New Felt F1 build in process - BB30 crank install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mordi

by Mordi

Just got my 2011 Felt F1 frame and will be building over the weekend. I'm installing a new FSA K-Force BB30 crank. Any suggestions as to whether I should grease the outer rim of the bearings and the BB shell (given that the shell is carbon rather than aluminum)? Or loctite instead? I want to avoid having the creaking/clicking that so many BB30 users complain about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Weight?

Mordi

by Mordi

Won't be able to weigh it until I actually get it home and pull all the Di2 guide tubes out. In due time...

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the general rule is: if the bearings are a snug fit, grease them. if the bearings are a loose fit, loctite them. you can use loctite 609/603 if you use a primer.

Mordi

by Mordi

djconnel wrote:Weight?

Frame weight (size 54) = 860g with seatpost collar, RD hanger and water bottle bolts. Not quite the 792g advertised, but I assume that was the 51cm frame stripped of all the aluminum parts.

Uncut fork - 400g

I have to say, this frame is beautifully finished. And Easton has really beefed up the EC90 fork -- the tapered steerer tube is crazy thick--nothing like the thin-walled carbon steerers I've seen in the past from other manufacturers. Can't wait to get this bad boy on the road. Now if that *@$#! Di2 internal harness would just come in....

djconnel

by djconnel

Claimed weight is no paint or clear coat per Super Dave. Of course no bottle cage bolts but I don't know about hanger. Still very nice...

ShoMyOFace

by ShoMyOFace

thisisatest wrote:the general rule is: if the bearings are a snug fit, grease them. if the bearings are a loose fit, loctite them. you can use loctite 609/603 if you use a primer.

What type of grease and what sort of primer for Loctite....does Loctite make it difficult to remove the bearings?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i like Finish line synthetic grease, but most brands will do.
for loctite primer, there are a few varieties, i stick to the sprays for cylindrical fittings. try loctite 7649.

cranetechballin

by cranetechballin

excited to see this one. 2011 Felt F1s are hard to find right now. good luck with build. will be waiting to see what she looks like

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Mordi wrote:Just got my 2011 Felt F1 frame and will be building over the weekend. I'm installing a new FSA K-Force BB30 crank. Any suggestions as to whether I should grease the outer rim of the bearings and the BB shell (given that the shell is carbon rather than aluminum)? Or loctite instead? I want to avoid having the creaking/clicking that so many BB30 users complain about.

I use anti-sieze on my Campy cups. Remember not to install the steel C-clips, they are integrated into the carbon shell's machined inner sleeve.

792g is for a raw 56cm frame w/o wb bolts, spc, paint or decals but w/ derailleur hanger
The F1 uses a special clear coat, finish should be 75-100g depending on size.

-SD

Mordi

by Mordi

Ended up following advice from Starnut and a few others and used grease on the BB cups (since the fit was pretty tight). Everything A-OK except that the cranks didn't spin as freely as I would like (hopefully it's just the newness of the bearings -- and yes, the bearings went in perfectly straight).

The build is now complete. Two rides on it so far, and the frame is amazingly stiff and smooth. Can't believe how much stiffer this frame is than the R3 it is replacing (with all components transferred over from the R3). Had to compensate a bit for the big difference in stack height of the head tube by adding ~20mm of additional spacers.

Complete weight is 13.5 lbs with Di2 drivetrain, FSA K-Force lite crankset and Reynolds MV32T wheelset. Will post pics and full listing in the "introduce yourself" section. Next project: relocate Di2 battery into seatpost.

Mordi

by Mordi

cranetechballin wrote:excited to see this one. 2011 Felt F1s are hard to find right now. good luck with build. will be waiting to see what she looks like

Full build and some initial pics posted in the Introduce Yourself forum http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89167

commfire

by commfire

How has the carbon bb30 held up on the F1? I am running adapters with shimano and I am having horrible creaking issues. I am hoping that going to a true bb30 crankset will solve my problems. Thanks

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Interesting post, and fantastic build! I've been riding an F1 with MV32 tubulars for a number of years now. Mine is the first year F1 carbon, so I guess that is 2006? I'm running Campy Super Record 11sp.

Size is a 60, as I am 6'3". I like the fit I've arrived at. It feels incredibly good!

I'm looking to do a new build soon, and may be considering another F1, but a 58cm this time.

Additional items;
Campy Super Record Electric
Enve 3.4 Tubulars.

There may be another frame or 2 under consideration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mordi

by Mordi

I've moved on to a Specialized Tarmac SL4 (team bike) but have decided to keep the Felt F1 as a backup/rain bike. I just could't bring myself to selling the F1. Did 4 hours on the Felt today while the SL4 is in for the fork recall. I really love both frames - the primary difference being the stiffness and straight line speed of the SL4 vs the tight but more compliant and comfortable feel of the F1.

@commfire - the FSA BB30 carbon cranks have worked flawlessly. Nice snug fit, zero creaking and plenty stiff.
Last edited by Mordi on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.