R3 Madone Dogma updated page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

deltasierra

by deltasierra

Sky paint should be built Sky spec IMO. Put your Trek's 7900 on this, at the least.

cnbky

by cnbky

sram has the best fit, of course thats completely personal - shimano follows that...waiting/looking out for a good second hand or lower price on the DI2 (id make an exception for di2 :D )

that aside, i don't agree with the whole if thats what the pro-team fits idea....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BC75

by BC75

Great build.....like the look with and without stickers.

I have a very similar build in mind.....just waiting for groupo.....any ride report.....particularly how do you like the sram red with the Dogma?
cycling is like church.....many attend, but few understand

sawyer

by sawyer

nice rigs! esp. with the stickered 343s. Love the way you've handed the living room over to the bikes! Nice work :beerchug:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cnbky

by cnbky

this is whats happened to my living room!

DSC_0115 by canbakay, on Flickr

never mind the red tires!

DSC_0026 by canbakay, on Flickr

a buddies r3 with cosmic slrs 6.9kg size 51

photo-4 by canbakay, on Flickr

more living room domination!!!

DSC_0116 by canbakay, on Flickr

cnbky

by cnbky

BC75 wrote:Great build.....like the look with and without stickers.

I have a very similar build in mind.....just waiting for groupo.....any ride report.....particularly how do you like the sram red with the Dogma?

whats your build going to be like?

with the sram red, like i said above i dont like the notions of others standards, i tested a quite a few bikes and knew how i personally worked with sram/shimano/campy so i made the decision to mix the things that work best...for me.

as to how the dogma works technically with sram, 0 problems...

as for looks, the blue in person works very (surprisingly) well with the sky blue. red doesnt really work with darker blues i think.
up close, the black parts of the sram really (crank) match the blacks on the sky scheme.

ride report for the frame i can sum up in one line: i can really trust the bike to do whatever i want to do...this is particularly important for me for several reasons....mainly: more trust = more comfort in taking controlled risks = better ride/outcome
im sure ill get the :shock: look but i didnt have that with my r3...

cnbky

by cnbky

Finally got some proper photos, its finally done and at 6615g - been getting in some serious miles since the weather has turned for the better in the UK.

Also want to say how incredibly happy i am with the zipp brakes, probably saved me from a serious crash recently although its wear seems to be very very fast!

Does anyone know if the reynolds blue pads are close to the sky blue of the dogma and if it will work okay with zipps?

1 by canbakay

3 by canbakay

4 by canbakay

2 by canbakay

9 by canbakay

8 by canbakay

6 by canbakay

5 by canbakay

7 by canbakay

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Great pics! :thumbup:

Very good weight for a Dogma also...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

cnbky

by cnbky

So a few changes, 303/404 now gone replaced by 404 firecrests with veloflex carbons. Look keo ti blades and another cage. A custom prologo saddle clip is on the way with a dual flag pattern. Have been thinking of fiber lyte chainrings which would save 61g but decided that I wont be investing in my drive train...waiting to see what the campy will be like vs di2.

photo-3 by canbakay

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I would go no stickers.....the stickers make the bike look to buisy! The Dogma set up looks very different then your Cervelo, it looks you have a lot less saddle-handelebar drop on the Dogma and 20-30mm spacers. Great build and very nice pictures :thumbup:
Ordered my Dogma 2 frameset last week and will build it with Campagnolo 11 SR/R mix, Bora Ultra two and Hed 4/6 PM wheels.

finner

by finner

Nice bike. Looks cleaner without the sky stickers but not a deal breaker either way. Nice grass btw! How do the bikes compare ride wise? Must be difficult to judge given all the options......That 3t bar looks very neat.

cnbky

by cnbky

a few updates that i've wanted for a while. I sanded the handlebars down to its nude UD look, clear coated it. thinking of doing it to the stem but not sure yet.

sram red got replaced with di2, it is externally routed but turned out much much better than i expected. mosquito bikes did a great job setting it up! Ill add some routing photos if anyone is interested.

wet sanding with 600
photo-5 by canbakay, on Flickr

first layer of coating
photo-1 by canbakay, on Flickr

second layer of coating
photo-2 by canbakay, on Flickr

the 3t ltd grey line didnt quite fit, much cleaner this way
photo-4 by canbakay, on Flickr

the lizard skin race tape, similar pattern to the dimples on zipp rims, a nice match imo.
photo by canbakay, on Flickr

was looking for a jet black tape, tried with the pro-silicone tape. not as black as i wanted and a little heavy
photo-3 by canbakay, on Flickr

will upload a proper photo.
d1 by canbakay, on Flickr

planning on changing the saddle to a much lighter jet black to match the front end.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Not to go too off topic, but...

Tell us about how you did the clear coat. I've been thinking of stripping and clearcoating my ENVE stuff (seatpost, stem, and bars), and it looks like yours turned out well.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

cnbky

by cnbky

based on my limited knowledge, enve should be very easy compared to the 3t.

soft wet sand paper, 600 for the whole thing and some patience.

i used some washing up liquid (fairy lemon) in water as advised by another member - worked well. (tea spoon in half water glass ratio)
since the 3t had a layer or clear coat, i had to remove until bare carbon all over to get an even and perfect look.

as long as you put the time in, theres no way to mess it up.

after everything i cleaned it with nail polish remover (with no scent or extras)

two quick layers of this (make sure you spray quick, efficient and evenly)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165495

30 mins dry time between then left it over night outside hanging.

lastly, polish & done. :beerchug:

one thing to be careful of is to somehow leave the gritty part at the middle (to ensure a nice bond between the stem and bar when in place) i managed to only leave half of it and without over torqued stem bots, its well in tact.

DSC_1520 by canbakay, on Flickr

DSC_1499 by canbakay, on Flickr

cnbky

by cnbky

Several parts are being switched out for lighter parts which will eventually go on a ww build. What ever that comes off will be saved to go back on the Dogma. I've started looking for frames but I'm not in a rush. I'd like to build a sub 5.5kg goat without compromising on braking power or tire quality. Perhaps veloflex records. Should have all gathered by the coming summer.

So far I've loved what I've read about stork 0.6 but I'd like something less 'common', Raugmer Uberlight
I'm open to suggestions to something along those lines. I'm 72kg and loosing at the moment so weight restrictions aren't a problem.

The budget isn't a huge issue as I'm spreading the purchases. This way it doesn't become lump sum and part won't gather dust.

I'd like to see if I can get it down to 6.2kg, currently it is at 7050g with 2 cages.

I've ordered some parts that should arrive within the week, as a starter.

Tune top cap and screw 4g
Tune skyline skewers 17,5g
Extralite expander UltraStar II 7g
Ax-lightness Endurance Saddle 76g (which has very similar measurements as my prologo scratch pro)

Some 'free' savings:

Zipp 404 stickers X 12 14g
Removed one cage (which goes back on when necessary) 29g

By realistic calculations that saves 218g bringing it down to just over 6.8g

Next, I'll be tuning the RD which will be followed by some test rides on a set of Lightweights

With an ax cockpit, I'd save a further 96g.

I'd love to hear some suggestions and help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com