Cervelo R5ca 51cm 10.75 lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TOflat

by TOflat

Both of your bikes are just lustful. This is why I flip my bike every year, so I can work up to this eventually. Awesome build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimmydeuce

by jimmydeuce

Perfect bike! I see you brought an invisible friend to hold the bike up for a photo! Seriously, how did you secure it or the photos.

globalsunset

by globalsunset

That's so sexy! And LIGHT!!!
Now..a photo of the two together, that would be hot.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Most expensive bike of the forum

sedluk

by sedluk

In order to figure out why I have two identical frames built up in almost the same way. I would need to figure out why I loctite just about every bolt on my bike. Why I have two pairs of Oaklay Jawbone sunglasses (both black and white, but with colors reversed) with different lenses. Why I have two pair of Mavic Huez shoes built up with the same cleats in exactly the same position (one of the only places I use red loctite). With another pair of Huez still in the box. Why I always try to have at least two tires hanging on the hook, glued up and ready to go with valve extenders already installed with a dab of blue loctite. Two identical helmets, extra gloves in a stack. Music player always charged, Garmin always charged.

Some things like extra gloves and shoes you can make a good argument for, last night I got rained on so this evening they might still be wet. Some things are a stretch, it does not take long for a helmet to dry.

I would not consider myself to be a collector. I would not want more than two pairs of sunglasses. I have a friend that probably has close to 100 pairs. I have several Assos jerseys in the same size in a 3 different colors. Two Cervelo team jerseys from different years and one jersey from a Puerto Rico tour that fits great and wear when it might rain. That is it, no more jerseys needed.

It might sound excessively organized and maybe it is. Music player always goes in the left pocket, money and phone in the rear, snacks on the right. The money with biz cards, photocopy of my license and insurance card. Always a few 5 dollar bills for quick stops at a gas station, a couple of larger bills for taxi or ride home.

Way to organized, I would agree. I least is sounds that way when I write it down. But try as I do things still get forgotten occasionally.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Everyone needs a little OCD in their life...I know I do. :wink:

konky

by konky

Epic-o wrote:Most expensive bike of the forum

And probably the best. When it comes to combined stiffness, comfort, weight and ride quality I think Cervelo have created something very special. This particular bike also has a superb choice of componants.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That is endlessly debatable, konky.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

konky

by konky

Prefdrefeu, I think we've had an exchange on this subject in a previous thread. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure but when it comes to weight / stiffness ratio is there a production bike out there that would beat the R5ca? I'd be really interested to hear. It's also remarkably comfortable, or so I hear. My standard R5 certainly is.

I think even AX with it's upcoming bespoke offerings will stuggle. I'm sure they will produce a lighter product, but I don't think they will be able to match on stiffness ratio.

There has been a lot of talk about the new Storck top production model having a super weight / stiffness ratio, however I will reserve judgement till when mine arrives. (If it ever does). Storck can be a bit iffy when it comes to weight claims.
Last edited by konky on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

We have not seen the frame thoroughly tested by a third party source using a scientific method (a party that is non-magazine, non-media as the media are biased by default due to advertising sales) against other production frames. Everything up until then is marketing or subject to individual sensitivities.
Claiming absolutes on anything without any verifiable proof is just silly.

konky

by konky

Yes no scientific tests on the R5ca yet but we do know a medium frame weighs around 800gms and certainly if it's as stiff as the regular R5 (which I don't care what anyone says is unbelievably stiff, both BB area and head area) than I would love to hear of another frame with a better weight / stiffness ratio.

As far as comfort and road feel, there has been nothing but rave reports on that. Surely Prendrefeu you must admit, not just marketting hype, but all the evidence is suggesting the R5ca is one hell of a bike.

Go on I challenge you - which bike do you think has a higher weight / stiffness / comfort ratio? I am genuinely interested to know. And look, I own a Cervelo but I'm not buying an R5ca. I chose to get a Fascenario 0.6 instead, which is similarly priced.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Clearly you aren't reading clearly! :lol:

I have not ever said that the R5ca is not possibly up to its claims. It might be. Just like anything else might be.

Each time I have simply retorted against a statement of an absolute that comes without any verifiable proof.

You clearly love the R5Ca. Perhaps it's on your wishlist, or perhaps you already have one. Either way, it doesn't matter, it's your personal interest and great for you! :thumbup: But really, stating absolutes is ridiculous.

Stiffness is measurable. Whether you need or should have absolute stiffness or not is debatable, and truly up to the individual. Often frames that are marked with less stiffness in tests perform better according to riders in certain aspects than others (such as climbing).
Weight is measurable.
Comfort? How is that measurable? What is comfortable to you may not be comfortable to another person. This is a matter of endless discussion and much hand wringing.

Rave reports on an expensive...well, anything really, is always up for debate. The basic psychological concept of price of an item handicapping the perceived quality is just a start. This forum, like any forum for a niche, is rife with examples.

Stiffness vs. Weight? Again, we need to see verifiable "FWB/Madcow style" third party tests on the production frames available to make a valid comparison. Until then stating absolutes is naive. Stating a personal preference is fine.

MARLON

by MARLON

Stiffness / Weight .... Ha!!!

Geometrie, seating ... Thats Important !

Cheers

Please give zs a Teaser of both californias !

prendrefeu wrote:Clearly you aren't reading clearly! :lol:

I have not ever said that the R5ca is not possibly up to its claims. It might be. Just like anything else might be.

Each time I have simply retorted against a statement of an absolute that comes without any verifiable proof.

You clearly love the R5Ca. Perhaps it's on your wishlist, or perhaps you already have one. Either way, it doesn't matter, it's your personal interest and great for you! :thumbup: But really, stating absolutes is ridiculous.

Stiffness is measurable. Whether you need or should have absolute stiffness or not is debatable, and truly up to the individual. Often frames that are marked with less stiffness in tests perform better according to riders in certain aspects than others (such as climbing).
Weight is measurable.
Comfort? How is that measurable? What is comfortable to you may not be comfortable to another person. This is a matter of endless discussion and much hand wringing.

Rave reports on an expensive...well, anything really, is always up for debate. The basic psychological concept of price of an item handicapping the perceived quality is just a start. This forum, like any forum for a niche, is rife with examples.

Stiffness vs. Weight? Again, we need to see verifiable "FWB/Madcow style" third party tests on the production frames available to make a valid comparison. Until then stating absolutes is naive. Stating a personal preference is fine.
BACK IN BLACK

surfsjp

by surfsjp

konky wrote:Yes no scientific tests on the R5ca yet but we do know a medium frame weighs around 800gms and certainly if it's as stiff as the regular R5 (which I don't care what anyone says is unbelievably stiff, both BB area and head area) than I would love to hear of another frame with a better weight / stiffness ratio.

As far as comfort and road feel, there has been nothing but rave reports on that. Surely Prendrefeu you must admit, not just marketting hype, but all the evidence is suggesting the R5ca is one hell of a bike.

Go on I challenge you - which bike do you think has a higher weight / stiffness / comfort ratio? I am genuinely interested to know. And look, I own a Cervelo but I'm not buying an R5ca. I chose to get a Fascenario 0.6 instead, which is similarly priced.

That bike is absolutely one of my favorite builds to date. Congrats. Probably the only frame that would make me trade up from my '11 C'dale hi-mod. I read somewhere that either the new Evo is very close to the weight/stiffness of the r5ca, maybe even edging it out in a few specs.
Beautiful bike....
Last edited by surfsjp on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Amazing build... now go ride the $(%@*$@!# out of it! :thumbup:
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist