How Cervelo deals with his customers...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benz76

by benz76

Today I wrote a mail to Cervelo, in order to get some answers about something appeared on this forum some time ago: Cervelo R2.5 real weight.

I only asked them if their EVERYWHERE (on their website) claimed weight was correct. Here what they've replied:

Thank for your your-mail. Please note that we cannot respond to the questions listed below. If your question was not one of these, we will strive to answer you as soon as possible. The questions we cannot respond to are:

What size am I?
Even the best online fit is no match for a mediocre personal fit. There are simply too many variables, so we need to see you in person to accurately determine the size of frame you need. We are aware there are online sizing engines, but we are also aware of the horrible results they sometimes produce. There is no substitute for a good fit by a local dealer.

<b>How much does it weigh?<b>
Virtually all frames in the universe weigh between 2-4 lb. Cervélo frames are no different. You add the same parts kit to each frame, the maximum difference is still 2 lb. You add a 100-250 lb. rider, and the difference is still 2 lb. Weight is only of limited importance to begin with, and these 2 lb. on a total weight of bike and rider combined will not make any noticeable difference.

A second problem is that virtually everybody lies about their frame weights. So we have the option of either lying as well, or being honest and appearing a few ounces heavier than the lies from other manufacturers. Neither option is very appealing.

So concentrate on what really matters (comfort, stiffness, durability, aerodynamics) and rest assured that your Cervélo will be competitive in weight, and superior in most other aspects.

Thank You,

-Team Cervelo

Any comment on this?

Bye, Benz.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

A honest response at least.
One thing is true, all manufacturers lie about their products weights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

A Fair answer.

Look on this site or one of the retailers of cervelo to find the weight. A lot of shops list the weight.

gholl

by gholl

As far as I can see, Cervelo's response is disingenuous.
Some manufactures lie about weight-that's why this website exists, but others opt for honesty. Cervelo has decided on a discrete corporate coverup. Cute, but one has to wonder what else there're covering up.
Furthermore, their notion that weight doesn't matter is an affront to our Forum members. What else doesn't matter to Cervelo?
In any event, members can quickly set matters to right by posting the weight of their frames! That's why were're here!

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

spaniardclimber wrote:A honest response at least.
One thing is true, all manufacturers lie about their products weights.

Not all. There are even some too pessimistic manufacturers:
(numbers in brackets are the currently listed entries of each brand)

−1,63% tune [51]
−0,57% SRAM [23]
−0,21% Hutchinson [30]
−0,01% Schwalbe [38]
+0,15% Shimano [140]
+0,67% Campagnolo [36]

Joel

by Joel

Florian, where can we find those per cents?

J-Nice

by J-Nice

I for one feel that Cervelo at least adopted the notion that weight is not AS important as making a great frame. Lightweight components and frames are important to ALL of us here on this website, but they apparently have a different take on it.

Oswald

by Oswald

Not everyone is a weight weenie... I mean, seriously, some people on here would pay sick amounts off money to make their bike 2 grams lighter... There's nothing wrong with being a weight weenie, some companies even get a kick out of producing the lightest parts!

This company just has a different approach and a lot of people (the kind of people they want to help) will like their style... a lot of riders just want something reliable and affordable...

I like their answer...

gholl

by gholl

To reiterate my previous post, I'm always disturbed when someone will not give a straight answer to a legitimate question. Cervelo knows full well what their bikes weigh-it's not that they can't give this information-they won't give it! Why not? What's to hide?
The fact that some manufacturers give false weights, that weights may vary due to production changes, or the way they are measured, and that weight is only one factor in making or chosing a bike, etc. are facts only too well known to everyone.
The fact that this forum exists tells me that people are interested in the weights of bikes and parts-if a company won't give that out that information we'll find it out ourselves anyway. But, I'm always going to wonder-what other information won't they reveal-and why.

Oswald

by Oswald

gholl wrote:But, I'm always going to wonder-what other information won't they reveal-and why.

They worship Satan and use the money they make to prepare taking over the world...

What's there to hide? They gave you an answer: they don't give a f*ck about weight. If you are someone who weens about weight (?), than you don't belong in the group of customers they want to take care of... They tried to convince you (Join us, it's bliss!!), but obviously didn't succeed...

gholl

by gholl

Cervelo didn't succeed in convincing me and neither do you. Your dumb cliches and obscenities do little for you or your argument.
I'm not going to be deterred from exposing a fraud by the menaces of a punk.

Oswald

by Oswald

gholl wrote:Cervelo didn't succeed in convincing me and neither do you. Your dumb cliches and obscenities do little for you or your argument.
I'm not going to be deterred from exposing a fraud by the menaces of a punk.

Relax man... some people have no sense of humor...

gholl

by gholl

Most people have a sense of humor and a sense of decency-you display neither.
As far as relaxing, we'll all be more relaxed without your dumb platitudes and obscenities-they have no place on this forum.

ceitsab

by ceitsab

the r2.5 sl that pasted the efbe frame test wieghed under a kilo. i think this regular version is still pretty light, comparable with an oclv. i just don't think cervelo cares to go down that road when selling a bike. i have read in a number of their postings that they could make a stupid light bike but so could anyone. it would be crap to ride but it can be done. they would rather make a great bike and not waste their time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

norcal

by norcal

This is a dialog I have with myself all of the time. I want a light bike, a nimble bike, a strong (enough) bike. I want a bike that can deliver more than I can ask of it. And I always ask myself: What difference will 50gms really make? or even 150? or even 450? perhaps in the case of Cervelo. Heck, I vary up to 2 pounds a day, and I have to carry myself up the hill every time I ride. So many people ride with TWO water bottles on their 16lb bikes. Water weighs 8lbs a gallon. One guy on this site said he saves weight on his bike by wearing a camelback! Have you checked out the weight of a camelback? Ooch. Howcome, no-one ever asks what shoes weigh, and no company devulges this info. You've got to haul the shoes up too, don't you?
The other thing thing that strikes me funny is that people focus on rotational weight. Isn't the concept that a force in motion, will remain in mothion. Yes we have to set it into motion first, but the energy is not lost unless you hit the brakes.
None the less, I want a frame under 2.5lbs max. and I bought American Classic 420's to replace my Ksyrium Elites, and I'm looking at lighter components because... in truth I'm addicted to this sport, an looking at it's equiptment and cruising the web in search of more bike info is the closest I can come to riding to fill my obsession until my next ride. :roll:
    If i could only be riding now