Heat training study

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rustychain

by rustychain

http://www.cxmagazine.com/training-tues ... cyclocross

Cx magazine had this article. Not enough info on the methodology but they concluded that training at high temps can not only improve hot weather performance but even cold weather performance. Perhaps of some interest????
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I recall reading something similar a while back, something along the lines of plasma volume and improved thermal regulation/stress (and consequently improved performance). Along those lines, those with a higher level of fitness perform better in the heat.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teddysaur

by teddysaur

There was quite a few studies from triathlon especially training for the Hawaii Kona Ironman. It takes around 2 weeks for the body to adapt to the stress.

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

Tapeworm wrote:those with a higher level of fitness perform better in the heat.

those with a higher level of fitness seem to beat me no matter the temperature :roll:

but I know what you are trying to say :wink:

Bapti

by Bapti

Sounds like training in my shed, bit of a sauna this time of year

capnc

by capnc

Shouldn't training improve your fitness regardless of the conditions :D

thechad

by thechad

capnc wrote:Shouldn't training improve your fitness regardless of the conditions :D

Actually, study used a very low level of effort (50%) in order to provide some heat stress with minimal training effect.

The magnitude of their reported improvements was quite large (6%!) compared with, say, the 2-3% improvements reported from altitude training.

rustychain

by rustychain

Thanks for actually reading the study. I was wondering if anyone noticed the implications. I hope to see some followup on this research soon.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

rustychain wrote:I was wondering if anyone noticed the implications.

Manufacturers of in-home high altitude environment tents see a drop in sales. They hire scientists to generate tests that point to altitude being superior to heat-training, or the dangers of heat training, hoping to reinvigorate altitude tent sales.

New era of manufacturers and start ups specializing in in-home, high-temperature training environments. Lobbyist contingent is formed to help these new manufacturers deal with politicians and institutions after use of this technique is somehow implicated in a performance enhancement method that is illegal or dangerous (see prior). UCI balks.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

rustychain

by rustychain

A distinct possibility. I'm unaware however of manufacturers of serious heat training equipment :noidea: Altitude tent do work I think but truthfully I have never used one or studied the issue in depth.
While plausible I'm inclined to sit on the fence until I see more on this issue. IMO this study has some methodology issues but is still interesting. Another thing to consider is that I'm of Nordic blood and hate training in the heat :wink:
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Alan Lim conducted a series of tests with lance Armstrong on core body temp. This was for his comeback to the tour down under.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9Y3LvS6J4&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peImMsz1 ... re=related

Dr. Stacy Sims
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2cbq2PY ... re=related

Core temp day 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-_sSr_ ... re=related

Did all this work? :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree