring wich weights the same. And a chainwatcher to keep the chain on the ring. Saves easily up to 150gr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

I wasn’t thrilled with the way the mid-cage XTR mech shifted on the 11-34, so I’m going back to an 11-32, and swapping the 36t chainring for a 34t. I’ve toyed with the idea of going 1x9, but I really like the 46t for paved roads. I’ve may consider replacing the left bar-con with a DT shifter, though.