but how does it ride?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Miles

by Miles

I understand the nausia you weenies must feel churning in your stomachs when you see a bike like mine, but you really should try one someday.

I ride a Turner XCE (650lb coil spring) with a Z1 Freeride (thats a bomber), raceface everywhere, 2.5" Azonic risers, xt everywhere including discs, tubeless vertical pro 2.3 and 14 gauge non butted spokes (alloy nipples though). It weighs around 13.5 kg. :shock:

It rides soooooo well.

I do understand the benefits of weight savings but for me the ride comes first, reliability second and weight third.

dice

by dice

To be honest I have ridden a few fully's and do like 'm....but I quess your bike rides alot like a big caddy and mine like a porsche..two rides you just CANNOT compare !!
but sick to my stomach ?? no man...I bet when I ride your bike I will probably like it but when pedalling up the cristalp...I would have wished I stayed with my 8.7kg hardtail with Fox80X !!

:lol: :lol:
this rider aims at anything on eight wheels...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

There is nothing to prevent a certified weight weenie from having the lightest DH bike on shuttle days... Only mines built around an Ellsworth Id frame with Fox Vanilla 125RLC forks.

Miles, If you want more more duable wheels try ditching the PG 2.0mm spokes for some 2.0/1.8/2.0s.

For me the ride is brilliant, reliability is high (Hugi FR Hubs, Turbine LP Cranks, XTR Derailliers/ Shifters...) and weight is not to scary. Only thing I don't do is the big drops (But I prob wouldn't do them even on a 8"+ travel bike)

LostBoyScout

by LostBoyScout

'Weight Weenie' can mean several things, and to several degrees, for several reasons.

For some, it's about shaving unneeded weight.. which is a tough balance to find. It's different for every rider.

For some, it's a hobby. Nothin' wrong with that either. It's about numbers, and about looks. And just the fun of lifting up the bike, and displaying the bike.

For some, it's an addiction to speed, and the acceleration. It's a mathematical fact that the faster you want a bike to accelerate, the lighter it should be (tires, frame stiffness etc also factors)

Most riders are the first breed.

polaris

by polaris

We all want the lightest bike we can get. It'd be fairly stupid not to. :idea:

What makes the difference is how we balance weight savings with the other aspects of living and riding.

For example, if you really wanted the lightest bike you'd by a unicycle or, if you insisted on two wheels, a road bike. But unless they meet your riding needs they're no use.

Secondly, lighter bikes are expensive. Whether the grams saved per $ is worth it is likely to be a function of how much cash you have and what else you need to spend it on. Why spend more than you can afford if it means spending less time riding? :cry:

So if you've got money to burn and need a 6inch travel bike, buy one. :shock: Personally, I find my Scott G-zero Pro does the job. :P
.....but it still has to work!