Ritchey '12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

laager wrote:
djconnel wrote:These are really nice mass numbers for 31.8 mm from a company known for its honesty.

OK. You buy one if you like it so much.

Too heavy: my 26.0 mm Extralite is lighter. But this is clearly a better stem otherwise. I'd definitely pick it if I was contemplating 31.8.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Folks complaining about having to unwrap tape or the pita or the pita to maintain it... How often do you guys change your bar or stem?

Okay, maybe if you just got a new bike and are dialing in your fit. But once its set, why? I haven't touched my bar/stem in over a year.

I'm willing to trade off a bit of inconvenience in the installation process if its going to mean a lighter and/or stronger product.

Different story if you are a pro mechanic or work in a bike shop. But like one poster said, this is no more painful than the days of quill stems w/ non-removable face plates.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mises

by mises

The quoted weights are with steel bolts. I'm willing to put up with some hassle in that case.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I really like this design - it seems like it has some creative solutions in it. I'm having a hard time visualizing why he went with the three bolts in the back, but I'm sure they have analysis behind it.

The front clamp seems very smart. The way I build bikes, the wrap around clamp doesn't seem like a big deal.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

It's 3 bolts, but you can all try skipping the middle bolt if you think you know better than Ritchey. :P

CBJ

by CBJ

Estelja wrote:Video of the stem from Dealer Camp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlgINDciiKI

Check out the other Dealer Camp videos from Roadbikereview.com after that, some good stuff including other Ritchey items, BH Ultralight, new GT GTR, Ridley Noah FB, etc...

Nice link. That new GT could be an amazing value for money.

dummey

by dummey

mises wrote:The quoted weights are with steel bolts. I'm willing to put up with some hassle in that case.

Good point, get some Ti bolts in there and this is a pretty affordable sub 100g (or 100g for those of us that actually need a stem of reasonable length).

KWalker

by KWalker

I see no problem with it other than the ugly graphics. Hope those are removable.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mythical

by mythical

Surprisingly, nobody commented on how much it resembled the Syncros Fric stem, which is basically Ritchey except with another name. They must've thought to test the it on the DH crowd first before serving the roadies.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

tommasini

by tommasini

With current 180 degree stems as you tighten the face plate bolts they thread into the faceplace at a perfect angle for the threads - always. The new Ritchey design would create ever changing face plate to bolt thread angles as the face place is drawn closer. Not sure I see that as any form of improvement but rather a compromise in an attempt to offer something different........

BobSantini

by BobSantini

^^^ You would just hold the face plate in place while screwing in a top and bottom bolt. Then finish it.

It looks like a nice product to me.
r o y g b i v

KWalker

by KWalker

its 4 friggin bolts and everyone is acting like you have to solve a rubik's cube to put your damn bars on. its really not that hard people.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

tommasini wrote: Not sure I see that as any form of improvement but rather a compromise in an attempt to offer something different........

What other stem with full-size bolts matches that mass number? Ritchey's always been honest on mass.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

KWalker wrote:its 4 friggin bolts and everyone is acting like you have to solve a rubik's cube to put your damn bars on. its really not that hard people.

:thumbup:
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

djconnel wrote:What other stem with full-size bolts matches that mass number? Ritchey's always been honest on mass.

10cm @ 100 grams. Just off the top of my head:
Rotor S3X
Kcnc Team Issue
Kcnc Ti Pro
Kcnc Sc Wing
New Ultimate
Tune 4.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com