Anyone ride the Specialized Romin Sadle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Cattie

by Cattie

I wished bikeradar had more pictures.
Can't hardly wait...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

I have the carbon rail model sitting in a box in my closet awaiting my frameset to mount it too. It's the 155mm size and weighs 169g. It looks nice and comfy. I ride two Toupes on my road and rain bike. If it's as good as the toupe I'll never complain.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

hmai18

by hmai18

Side shot, but from a low angle. Looks like the Evo still has a bit of a kick in the tail and a more curved nose:

2012 Venge Pro by The Fitzroy Revolution, on Flickr

Cattie

by Cattie

hmai18 wrote:Side shot, but from a low angle. Looks like the Evo still has a bit of a kick in the tail and a more curved nose:

2012 Venge Pro by The Fitzroy Revolution, on Flickr

Looks a little bit like a SMP. I like the kick in the tail!

Can anyone with a romin evo measure the width of the nose?

KWalker

by KWalker

I've seen the Romin Evo in person and compared one to my regular Romin. I don't think I will like it. The nose isn't much narrower and the edges/padding is different and I don't know how it will make the saddle work better for me. I've long debated heating up and pulling off the front cover and dremelling down the nose a bit and regluing it back in place.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

grid256

by grid256

I've long debated heating up and pulling off the front cover and dremelling down the nose a bit and regluing it back in place.

Turns out I'm not crazy! I'm considering the same thing.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

grid256 wrote:
I've long debated heating up and pulling off the front cover and dremelling down the nose a bit and regluing it back in place.

Turns out I'm not crazy! I'm considering the same thing.

Ha! That makes 3 of us!

I need a width around the same as my Arione.

I'm not too handy and was thinking of taking it to an upholstery shop to have the cover removed and reglued.

KWalker

by KWalker

Its not hard to do and I'll probably do it in the next month or so and give it a shot. The glue isn't very thick and a simple heatgun should be able to pry it up.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Keep me posted. I've got two of the them that I am not using on account of the super wide nose. It chafes my inner thighs, but I brush the seatpost as well, so I'm not sure it is the saddle's fault.

When I took a look at the underside, it looked like you might ruin the integrity of the shell by shaving too much material away from the sides. It is quite wide where the rails attach to the shell.

Anth73

by Anth73

For guys who went from a Toupe to a Romin did you fing your saddle setback decreased even though the two saddles are almost identical in length?

I went from 5.5cm to 4.2cm from nose to BB centre. Sitting on the saddle whilst riding there is definitely more of the saddle nose visible in front of my crotch compared to the Toupe.

Cheers!

fa63

by fa63

If I remember correctly, the Romin is about 8 millimeters longer then the Toupe. It sounds like that difference might be in the front.

KWalker

by KWalker

The Romin is effectively 1 cm longer if you measure from the widest point of both saddles. It doesn't necessarily require any more/less effective setback, but subtract 1 CM from your bb to saddle tip measurement.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Anth73

by Anth73

I got to the same approximation of 1cm by lining up the two saddles on top of each other at the shoulders.

The other difference I noticed was that saddle height measured from the pedal axle along the seat tube to the top of the seat is about 4mm lower with the Romin compared to the Toupe. I set my saddles up level from nose to end and put this height difference down to the greater curve front-to-back with the Romin.

KWalker

by KWalker

The Romin also does not sag as much as the Toupe, so you effectively sit higher.

Tried the Evo out on a 4.5 hour ride Saturday- definitely feels different. Slightly less firm (but not soft at all) and the nose feels more comfortable. Giving it a run this week before going back to my Toupe.

I've tried other saddles in the meantime and keep going back to the Toupe even though it gives me slight saddle sores sometimes.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antifocus

by antifocus

Sorry to resurrect a old thread.

Did any Romin Evo Expert owner happen to weight their saddle?
My 143mm Evo Expert weights 232G, quite a big difference from the claimed 205G. :x
I bought it online, so I am just wondering if they sent me a fake one....