Tubulars: is the tape necessary ?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dmotoguy

by dmotoguy

just use mastik one with the tape.
I ran my griffo's at 20psi a few weekends ago (on accident) with no problems and I weigh 190lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

Used mastik one already. 3,5 tubes on rear wheel alone and probably working too quick because lots of glue got squeezed out after I mounted the tire. Also keeping the tape from moving is difficult when the glue is too wet.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dmotoguy

by dmotoguy

I'm thinking you are using too much glue, off the top of my head I think I use about half that.

THIN/EVEN coats.. Use an acid brush or similar to spread it across the basetape.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

3.5 tubes on one wheel is too much. it's not about sheer quantity, it's about technique - thin, even, consistent. As a general rule you get about 3 sets of wheels out of a can of Mastik One. Significantly more or less is not good.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

OJ

by OJ

I actually slapped on 3+tape+1 coats on the rim and 3 coats on the tire. The mess was probably caused by not letting the glue cure enough before applying the tape. Maybe it wasn't quite 3.5 tubes, but I had to open the 4th tube. Front wheel has one less coat on the rim under the tape and I let it dry a bit longer so it went much smoother. The first coat on the rim seems to take tons of glue to cover the entire base tape.

I'll test the glue work on Saturday.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

andyp

by andyp

A general question on glueing tubs: do people leave 24 hours between applying coats or do they apply one coat on top of another as per the Stuart Thorne method?

Thanks.

crossrider

by crossrider

Everyones differant, there's no 'THIS IS HOW IT HAS TO BE DONE' kind of thing I don't think.

Allways I apply a layer of glue to the basetape of the tub and leave for 24hours.

If it is a new rim, I will apply a thin layer of glue, and leave it for 24hours.

After that, weather it is a new rim or not (so I miss step 1 out if it is not new) I put a layer on the rim, then straight away apply a strip of tub tape, get the tub tape to settle using the broom handle method and then take the plastic of the tape, Then I apply good layer of glue on the tape and almost straight away apply the tub, acting very fast as the glue and tape method makes the glue very sticky. I then use the broom handle method again, pump the tub up to around 60 and leave for a week (if I have this long to wait)

This is what works for me, but I am NOT saying this is the best way to do it...

andyp

by andyp

Thanks. I'm not new to tubs, but am new to cyclocross tubs so any sane advice is welcomed.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I think tape is pretty important for Cross tires. When you're running 30psi the only thing holding that tire on is the glue and tape. On a road tire, I just use glue. road tires with high pressure aren't coming off too easily.

rustychain

by rustychain

I've posted this before as my best "trick" for gluing cross tires. After gluing the tires to your preferred method clamp the tire with a band clamp. This is a cloth belt with a ratchet that you tighten around the circumference of the tire at half pressure. after you get the clamp on well pump up the tire to full pressure. This insures the best contact with the sides of the gluing bed were I often see poor adhesion. Leaving the clamp on overnight is best IMO. I have found this makes a better bond then tape, glue or tape and glue alone
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

vcnz

by vcnz

Sounds like a great tip.
Thanks for sharing

musket

by musket

rustychain wrote:I've posted this before as my best "trick" for gluing cross tires. After gluing the tires to your preferred method clamp the tire with a band clamp. This is a cloth belt with a ratchet that you tighten around the circumference of the tire at half pressure. after you get the clamp on well pump up the tire to full pressure. This insures the best contact with the sides of the gluing bed were I often see poor adhesion. Leaving the clamp on overnight is best IMO. I have found this makes a better bond then tape, glue or tape and glue alone

It seems to me that a much easier way to achieve this would be to use a decent volume 29er tyre mounted over the top of the tyre (a clincher obviously), and then inflate the tyre. You'll bet the same effect and it'll likely be easier, and use something many will already have in the shed.

rustychain

by rustychain

Perhaps but you can purchase the band clamp for as little as $15 US at home improvement/ hardware stores and you have better control with adjusting the tension. Still whatever works. Let me know how the tire thing works.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

nuttymango

by nuttymango

rustychain wrote:A flexible cloth clamp that can go around the circumference of the tire. After gluing up in the normal way I put the clamp on the tire.
Where does one purchase a clamp like this?

Ackebua

by Ackebua

What kind of tape are talking about? It is obviously not the Tufo tape, is ist? Here in Germany some guys use jalousie or roller blind belt/tape as this is known as the Belgium method.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com