Pegoretti Marcelo Ciavete paint - low pro wheels Page 12

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dcj9

by dcj9

yikes, i agree those cable cuts are too long. never noticed it during the build - they'll have to go.

first 50 mile ride report:

groupset choice
first observation is that 2011 campag super record seems faster and slicker than the athena 2011 on my other bike which i wasn't expecting. for example the front mech shifting on SR is the fastest i have ever used.
my previous favourite groupset for shift quality up to today was still shimano 7800.
however, the aesthetics, quality and shifting precision of campag SR is a notch ahead. i'm surprised how much better this groupset is. the 11 speed KMC chain presented no operational issues so far.

road buzz
after about 1 hour ride time, i reflected the lack of road buzz.
the backroads i ride on have suffered greatly in the last two winters.
i have owned performance orientated bikes at both ends of the comfort spectrum including a Focus izalco extreme carbon (stiff as the name suggests and giving you all the road buzz) and a litespeed ti ghisallo (comfy and smooth).
however the peg, while stiffer than anything else i have ridden also has marginally less road buzz than the ghisallo so i can already see how useful this characteristic will be on longer rides.

precision under stress
i tried an uphill 100m burst of speed in the big ring in traffic and the bike felt immensely together. pulling hard on the bars did not change the response either: the frame and fork stiffness is completely matched. its not just the BB that is stiff. i am sure other brands achieve this too, but this is a first for me.

descending at speed
not much to say other than higher speeds i reached don't change the handling behavior at all. some bikes can start to handle slightly differently above 35 mph, especially over bumps.
the peg remains completely calm. i didn't get it above 45mph today though.

cornering and agility
today i had the confidence a couple of times to pick a corning line i would not normally attempt on other bikes. i don't know why i felt i could do it, but somehow i had the confidence already.
interestingly some of the nervousness from the carbonsports lightweight wheels is reduced on the peg compared with the focus izalco they were originally fitted to.

climbing
the peg is about 1.5 lbs heavier than the bike it replaced, which is not noticeable on any climb.
subjectively, it felts more agile and more resistent to seated and out of the saddle efforts.
Last edited by dcj9 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

Great looking bike, I would have painted the fork to match but hey that's a detail.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

dcj9, thank you for the quick ride report. Sounds like you made the right choice, but then again it is hard to go wrong with a Pegoretti, full SR group and LWs!

Would appreciate another update when you have had a chance to ride the bike a few more times.

Let me repeat what a beauty it is... bravo. You are very fortunate to be able to ride that masterpiece. :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

LionelB

by LionelB

BTW, what was your previous frame?

dcj9

by dcj9

previous recent: focus izalco extreme carbon and litespeed ghisallo. current other bike is rebuilt trek 5200 carbon.

LionelB

by LionelB

Then yes you are getting a much more refine ride I guess.

shinyboy

by shinyboy

LionelB wrote:Great looking bike, I would have painted the fork to match but hey that's a detail.

+1
Maybe you could order one of Dario's 'Falz' forks, when they become available - and get him to paint it to match.

DCJ9
Totally agree regarding the feel of these things out on the road, my responsorium wipes the floor with everything I've ridden to date and you really don't notice the extra grams.

kikkie

by kikkie

OMG take off that gold chain, that bike is too pretty and stunning for that kind of kitsch :)

old codger

by old codger

Gorgeous ride,i like the fact that you extended the head tube rather than put extra spacers on and i think the paint job is top notch.

Well done.

wilson78

by wilson78

Wow - thats quite a paint finish, challenging but in a good way, and an awesome spec to go with it.
Very nice indeed!
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Good to see a well ridden post ride review like that, not many do that so beautifully... :thumbup:
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

dcj9

by dcj9

thanks for your replies. i'll attend to the cable cuts and fit the shorter stem currently on order.
i also intend to follow up with a further ride report after a few more miles.

the only thing i might change is to go with a carbon stem in the future. originally i wanted to match the diameter of the frame tubes better, but the plain alloy does not look as nice.

i am waiting to see what Roobay fits to his Peggy :wink:

LionelB

by LionelB

I do not see the point of a carbon stem. The one you have now is just fine.

shinyboy

by shinyboy

10cm stem - seems short for a frame of that size?

I second LionelB's opinion on carbon, they all look a bit bulky and ugly to me :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

3T 10cm pro stem arrived, fitted and test ridden tonight. good old wiggle for speed :wink:

removed all the decals except for the white stripes for now. just to see.
not sure whether to keep or remove. any views?

new 10cm stem with white stripes

old 12cm stem with no stripes/decals