2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

timzcat

by timzcat

Here is a couple free grams, lose the valve stem nuts and caps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Finally!

Got her down to the 15lb range.

Total Cost: $3,500.
Weight: 15.65 lbs.
(w/pedals)

The only thing I'll do to her now will be a Yumeya Chainring (mostly for aesthetics/-10g's).
I may cut the seat post, but I got to where I personally wanted to get her.
I'm very very happy. Now, on to the next bike...an EVO Red!
The only upgrades I'll do to that will be a Hollogram crankset
and a set of plastic hoops (Zipps or Enves).

:twinkle:

kman

by kman

Congrats on reaching your goal.

Getter wrote:Are you trying to get to 15 for the sake of it?

Isn't this WeightWeenies???
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

kman wrote:Congrats on reaching your goal.

Thanks!
:thumbup:

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Ok...so I'm "now" open to some options.

It looks like I can drop about 190g for about $450., but I wonder how
my ride will be affected by going from a carbon to an aluminum stem.

If any of you have the following bits, I'd appreciate your impressions on them:

Handlebar:
http://zipp.com/bars/sl-bar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stem:
http://www.extralite.com/Products/road% ... _anglo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

My wheelset:
2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elites 1550g, but they are strong & stiff.
Despite them not being solid black, I really love the rim details.

I will be picking up a set of 58mm carbon clinchers soon that come in at about 1550g's,
but I also want a much lighter set of wheels than the Mavics for my daily use wheels.

Any suggestions for a significantly lighter set of clinchers that would fit in between the box
section hardcoreness of the Mavics and the aeroness of the carbon clinchers I'm planning on?

I'm serious thinking about a sub-1400g set of 38mm carbon clinchers.
I've been reading great stuff about them as far as weight & strength goes.

veganeric

by veganeric

You'll want the OC stem. http://www.extralite.com/Products/roadstem%20OC.htm The one you posted isn't compatible with the zipp bars.

Your GF did a great job on your fork. Is it a decal or ....? I recently snagged a closeout Edge 1.0 with the block logo for my black CAAD9. I was going to remove the logos completely, but now I'm reconsidering that. How do you like your 1.0 compared to the stock fork? Is your 1.0 45mm? I haven't swapped mine yet.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

veganeric wrote:You'll want the OC stem. http://www.extralite.com/Products/roadstem%20OC.htm The one you posted isn't compatible with the zipp bars.

I was actually checking out that stem before I logged on to WW just now. ;)

Your GF did a great job on your fork. Is it a decal or ....? I recently snagged a closeout Edge 1.0 with the block logo for my black CAAD9. I was going to remove the logos completely, but now I'm reconsidering that.

Thanks. I was in touch with Enve/Edge regarding how I was going to treat the fork. There is a clearcoat on the logos, so if you did decide to remove it, you'd have to take the finish off for the entire fork and start from scratch. Just thought you should know.

As for my GF, she actually painstakingly handpainted it. It took her a couple of hours. I'm going to have her black out the rest of the logos/labels on the bike & stem next (especially the Cannondale loge on the headtube). Where the model number goes (on the seattube), I'm going to have her put a simple question mark because this ain't no CAAD9-7 anymore. :mrgreen:

How do you like your 1.0 compared to the stock fork? Is your 1.0 45mm? I haven't swapped mine yet.

Yes, it's a 1.0 45mm that's been cut so that I could slam the stem a bit. The differences between it and the 2.0 is about 50g and the 1.0 was made in The U.S.A. (Utah I believe). It was an instant transformation from the OEM Ultra Slice fork I had on it. "Planted" and light are the two words I can best used to describe it. At speed, you can really tell you have a quality upgrade on it. And when you first pick up your bike from the front, it'll leap up.

Right now, I'm a little bit ticked off because once I've managed to weigh my bike properly, I found out I'm 300g over my goal, but, it just means I'll have to drop some more $ into it to get her "there" (there being the 15lb range which I know is nothing on WW, but it'll be enough for me). The most important thing to me is that I build a bike I can ride, ride hard and not have to worry about it deteriorating underneath me while hammering it. I'm a heavy aggressive rider.

Good luck with your CAAD.

:thumbup:

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Original Bike (+ Ultegra SL Crankset):
Last edited by 2ndgen on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This awosome bike with all it's nice touches and upgrades is now moved to the gallery.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Frankie - B wrote:This awosome bike with all it's nice touches and upgrades is now moved to the gallery.

Great Birthday Present for me today!

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

80g the easy way...

7390g before removal of tape, gel & aluminum plugs
7310g after removal of tape, gel & installation of carbon plugs
80g gone tonight (and for free!)

And now, some superficial details.
Really bad pics, but I'll have better pics when she's done.

ImageImage Image

ImageImage

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

With shorter stack headset, stem & carbon top cap, she went from 7470g to 7390g = 80g loss
(16.44lbs ---> 16.31lbs). I'm expecting to lose 44g (confirmed on the scale) with the tubes and
about 130g with the tires early next week for a another 174g drop along with a very reliable 65g
drop with the saddle and 41g with the chain. So, once all is said and done, I should be at about
7110g 15.69-15.82lbs (because the tires are not a confirmed number...hopefully, they'll be 150g,
but they may come in at 160g).

With that, I'm starting to hate my bike. Last week, after I had the fork cut and the lower stack
height headset upper section installed, I still got 7460g on the scale. I was pissed & disappointed.
But, lesson kids...don't use the lanyard loop to weigh your bike. Clamp it into the stand. I know for a
fact that I didn't get an 80g drop with just the stem (the Bonty stem weighed in at 166g after I took it off).
The 7390g weight has to be a corrected weight with the more stable fastening of the scale and more in line
with what I was expecting (actually, a lot better than what I expected) so I'm going to attribute about 40g of
the recent loss to the cut fork, headset upper and carbon top cap.

The Edge came with silver bolts. I chose to use the black bolts from the Bonty.
IMO, a much nicer stealth look. Also, I had to go with a 120mm/6 degree stem.
I couldn't for the life of me locate a 110mm pinline logo Edge stem.
Won't post full pics until the entire bike is done (maybe 2 more weeks),
but here are some teaser shots...

Some fresh goodies. :mrgreen:

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Looks so much better without the bontrager stem :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com