Anybody making light disc specific rims yet?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

scott_racer

by scott_racer

Noticed the wheels in this article: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/07/07/ini ... road-bike/
30mm deep, 25mm wide disc specific carbon clinchers. Look nice, anyone know where they are from?

Heard of any light disc specific CX rims yet? Clincher/tub, carbon/Al. - what's out there for the crossers going to discs?
Start flat out ... then pick the pace up halfway

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

You could run Enve mountain bike tubular rims (29in of course). Claimed at 280g for 32mm depth and 24mm width, plus you wouldn't ever have to worry about strength! :)

scott_racer

by scott_racer

You're right, 29er rims are the obvious choice for a disc specific CX rim, but imagine if ENVE or Stan's narrowed down their 29er rims slightly and shaved a few grams off! That'd be the ultimate...
Start flat out ... then pick the pace up halfway

ras11

by ras11

Doesn't this assume there is a good light disc(k) fork availible? AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the 3T fork has not be released, and the only other options are ridged MTB ridged forks... which have some geometery issues.

My point is, why bother with the wheel if the fork is an anchor. But I certainly see the appeal. Sanding the sidewall down of carbon rims at every cross race seems a bit insane with rim brakes. Disks make sense.

Keep in mind that the Avid BB7 brakes, rotor, added spokes, and disk hub will add weight over rim brakes. So you might get a super light rim, but its likely offset by beefy brakes. Someone should run the numbers.
:-) Toys-R-Us

mcatano

by mcatano

ras11 wrote:Doesn't this assume there is a good light disc(k) fork availible? AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the 3T fork has not be released, and the only other options are ridged MTB ridged forks... which have some geometery issues.

Wound-Up have been making a disc-ready carbon cx fork for a few years now. No idea on weight, but probably lighter than the Winwood fork.

rustychain

by rustychain

I had a Woundup road fork that was over 400 grams. They are stiff but not light.

Am I wrong in thinking that you need a comparatively stronger wheel build to handle the stresses created by braking on a disc wheel? How light a rim is realistic?
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The above-mentioned Enve rims are said to be fine for cross-country mountainbiking. They'll be fine for CX as well then. Stan's Crest 29er rims should be fine as well (and much cheaper). They weigh around 365 grams each.

vcnz

by vcnz

I think if the weight is a concern, you shouldn't even consider disk brakes anyway

It doesn't make sense to me trying to save a few grams while adding 500gr with the brake system itself

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

My guess is that lighter cable disc brakes will be available soon. Otherwise proper hydraulic disc brakes will be lighter as well.

When everyone look at discs, remember that Avid's BB7 is a low-end disc-brake system...

jooo

by jooo

big post ahem. I guess that I'll start by saying that I'm basically referring to aluminum clinchers, only because there aren't really any 'disc only' aluminum cross tubulars available yet. Sure you can use something meant for rim brakes but that's not what this thread is about. I know that tubulars are the standard but tubeless is realistically becoming quite a good option for lots of people, especially when using rims better suited to the task like NoTubes. Now if only there were a few more UCI legal tyre choices. There's already plenty of carbon road and MTB tubulars that are suitable as well as a few clinchers so that's not a big issue if you're financially able to make that choice :mrgreen:

A quick search found this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5351110
MTBR:Real disk brake weight - post #5 wrote:Avid BB7 (type N)/Avid Ultimate levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 267g
Avid Juicy 7: 266g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Paul Love levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 251g
Avid Elixir CR: 250g
Shimano XTR PM: 248g
Avid Elixir R: 246g
Hope X2: 237.5g
Marta SL: 237g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Extralite Ultra levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 225g
Avid Juicy Ultimate: 226g
Avid Juicy Ultimate: 219g (with trimmed housing length)
Avid BB7 (type N)/KCNC levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 214g
Formula R1: 183g

So I've got no idea how accurate things are after a few years (and that refers to MTB brake levers) but it shows that the BB7 with some tricks isn't such a weight penalty compared with hydros (admittedly a few years out of date). That is without rotors and other hardware which is common between all set ups. Not only that but when you use really light small rotors which is acceptable on a cross bike, the weight penalty over rim brakes really isn't too bad compared with existing aluminum clinchers with machined sidewalls and cantilevers.

ras11 wrote:Doesn't this assume there is a good light disc(k) fork availible? AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the 3T fork has not be released, and the only other options are ridged MTB ridged forks... which have some geometery issues.

The same argument could be said of the frames though. Very few 'race' frames have been made with disc mounts previously so if you were set on discs with a real 'race' frame, going custom is probably your best option and then using the Trigon disc fork would be perfect because adjusting things to suit the slightly taller A2C would be very easy. Those forks have a respectable weight and the durability has been proven on many XC bikes. Not to mention the fork issue but also very few rear 130mm disc hubs exist so you'd be best off building something with 135mm rear spacing and being able to choose from many light and durable MTB hubs.

scott_racer wrote:You're right, 29er rims are the obvious choice for a disc specific CX rim, but imagine if ENVE or Stan's narrowed down their 29er rims slightly and shaved a few grams off! That'd be the ultimate...

I don't know if making the clinchers narrower would be worth it? The extra width can be fantastic for low pressure performance and basically the only common clincher that weighs less than the Crest is the 340 which is 4mm narrower for only small weight savings (albeit with a brake track). With that said, a disc only aluminum tubular would be pretty sweet. The only one's I'm aware of are MTB rims and they're wider than necessary for the base tape on a cross tubular and IIRC weigh more than something like a Major Tom or HED Belgium tubular.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

Reynolds has a couple offerings this year for Disc specific wheels. The Assault CX in Tubular and Full Carbon Clincher 24/24 1663g in Tubular. Not too shabby for a 46mm deep wheel and disc hub.

Hugo7

by Hugo7

Hi,

Two questions:

First, does anyone know of any wide (23mm or more), light, and deep alu clincher rims? Basically I'm hunting for something similar to the Kinlin rims, but which would feel happier with bigger tyres.

Second, are there any Chinese carbon clincher rims which are 23mm+.

Equally a deep section 29er would probably work.

Cheers.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Ax Lightness SRT CC 29" rim weighs just 255gr

Hugo7

by Hugo7

Wow. Those look nice.

...but I was really after clinchers... and not too pricey (sub $100 a rim).

Velocity Chuckers are about the closest I seem to have found, but 664g a rim can >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com