English Custom Steel Integrated di2 USB - Updated Pics pg20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Who? Me? I'm a portly 158 pounds these days. I need to ride more. This should provide incentive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WillieSkelly

by WillieSkelly

These frames look great and top marks to the builder.

In response to the brazing queries, if someone is in contact with the frame builder, ask if he has come across a gas fluxer. I suspect from the appearance of the work that he is using brush on flux. A gas fluxer lets liquid flux sit in the acetylene line with the gas bubbling through it, and totally removes the need for brushing on. It will make his life 10 times easier if he is not currently using it.

Looking forward to more pics.

Willie

robenglish
in the industry

by robenglish

Thanks Willie - yes I do use a gas fluxer, can't imagine brazing without one! But when silver brazing I have to apply the low temperature flux particular to that material, and I prefer to use silver whenever I am brazing direct to the butted sections of the tubing. Plus it has much better penetration than brass, so will suck completely under, for example, the front derailleur hanger.
Rob.

WillieSkelly

by WillieSkelly

I understand Rob, apologies if it seemed I was trying to teach granny how to suck eggs. I didn't spot that it was silver type solder/brazing around the mounts and bits as I just assumed you'd "bronze welded" it all like the tacks.

Looking forward to more pics. I assume you smooth the joints at the end, but any chance of a "just done" photo or two as there are a few people (me) who get over excited about neat brazing.

Sorry for going off topic, just got a bit excited.

Willie

BmanX

by BmanX

Here are a few pictures of the welds from my build that I found. Maybe this will show you what you are looking for.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

deltasierra

by deltasierra

We should all be so lucky as to have 158 be our portly side. Clearly Rob's frames aren't for everyone, but I am coming around on them for those who are fit and right-sized. He clearly builds stuff no one else is doing. And, honestly, not everyone can ride unless pretty lean and mean.

All the internal routing still makes me a bit nervous, but BMan's and your frame are changing what I think about Rob's ideas.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am well north of 158 and my bike is holding up very very well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

robenglish
in the industry

by robenglish

Fork pretty much done.....

BmanX

by BmanX

Rob, great work on the forks. Maybe an upgrade one day for me.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

KWalker

by KWalker

How does one of these forks compare to an Edge or other carbon fork?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

robenglish
in the industry

by robenglish

A lightweight steel fork will be a little heavier than a carbon fork (I'll weigh this one, though of course it has no steerer....), but will generally give a more resilient ride - you can see the fork tips moving and absorbing chatter from the road surface.
Rob.

KWalker

by KWalker

still as stiff?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I wasn't looking for "stiff" on this build. This is for comfort. This bike is going to be used for all day rides over gently rolling terrain. I don't anticipate any sprinting on this bike. So I am certain it will be adequately stiff for my needs.

I think the fork looks amazing!

KWalker

by KWalker

oh I'm not hating, I'm just wondering. I'm sure you can build something suitable with just about any material and since so many people just slap an Edge on there its cool to see the alternatives.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I confess to a bit of vanity with this project... I want it to be a comfortable, well-fitting bike, that attracts a lot of attention by being unique. It probably won't be a weight weenie in the sense of the sub-6.8 kg world, but it should still be pretty light compared to other steel rides, with a lot more personality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com