Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

USofChay

by USofChay

Zigmeister wrote:So what happens when a spoke or two gets mangled? Is is repairable like a regular tubular with spokes where a rebuild is just done and away you go? Or is it an expensive conversation piece now of what once was?

If you brake it, which is supposedly very hard to do, it would be nearly impossible to rebuild.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Pretty much the same as lightweights and Corima MCC.

But...
The crash replacement cost is (I think) $400 and it runs 4 years...

The bigger difference is that these spokes actually are quite flexible compared to LW and Corima and Reynolds (as is the build). They're in tension but will also move or bend under impact versus being rigid. it doesnt mean they're unbreakable, they're give where the others wont to some degree though.

aquaport

by aquaport

Just waiting for the clincher/tubeless version. Thanks for the review.

fastrow23

by fastrow23

Has anyone posted the rim width?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Did they give up on their clincher version? Any word about a different rim height?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

no and yes.

Of course this will now turn into a bunch of b!tchy school girl comments about vaporware because it wasnt ready yesterday...

cmh

by cmh

I finally saw some in person a few weeks back...even uglier than I expected.

bricky21

by bricky21

gumgardner wrote:Did they give up on their clincher version? Any word about a different rim height?
PezTech wrote:no and yes.

Of course this will now turn into a bunch of b!tchy school girl comments about vaporware because it wasnt ready yesterday...

Which :noidea:

No need to preempt the school girl b!tch session.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Teammate of mine just procured a set for racing duty. He's a 220lb locomotive, who also does pretty well on a climb (wierd). So it should be a good test to watch. He raced on them last weekend for the first time (at the "Giro di Coppi" in DC area) and liked them but I haven't gotten a detailed report yet. Sadly I run Campy and he's SRAM, so no chance to give them a test ride.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I think that's a problem with that tire and a lot of wheels. Not really Fair to blame madfiber for that.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What does that magnet do to the aerodynamics?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Well at least you don't have to worry about it not registering with the sensor :)

ChristianK

by ChristianK

laager wrote:eBay. 50 x 3mm diameter x 1mm thick neodymium magnets. $4 shipped.
Do you put one on each side of the spoke to hold it in place or do you just glue or silicon one magnet on the outer surface of the spoke?
laager wrote:Tube of silicone - $0 - already on hand (I use it for smearing around valve extenders to stop rattle). Problem solved. :thumbup:
Great idea, I will silicon mine up next week, I was annoying a few of the people I race against with my rear wheel clicking. ;)

Thanks, Christian.

ChristianK

by ChristianK

laager, thanks for the follow up.

Just some additional information about the Mad Fiber customer service as well. I sent my F&R wheels in for servicing. I sent the rear in because something (what I thought was the rear pawl) was catching on an occasion and was causing chain slap during coasting. This was not consistent but was something that did not happen out of the box. I sent the front wheel in just to ask if the trueness was to their standards. It was slightly out, not much, but I sent it in at the same time because I could.

Front wheel - Updated to the newer hub components that are in current production units and this actually helped improve trueness.

Rear wheel - They found something they did not like, apologized via a direct e-mail to me, and replaced the rear wheel at no charge.

The service only took a few days and when I opened the package once back from them...they gave me a little gift. A nice new set of Mad Fiber cork brake pads that I will most surely use. These pads work GREAT on these wheels.

This is just my experience and I would not set your sights on getting anything free, but it is nice to see a company that provides after sale service at this level.

Christian.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fireball05

by fireball05

Christian,

When did they switch to "newer hub components" I just got my set about 2 months ago and am wondering if I have "new" or "old".

Thanks!