Anyone ride the Specialized Romin Sadle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RollinCaliGuy

by RollinCaliGuy

tonytourist wrote:I had one but didn't like the width at the nose of the saddle.
Gave it to my dad and he's happy :thumbup:

Too wide? If so I have heard from a very reliable source that may make you happy in the next few months...

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Yeah, I just couldn't get comfortable on it. I tried riding it again a month ago and didn't get along with it. Oh well, I'm happy with my Aliante for now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toshi

by toshi

I'd gone from a Toupe to Romin, and found the Romin much better. There is shell flex, but it's not as out of control as on the Toupe. The Romin nose is wide, but this hasn't a problem for me, it's definitely a problem for some. Mine is set level at the middle. I posted a review at http://supplesse.tumblr.com/post/3398080251

KWalker

by KWalker

I swapped to a flatter saddle that I had lying around today (Prologo Nago Evo) and the lower back rounding was almost completely gone.

I want to ask fellow Specialized users what their experience in swapping widths between the Romin and Toupe. I used to be on a 155 Toupe, which I found a tad wide and I was just on a 143 Romin. I've been told that the Romin actually runs a size bigger than the corresponding Toupe, but never found any definitive answer on this.

Also, which saddles have a similar profile to the Toupe? Not just flat, but similar curviture? The Prologo that I'm on doesn't support me very well and I want to consider other options before I get another Toupe.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

fa63

by fa63

KWalker wrote:I swapped to a flatter saddle that I had lying around today (Prologo Nago Evo) and the lower back rounding was almost completely gone.

I want to ask fellow Specialized users what their experience in swapping widths between the Romin and Toupe. I used to be on a 155 Toupe, which I found a tad wide and I was just on a 143 Romin. I've been told that the Romin actually runs a size bigger than the corresponding Toupe, but never found any definitive answer on this.

Also, which saddles have a similar profile to the Toupe? Not just flat, but similar curviture? The Prologo that I'm on doesn't support me very well and I want to consider other options before I get another Toupe.

I currently have a 143mm Toupe on one bike and 143mm Romin on another, and they feel similar width-wise. For me, the main difference between the two is that the Romin feels more comfortable when I am in the drops.

One non-Specialized saddle that I have had a good experience with was the Bontrager Inform RXL in 146mm width. It is somewhat flat but drops off a bit on the sides, and it seemed to provide good support although not as comfy as the Romin while in the drops.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

KWalker wrote:I swapped to a flatter saddle that I had lying around today (Prologo Nago Evo) and the lower back rounding was almost completely gone.

I have a 155 toupe on my Litespeed Niota Ti and 155 Romins on my cross and road bikes. What I have found is that the Romin's nose makes it feel wider all the way around. It doesnt actually run bigger per say (the widest point on both saddles is still 155).

JR

Cattie

by Cattie

RollinCaliGuy wrote:
tonytourist wrote:I had one but didn't like the width at the nose of the saddle.

Too wide? If so I have heard from a very reliable source that may make you happy in the next few months...

Now that the new romin evo saddle is anounced, can you say how much smaller the width of the nose is?

boots2000

by boots2000

Romin evo is narrower but main differences are more padding and also a softer "edge" to the saddle. You don't feel the corners like a Romin. It will be a nice saddle for many riders.

Cattie wrote:
RollinCaliGuy wrote:

Now that the new romin evo saddle is anounced, can you say how much smaller the width of the nose is?

boots2000

by boots2000

Other difference between Romin and Romin Evo- Romin seems to be a good saddle for 1 position type riders. It definately locks you in- not so good if you like to move around and work the saddle. Evo is better if you move around.

critracer26

by critracer26

Where was the romin evo saddle released? i dont see anything on thier site

ricerocket

by ricerocket

There's nothing on the site, other than if you look at the specs of the Venge, they list the Evo has the specced saddle.

hmai18

by hmai18

There's a sneak peak at it here: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... ment-30972

Are they changing the profile of the Romin Evo? Based on the description you gave about softening the edges and narrowing the nose, I don't quite see how that would make the saddle more conducive to changing position since that "kick" in the tail seems to keep you limited to one position.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Hmm, from that one pic on the linked site, it looks like it's flatter in the rear (both laterally and longitudinally).

boots2000

by boots2000

Tail may not come up as high as on the Romin.
Evo is like a more padded, narrower nose, more rounded edge version of the Romin.
It works for me- Romin does not work for me.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

I hope that the Romin Evo has a more narrow nose because that was the only deal breaker for me on the current Romin. The other comfortable saddle is the phenom. It is technically a mountain saddle but works very well as a road saddle. Plenty of padding, but not mushy either. Sure, they are heavier than the road versions, but I never try to save weight on saddles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com