Project: English

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

The English logos are so subtle, so awesome, that I woudln't want the ENVE logo to take away from it.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Really, this bike should be stickied up there. It's so elegant and svelte, yet clearly capable and strong.
Excellent, excellent build!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yossarian

by Yossarian

Seven days after the English arrived I crashed it...

The full story is up on my blog here - http://www.saltedmackerel.cc - basically a guy drove straight across in front of me on a roundabout without looking.

Amazingly, myself and the bike are both pretty much ok. The shock was far worse than the minor scratches and aches I've got now. The bike has a minor tear in the bar tape and a scuffed brake lever. The saddle had been knocked out of position, which I tapped back at the time. I think the rails had moved in the clamp, rather than it being anything more serious.

I have to say, I don't recall ever riding a road bike with better brakes, and as it was the slowing down that really saved my life, I think the bike is literally miraculously good.

It already feels like an old friend - there is nothing unpredictable or unsettling about it. Thanks to the slightly longer wheelbase and low BB it feels stable, but also seems very pointable and accurate. I think the latter must be down to the fact that the cockpit is much stiffer than anything I've used before.

The wheels are especially nice, and I really appreciated how nice when I swapped over to a crappy rented Powertap wheel at the weekend. That rubbed on the rear brake badly when riding out of the saddle, and the fact that it had a faulty not-very-free freehub didn't help much either. Can't wait for the Garmin Vector to come out...

It's the nicest thing I think I've ever owned.

Yossarian

by Yossarian

And here we both are, in action (some hours before I came off!)

elviento

by elviento

Both rider and bike look all business. Very impressive build~

2 comments: how does the lateral stiffness feel compared to the mainstream frames you have used? Ever thought of using a "slimmer" stem to match the overall looks of the bike?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Congratulations on the bike. It is simply fantastic.

Sorry to hear about your crash, and good to hear you and the bike are ok!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Yossarian

by Yossarian

elviento wrote:Both rider and bike look all business. Very impressive build~

2 comments: how does the lateral stiffness feel compared to the mainstream frames you have used? Ever thought of using a "slimmer" stem to match the overall looks of the bike?

i did think that a slimmer stem would've been nice. But I liked the idea of keeping the whole front end Enve. I agree that it looks a tiny bit too chunky. The steering is very precise though.

I've not ridden anything recently apart from my old Litespeed Tuscany (which it's noticeable stiffer than) but am trying out some new carbon frames soon which should make interesting comparisons.

Yossarian

by Yossarian

I got Rob to build up a pair of the new Enve 6.7 rims on Alchemy hubs for the bike - should have them glued up and fitted very soon! It should look really amazing with them on I think...

In the meantime, a couple of pics of the bike in action in the Alps - what it was designed for!

Yossarian

by Yossarian

Not a great shot, and the bikes a bit grubby, but I finally have the Enve 6.7 wheels on, and the originally planned 52/36 gearing...

pocketbeagle

by pocketbeagle

very nice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

How do the wheels ride?

USofChay

by USofChay

You look a little bit like Cancellara.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I can't get over how damn low that seat tube bottle cage is...! :shock:

Yossarian

by Yossarian

In reply to all three of you...

I haven't ridden the wheels yet! I've only just fitted them, and I need to swap in some new brake cables, as the Enve rims are pretty wide and there wasn't enough room with the very short cables I have on currently. I am expecting them to be very fast, and more importantly, make a nice rumbling noise.

I have never been compared with Fabian Cancellara before, but I will take it as a compliment. Someone recently pointed out that I looked remarkably like Vincent Casell. Another favourable comment, assuming they didn't mean the podgy stage towards the end of Mesrine.

Rich - it is low, but I can reach it fine. I wonder if Rob's theory is to do with a low centre of gravity?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Yossarian wrote:Rich - it is low, but I can reach it fine. I wonder if Rob's theory is to do with a low centre of gravity?

I guessed as much. Makes sense, although I'm not sure I'd have been keen on the Baum, visually.

Yossarian

by Yossarian

Actually, having ogled it again this morning, I do have the downtube cage attached via the the lower pair of holes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com