Ritchey '12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Rico, this ones only a 4nm but with off set bolts, wouldnt that force apply differently (less) to the bars?

The clamp shape also lends its self to finding an even contact patch...

The overall quality seems pretty nice. And they feel lighter in hand than I would have thought. The carbons will be a little heavier than metal but with more stiffness...

mythical

by mythical

4Nm would promote bar slip on this stem, and I speak from experience. These bolts probably can't be clamped much higher anyway, as their thread callout is smaller and the bolt has less meat. But that photo from an angle I've not seen before just shows that the inside of the faceplate has a rougher surface, so that's the countermeasure against the bar slip that would be caused by the offset clamp bolts. Once again, cleverly worked out by Mr. Ritchey! :mrgreen:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Funny that almost no Pro Vibe riders are actually using that stem in reality. The Ritchey stem looks like a PITA.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Captain Fuzz

by Captain Fuzz

Tom's sales of the 5nm Torqkey where slipping, so BINGO 4nm...
Someone stole my signature...

bikedoc

by bikedoc

so stems are really easy to make, theres no real way of making them better, all the current designs work well enough so the only way your gonna sell a new one is to make it look different.
Actually that kinda applies to all bike stuff these days, no ones come out with anything better for years just stuff that looks different

Captain Fuzz

by Captain Fuzz

I guess that is because everything is made in the same three factories in China.
Someone stole my signature...

centaur4608

by centaur4608

Nobody known the height of this stem ? More than 40 mm I guess ...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Those offset bolts on the bottom of the stem look like a total PITA to work on. Also not a fan of the new Pro vibe stem either....

The Ritchey WCS 4axis stuff was/is classic and works great. But, like so many companies (ie Selle Italia messing with the original Flite and not the SLR....) they feel they have to change something to keep sales going.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

spartan wrote:pro built a better mousetrap

Yeah, a 139 gram mousetrap!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a neat stem, but like all PRO stuff, heavy. I have lots of their bars and stems sitting around and they are all heavy.

djconnel

by djconnel

laager wrote:In my book, having to remove bar tape just to swap out a stem = FAIL.

Tape ends at the top... takes ten seconds to unwrap a bit. How many times per day do you swap your stem, anyway?

julianfranco

by julianfranco

Great looking stem, and I'd be all over the 4nm Torqkey! Although I think that one is currently offered by Giant...

Bummer that it won't fit the PRO Vibe bars. I have the PRO Vibe bars on my personal bike and love the look and graphics of the new Ritchey stems.

djconnel

by djconnel

Fine: then for those bars get a different stem. That's hardly a "fail". These are really nice mass numbers for 31.8 mm from a company known for its honesty. If you care about weight you're probably on round bars anyway because they're lighter.

dual

by dual

Briscoelab wrote:Those offset bolts on the bottom of the stem look like a total PITA to work on.

Exactly my thoughts when i first saw the stem. Every mechanic in a hurry will prolly hate it.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

laager wrote:
djconnel wrote:These are really nice mass numbers for 31.8 mm from a company known for its honesty.

OK. You buy one if you like it so much. We'll see how honest Ritchey is when turns out a market flop. Even OEMs aren't going to like it because of the risk of scratching bars during installation and the extra steps required during assembly.

You sound like you've never lived through the era of Cinelli 1A and XA stems ?? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Estelja

by Estelja

Video of the stem from Dealer Camp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlgINDciiKI

Check out the other Dealer Camp videos from Roadbikereview.com after that, some good stuff including other Ritchey items, BH Ultralight, new GT GTR, Ridley Noah FB, etc...