CB Italia wooden rims + Alchemy = wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dman

by Dman

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a 'vintage meets modern' wheel set using some wooden tubular rims and swaying toward some Cb Italia Roubaix rims. I really like the look of the redish 28h 700c rims on the website. Want to build them up with Phil Wood road hubs and some DT Aerolite/Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Finish the set off with some FMB tyres. The rims weigh 330g each so the wheel set should come in fairly light. Does anybody have much experience with wooden rims?

http://www.cbita.it/?page_id=88&lang=en

They will be mostly for use in a showroom but I hope to ride them soon. I can't seem to find any reviews or information on the rims other than some photos.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Dman on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Here is a little something you might find interesting: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/04/ ... the-goods/

Good luck and have fun! (read with a jealous tone) :thumbup:
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

blasdelf

by blasdelf

Phil Wood hubs? Are you joking? :shock:

They are the very heaviest hubs you can buy, are extremely expensive, and have a primitive design with no actual seals anywhere (no, the dust shields on the standard asian cartridges don't count).

Phil would be 511g/187g for $535 — White Industries hubs are EXACTLY HALF the weight at 252g/97g for $460 — that's with no tricks either, nothing's swapped out for aluminum (WI has a Ti freehub) and the hubs are of identical strength with both having 15mm oversized cromo axles.

If you're going to use a freewheel for historical reenactment, you should still stay away from Phil — go with Campy Record, or Mavic 501 if you want cartridge bearings.

Dman

by Dman

:oops: hmmm I really didn't think this through too well.. That's what this forum is all about.

Think i'll explore the White Industries H2 and Chris King R45 options

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Are you doing this just for the fun of it (obscenely expensive fun if I may say so) or to learn and understand cycling history by means of a museum or similar?

Either way, this sounds like a money eating project not unlike collecting the odd Ferrari or race only Porsche...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Dman

by Dman

In case anyone is interested I've (had built) these CB Italia rims on to some Alchemy hubs. 1480g for the set in 28/28h and DT spokes (not sure which model but not Competitions). Will be a soft wheel to ride no doubt but they aren't for racing. Ligher than my Neutrons!

With FMB Record Tubulars. Was going to mount some Veloflex Carbons but the obviously the look sold me. Plus the manufacturing quality of the FMB's is impossible to beat. Love your work Francois

robsc

by robsc

Absolutely beautiful .Thanks for sharing .
Scott Addict (7,19kg) (15,8lbs)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

How awesome is this. Wondering what the braking is like on those.

Dman

by Dman

wassertreter wrote:How awesome is this. Wondering what the braking is like on those.

I'll let you know in a week or so. Although I doubt i'll being going over 30 km/hr (deliberately)

kgt

by kgt

Would be a masterpiece with NOS silver Campagnolo Record hubs

sam2msl

by sam2msl

Rather hoping that these wheels are so lovely that Dman is out riding too much to post about their braking capacity.
The other option doesn't promise well.
I'm looking to have some wooden rims built onto vintage Gloria hubs to go on an old Garibaldina.
Anyone else know about the rim braking qualities?

Miller

by Miller

Should be built up with disc brakes, obviously.

....only kidding.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have some silver record hubs 28H waiting for a build. I was planning on using HED tub but this thread has got me thinking. Stop thinking it will be a waste of money but man they would look good. I am really tempted.

SpeedFreak

by SpeedFreak

why not go all the way:

http://www.renovobikes.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com