www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

And DA cranks also :thumbup:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Thanks.

The cranks are probably only temporary until I find something I'm completely sold on - the Tune Smartfoot look nice, but I'm unconvinced by the design and concerned at how long they've taken to get to market (only just available now when they were supposedly 'ready' late last year).

The AX Morpheus was my ideal and I was ready to place my order, but they told me last week that it won't work on PressFit30, and they don't plan to develop it along those lines.

At the moment that leaves Zipp which are now discontinued (but I can still get hold of them) and EE which aren't available yet - the latter being my preference, based on their stiffness to weight ratio, although they're far from pretty! The EE may not be PressFit-ready either, but we'll see.

As it stands I like the 7900s, but I'm not keen on running adaptors and I'm still not sure on the look... :noidea:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Picked up a set of Cosmic Carbone SLRs to use whilst my Lightweights are being sorted - look as good as the Lightweights at less than half the price:

Ok so they're 400g heavier, but they're also nearly £2k cheaper! I kinda wish I'd just gone for these in the first place... :oops:

They need de-stickering too - there's definitely too much going on there now.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

They look great! Unlabeled - perfect! :thumbup:

kikkie

by kikkie

Lose the yelow on both tire and rim....

Miller76

by Miller76

Truly stunning bike, regardless of the wheelset/chainset combination. I think you've got a great bike that will keep you happy for a very long time!!! Enjoy and keep posting pictures!!!

KB

by KB

I've just bought a pair of CCU's. I'm back in the UK this weekend so my LBS is taking off the stickers. Apparently they are a bitch to remove. The hairdryer's been out for hours!!! Will also be removing the yellow on rims and tyres. Will do a stencil and spray over them.

The bike looks better each time I cast eyes on it.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

They are an utter nightmare to remove!

tharmor

by tharmor

Update?

I am extraordinarily curious about the success of this task.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

One side of each wheel done - no shots yet as the Lightweights are back on it at the moment.

Suffice to say if I had started peeling on the non-drive side I wouldn't have carried on! It's a bitch of a job.

andylav

by andylav

Nice work Rich

Would be keen to hear your thoughts / ride reviews on the Lightweights and the SLRs, both individually and comparatively.

Cheers

Andy

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've replied to Andy by email, but I thought I'd post most of it up here too...

Lightweights Vs the SLRs? Well, I've been off of the Lightweights for a while as some damage appeared on one of them (cue arguments with Carbon Sports, but that's a long story). I got the SLRs just before the LWs come back and thought they were every bit as good (if a little less stiff). I put the LWs back on yesterday. That put me straight.

Don't get me wrong, the SLRs are great wheels. I love the Exalith brake surface (I have the R-SYS SLRs too), they make a great noise, you don't seem to get blown about too much in the wind (they're 52mm compared to my 46mm DT Swiss and the LWs at 40mm, both of which I feel crosswinds on more) and don't feel as heavy as their 1595g (claimed). They also look very much like the LWs until you get right up close.

BUT, the Lightweights just feel *amazing*.

I almost wish I hadn't put the LWs back on the bike because I was planning to sell them, so reminding myself how good they are was a bit stupid. Being special order they cost me over £3500, but the whole issue with the damage and their handling of it (regardless of how the damage got there, their customer service was appalling) has really taken the edge off of the wheels, even to the point of not getting so excited about the look of them on the bike now. The issue is I will struggle to get even £2500 for them, but I wouldn't want to let them go for less than that.

But are the LWs £2k better? No. No way. Especially at only 400g lighter. That's £500 per 100g!! If you can afford LWs, get them. If you can't, the SLRs are the only clincher wheels on the market that look as good (CCUs do too, but they're not clinchers), and even then they brake MUCH better.

So unless someone will pay me £2500 for a repaired (and it is a very good repair) set of second hand LWs I'm either going to have to lie to my girlfriend about nobody wanting the LWs (because in truth I probably won't even advertise them) or sell the SLRs. I've only ridden the SLRs once so I'm not ready for that yet either!

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

:thumbup:
your life reads like a cautionary tale, but at least you are honest that LWs rock, and are likely too much wheel for you.

I hope you win the lottery to support your endless cascade of hasty mistakes with crankset and wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com