Look KG 292 TI frame - any thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adam3fam

by adam3fam

wow, Nice frame mate, show us complete bike now :?:

adam3fam

by adam3fam

:noidea: i saw now... nice bike :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I like the look of the frame and the fact that it's a threadless fork. Just went to look at my Litespeed Merckx AX and there's a number of detail differences from the frameset in the photo's. The way the rear dropouts are welded in, the rear brake bridge, and the slight flaring on the headtube are all different. I'm no expert - so tifwiw
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AaronO

by AaronO

I don't see a decal that says litespeed. On serotta forums, a guy who worked there confirmed litespeed and the quality seems about on par with the ex's - ok, not great. The decals are a bit banged up.

I'd prefer not discussing price as I'll likely be reselling it.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

No, that's definitely a Litespeed. The contour of the head tube is one of the defining aspects. Just got off my 2001 Litespeed Tuscany ( now my beach/rain bike ). Exactly the same. The other one posted is either an older Litespeek or a Sanvik; I'm not sure.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Ok I'm slightly confused about which frame we are talking about. My Litespeed Merckx is from about 1995 and has a straight headtube - same as the 2 shiny Looks. So are you saying the imageshack Look is also Litespeed - only more recent? which would make sense since it's threadless.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AaronO

by AaronO

I'm also no expert, but I do think there were different builders for different models. On the serotta forum, a member in France mentioned some built in Czeck and not known for quality.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

FWIW, my Sandvik-built Diamond Back team MTB frame is still going strong, still comfy, great handling, and under 24lb with... we'll say "classic" (or "never upgraded much") parts after over 10yrs. The dropouts are art. So you should get a good and long life out of the road frame -- any oxygen corruption of welds should have become visible, if not totally untenable, by now. Enjoy!

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Yes. Imageshack bike is a later Litespeed. Guessing 1999 - 2002 or so. The slightly wider rings at the top and bottom of the head tube were characteristic of Litespeeds of that time. Regarding stickers, some brands were anonymous re- badges of Litespeeds, a few sported a small acknowledgement.

AaronO

by AaronO

Ride report time:

I took it out for a spin today...nothing too major...I'm not a fan of the SRAM stuff, nothing new there, but it sure worked well. The bike is almost unnervingly light...it's lighter than my Merlin (or at least the build is; the Merlin has some older, heavier parts and heavier wheels) but I didn't enjoy the ride as much...it was less firm and more twitchy. I felt a lot more road vibration, and that was surprising given it had gatorskins. It felt more Colnago'ish on the one good descent I got going on with it. It climbed nicely, but I don't think it out performed my Merlin.

Overall...nice experience, but nothing jaw dropping either. Truthfully, I was expecting more because this was the lightest wheel set I've used. Perhaps it was the Gatorskins - I really don't care for those tires much.

owl

by owl

All steel and alu looks were built by billato. There was a trend from 1996 to use rebadged litespeeds
Owl

victorduraace

by victorduraace

AaronO, how good is it's stiffness and acceleration? What about going uphill, climbing while standing? You say road vibration damping properties leave a lot to be desired. This actually is pretty suprising to me, as I heard of titanium regarded as excellent at it. Will the frame filter some minor road cracks and irregularities? Any handling impressions on tricky descents? What is your Merlin made from? Steel/ carbon/alloy?
cheers
PS: If you plan to sell the bike, don't hesitate to contact posters on first page. They wanted my frame, but I'm not selling it, decided about that .

Also, I found a sticker saying KG 282. Any earlier (or later version)???

AaronO

by AaronO

My Merlin is ti (aren't all of them?)...

I think I already gave my impressions...it climbed ok, not as nicely as some of my other bikes (but I also only rode it once). I found it a little twitchy and flexy. As I'm sure everyone is aware, bikes are VERY personal and the rider and where he road it make a huge difference. I'm a bit heavy and that probably impacted my experience...I prefer a stiffer tubeset.

I haven't 100% decided to sell it, but I'm open to offers. I'd likely put it on ebay if I do go that route, I have enough in (both money and aggravation) where I need a solid return.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

My current setup, planned to build it as shown:
1550 FRAME: LOOK KG 282 Titanium
367 FORK: LOOK HSC CARBON
90 HEADSET: BBB 1' (maybe CHRIS KING in futute)
1600 WHEELS: FIAMME RED/ DT COMP/ ALLOYNIPPLES/ DURA ACE HUBS
300 HANDLEBARS: FSA VERO COMPACT 40cm
100 STEM: DEDA NEWTON 80mm
520 TIRES: CONTINENTAL COMPETITION(Front) +TUFO S22(Rear)
680 CRANKS: DURA ACE 7800 170mm 39/53
90 BOTTOM BRACKET: DURA ACE BSA
200 CASSETTE: ULTEGRA/105
250 CHAIN: ULTEGRA/105
320 BRAKES: DURA ACE 7402 gold anodized custom
300 LEVERS: DURA ACE STI 7800 + DURA ACE 7400 LEVER+DURA ACE 7400 DT SHIFTER
40 BAR TAPE: SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX
250 SADDLE: SELLE ITALIA FLITE TITANIUM/ other comfy ~250 grams
330 PEDALS: SHIMANO PD-R540 (temporary, budget option)
120 CABLES: JAGWIRE/DURA ACE
60 SKEWERS: LIGHTWEIGHT TITANIUM
80 FD: DURA ACE
190 RD: DURA ACE
188 SEATPOST: LOOK ERGOPOST 2TI , cut down(some lengh intact for further tuning)
30 CLAMP (much room for tuning)
40 MISC: BB CABLE GUIDE, STI GUIDES, CAGE BOLTS (some tuning and alloy bolts). Topcap with steel bolt is 16 grams, I plan to go with alloy bolt and custom made cover to have something like 10 grams less.

7697 TOTAL ~~~7700 grams. There are some damn heavy parts: pedals, brakes, cassette (plan some drilling there :twisted: ) and can shave something like 400 grams there. Frame at 1550 grams is not featherlight either. 7700 grams sound like lead to some advanced WW, but this will be 100% reliable, hot bike on tight budget and with some rare/ hot/ stunning custom components.
My bike, hope it will be under 7 kilos with 1000 grams climbing wheelset.
I plan to go with special climbing wheels under 1kg, but this will be when I get myself back to cash after build :lol: .
Bar tape and saddle will be either black or white.
ANY COMMENTS/SHIT TALK/ CRITICISMS/ UPGRADE OPTIONS/ ANYTHING LIKE INPUT STRONGLY INVITED

Some teasers to make you jizz in your pants:

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Rear tubular will be Tufo s22 for durability and high mileage:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com