Wheel builder in Ottawa, Canada? Does that one look good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kresyzig

by kresyzig

Hi,

so I have that problem with my rear wheel that I described in another thread and I am looking for the best wheel builder in Ottawa, Canada. So far the best I have found is Tall Tree Cycle. It seems to be an old school shop. They have a dedicated wheel building section on their website. They list these services (c.f. http://www.talltreecycles.ca/Wheelbuilds/):

-Custom lacing pattern
-Tie and solder
-Electric hub motors
-40 + hole drilling
-Build with spoke head washers

They got also a spoke machine

I will need to go chat with them, but at first sight it seems they seem to know what they are doing more than any other shop I went to in my area. I don't know if you have any input (whether or not if you are from Ottawa), but to me if they mention tie and solder and spoke head washers, they seem to be quite knowledgeable at the very least... What do you think?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Voye

by Voye

My friend and team partner is a privite shop owner and builds wheels right here in Ottawa. I ride 2 sets and the wheels are awesome. He does excellent work and he is very diligent. The buisness is called DMD Velocity. You can send him an email at dand@dmdvelocity.ca

Cheers

Chris

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

kresyzig wrote: but to me if they mention tie and solder and spoke head washers, they seem to be quite knowledgeable at the very least... What do you think?
Probably a safe bet that Jobst Brandt is not an owner of that shop. http://yarchive.net/bike/tying-and-soldering.html

kresyzig

by kresyzig

Voye wrote:My friend and team partner is a privite shop owner and builds wheels right here in Ottawa. I ride 2 sets and the wheels are awesome. He does excellent work and he is very diligent. The buisness is called DMD Velocity. You can send him an email at dand@dmdvelocity.ca

Cheers

Chris

Thanks. I sent him an email

kresyzig

by kresyzig

HammerTime2 wrote:
kresyzig wrote: but to me if they mention tie and solder and spoke head washers, they seem to be quite knowledgeable at the very least... What do you think?
Probably a safe bet that Jobst Brandt is not an owner of that shop. http://yarchive.net/bike/tying-and-soldering.html

Well... I did not intend to have my aero wheels tied and soldered anyway :) This is one of the reasons why I said Tall Tree Cycles looked like an old school shop. What I am looking for is an experienced and good wheel builder, as opposed to a student working in a bike shop during the summer who has barely any wheel building experience...

mclaren

by mclaren

Guys like ergott and zen cyclery will build and ship to Ottawa. I found the Canadian wheel builders to charge too much and not have the component selection like the US builders do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kresyzig

by kresyzig

mclaren wrote:Guys like ergott and zen cyclery will build and ship to Ottawa. I found the Canadian wheel builders to charge too much and not have the component selection like the US builders do.

I know and this is what I would do if I was getting a new wheel. But I already have the wheel and it needs to be rebuilt...