650B Randonneur - need recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

blasdelf

by blasdelf

HotKarl wrote:If I recall correctly, the weight in the BQ review was around 23 lbs with the reviewer's very heavy pedals and saddle.

I saw it in person when Jan stopped by my house while reviewing it — most beautiful bike I have ever seen!

He does love those old Look Moab pedals for some reason, I think he always lists weights without them because they're like 600g :shock:

The Stan's 650b rims are temporarily back in stock — they made a final batch of 100 pairs a few months ago that I missed, and then a couple weeks ago an employee discovered a few pairs in the warehouse, so I was able to get my backup pair. They still have a couple left, if you hurry you can still order them: http://www.notubes.com/-ZTR-355-650b-32 ... 26C20.aspx

I initially planned to deanodize mine and polish them, but instead I will just build them up as is and let the brake pads wear them in slowly so they last as long as possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pigpen

by pigpen

I say if you do not have a thing against newer stuff mixed with old, use SRAM Red derailleurs with downtube shifters. If you want light aluminum levers gut out a set of Centaurs and then open up the inside to lose weight. If you search my posts you will find the set that is on my Randonneur bike.

HotKarl

by HotKarl

pigpen wrote:I say if you do not have a thing against newer stuff mixed with old, use SRAM Red derailleurs with downtube shifters. If you want light aluminum levers gut out a set of Centaurs and then open up the inside to lose weight. If you search my posts you will find the set that is on my Randonneur bike.

I agree. There is little point in using really old components unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Sometimes you have to reach back a bit to get high-quality components that aren't black anodized, but other than that I see no reason to go back to freewheels and friction shifting.

Although my bike looks like a classic, everything is new(er) except the brake levers and the front derailleur. I'm especially fond of the Dura Ace 7800 medium-cage derailleur...I don't think any derailleur before or since has shifted as well. It was just discontinued last year, but there are tons of them on E-Bay.

AdvanceSpark

by AdvanceSpark

I've already steered off from the old components, mostly. I'll keep them for a future TOEI tandem made with old school French parts.

Here's my new setup, the ones written with bold letters are already purchased.

SRAM S500 Brake Levers
Dura-Ace 9spd DT Shifters
(*) Dura-Ace or XTR medium cage rear derailleur
TA Specialities cranks
Suntour Superbe Pro front derailleur
Mafac Raid or Paul Racer centerpulls
Schmidt SONdeluxe SL dynamo hub
Schmidt Edeluxe front light

If XTR M971 (9spd) series work with DA shifters, I might pick that one and go for a half step gearing. Still haven't found data on this. I know XT works well with road shifters, but XTR might be different... Gotta do a lot of math to see if it's worth the cost because I'll need a custom cog setup from XTR cassettes.

pigpen

by pigpen

I am at 23lbs using heavy Velocity Synergy rims and Veloce derailleurs. If I was to do it again I would of used Red derailleurs and A23 or HED rims but at the time I wanted silver rims and campy.

AdvanceSpark

by AdvanceSpark

Just checked your bike, the frameset and front rack looks amazing! It looks great in overall, and wouldn't put HED rims on it. Weight is important, but I think it's not worth disturbing the visual balance of your finely crafted bike.

Are you comfy with Selle Anatomica? I was planning to send a Brooks Team Pro to have the cutout...

I'm aiming the exact weight. It would go down a few hundred grams just using 700C instead of 650B, but I don't care the weight difference since they are second to none with the comfort/speed mix...

I haven't decided on using Ti bolts here and there, may be it's time I searched for such options.

pigpen

by pigpen

Thanks, the bike I have posted here is my old orange Ellis, the one I am talking about is the black Ellis that won best frame at NAHBS.

I do really like Selle Anatomica saddles I have 3 of them and a Brooks Pro with a cut out. The Brooks is better with the cut out but I like the Anatomicas a touch better.

I did not bolt tune on my new bike since all I did was wire it before it left. I may work over the derailleur cage and do some bolt tuning when I get it back. If you end up bolt tuning check out Toronto Cycles http://www.torontocycles.com/ they have a good selection. Also Fairwheel bikes has derailleur tuning kits now. I am still trying to talk myself out of buying a red rear derailleur to polish and tune it it would be well over a 100g drop.

How are 650Bs? I keep hearing so much good but I have yet to try them. I see Rawlands has a cheaper frame I think it is called Rsogn, I kind of want to pick one up to try.

AdvanceSpark

by AdvanceSpark

@pigpen

The black one is yours too?

It's great to have found you, who has both Anatomicas and a Team Pro with the cutout! I have this numbness problem on every saddle I've tried. I know saddles are personal, but with all those cutout saddles, you probably have the same issue with me. Any comments on Anatomica vs. cutout Team Pro?

I only had a ride on very old 650B tires, it was a singlespeed bike with 44mm Michelin tires. Although the tires were very old and waiting to die in their next roll, they were puffy puffy puffy. May be it was because the bike had a sprung saddle, but the handlebars tell you enough about the ride quality.

pigpen

by pigpen

Yes the black one is mine, I did not need it and barely afforded it but it is mine. I Love Dave at Ellis' work so I bought another, it has lighter tubes and so on.

I have to say I do like the Selle Anatomica saddles better, the Brooks is nice but it does not cure the numbness completely. I just received the brand new version of the Selle Anatomica with the new chrome moly rails and the new cleaner laminate the other day. The problem the older Anatomicas was weak rails it looks like the new ones will be much better. If you have the funds I would recommend a Anatomica over a Brooks. If you are like me you have went through a pile of saddles searching for a cure. I swear there saddles are the best thing I have found so far and will sacrifice the weight for comfort every time. If it means anything I ride one of there saddles 8 miles one way to work in Dickey style work pants and it is comfortable. I would of not done this on any other saddle without numbness.

It is nice to find fellow Randonneurs on here into light weight smartly built bikes. I will try to give 650Bs' a try soon they are way to interesting not to try atleast once.

HotKarl

by HotKarl

Speaking of light weight, the new Rene Herse cranks are close to done. Lighter than Campagnolo Super Record, apparently.

rhcrankrl.jpg

I'll be first in line for these when they are available.

And by the way, Selle An-Atomica doesn't work for everyone. I like the cutout and flex, but the saddle digs into the back of my thighs, which gets really painful after 50 or so miles. I'm a fan of the Brooks Swallow. They fall apart quickly, especially since I ride in the rain a lot, but they are the only thing that works for me.

AdvanceSpark

by AdvanceSpark

HotKarl wrote:Speaking of light weight, the new Rene Herse cranks are close to done. Lighter than Campagnolo Super Record, apparently.

rhcrankrl.jpg

I'll be first in line for these when they are available.

And by the way, Selle An-Atomica doesn't work for everyone. I like the cutout and flex, but the saddle digs into the back of my thighs, which gets really painful after 50 or so miles. I'm a fan of the Brooks Swallow. They fall apart quickly, especially since I ride in the rain a lot, but they are the only thing that works for me.

I was curious when they'd figure out making RH cranks and brakes etc. Cranks seems to be on the way, I think there needs to be more custom details. Need to improve more and more...

I think I'll get a SA before trying a Brooks with SA cutout because the Brooks will be a Team Pro Ti @ $315 cheapest, and cutout will cost an extra $100, add shipment costs too, and that's $450 for a paperweight if it doesn't work for me.

I really don't care about the individual sit bone movement thing, I'm happy with rigid saddles, it's just the numbness I'm mad about.

About the tights with SA, do you mean that your tights get into the cutout and are damaged with the friction from each stroke? Sorry for asking this, I really can suck at understanding in English.

pigpen

by pigpen

I finally put some miles on the new version of the Selle Anatomica and I have to say it is damn near perfect. They are a lot stiffer in the leather department and the rails. I have to say they got it right this time it makes me want to replace my older ones.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

pigpen wrote:I finally put some miles on the new version of the Selle Anatomica and I have to say it is damn near perfect. They are a lot stiffer in the leather department and the rails. I have to say they got it right this time it makes me want to replace my older ones.

How new is your new SA saddle?
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

pigpen

by pigpen

MileHighMark wrote:
pigpen wrote:I finally put some miles on the new version of the Selle Anatomica and I have to say it is damn near perfect. They are a lot stiffer in the leather department and the rails. I have to say they got it right this time it makes me want to replace my older ones.

It is two weeks old, I think the new ones started shipping maybe a month ago.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

pigpen wrote:
MileHighMark wrote:

It is two weeks old, I think the new ones started shipping maybe a month ago.

Good to know. I started riding one in March, so I'd be curious to see how the new ones feel.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com