A little something from the weekend.
I think I will call it wasserogre.
Yes its light but trust me this thing is UGLY looking, and dont worry btp/tune, I know this looks a bit like your cages but im not planning on selling it and even if I did I wouldn't buy it as it looks like its been made by a child.
Seems to function well enough, I can imagine bottles getting stuck in being more of a problem than bottles falling out. And the best bit... It was virtually free.
If anyone is interested in how I made such a monstrosity it was as follows. I am a mechanical engineer and have studied composites design and manufacture, so I know this isnt pretty, using a mould would have given much better results but the more time I spend making moulds the less time riding.
1. Wrap bottle in clingfilm, glue on bolts in correct position
2. Lay up woven reinforcement in bolt area
3. wrap UD (as I had some for free, woven/1 layer woven probably better) around bottle
4. leave to cure 90%
5. Remove from bottle, peal off clingfilm
6. use dremel to make it look a little less scruffy and fix holes
The 'top-cap' I made the other day in a flurry of "ah i have so much resin left I must make something with it before it sets" Is only 2g so I'm questioning if it will be strong enough. I will see how it works out but currently its finish is poor and roundness is questionable, I may tension the headset with another top-cap, do up the stem then use this to hold it all down after, It could then be used on a ride if the headset ever comes lose whist riding.
And just in case anyone is interested the parts that were removed from the frame all weighed 100g exactly!