Colnago M10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

musket

by musket

If it's a defect, no one will touch it. You'd have more luck hoping Colnago's distributor feels like some good PR and might replace it.

If Maestro gets the frames painted from scratch to meet orders, I'd love to know where they get frames, as Colnago are probably not too keen on supplying ready to paint frames to shops (perhaps Distributors).

I guess if he's happy to rip off the De Rosa logo for his own, it's no surprise!

ironman1

by ironman1

Not painted, matte black but I don't think Maetsro's distributer cares one way or another also. When the distributer said it was impossible to have a headtube taller than 161 and to send him the serial number, thats when I sent the serial number and a picture of headtube with tape. Only response since then was he felt the tape wasn't straight, I cut a few mm. and I didn't know how to read a tape. Funny I had 2 other's who also read my headtube at 170.
Last edited by ironman1 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gb103

by gb103

ironman1 wrote:Not painted, matte black but I don't think Maetsro's distributer cares one way or another also. When the distributer said it was impossible to have a headtube taller than 161 and to send him the serial number, thats when I sent the serial number and a picture of headtube with tape. Only response since then was he felt the tape wasn't straight, I cut a few mm. and I didn't know how to read a tape. Funny I had 2 other's who also read headtube at 170.

Hi, I did contemplate buying from mike, but the fact that his frames are sprayed in Belgium, plus I have read heard his frames are seconds which could explain why your m10 geometry is not as expected. Can you not simply return the frame for a full refund and buy from an appointed dealer? Regardless of maestro's terms and conditions and the fact that he is not appointed colnago dealer, he supposedly sells genuine colnago's, thus the frame is a defect due the incorrect geometry.

I have just received a EPQ (PR99) which arrived in 7 weeks from Shiny bikes in the UK and can recommend them. Bike being built up this week so will post a pic.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Is the conical spacer included in the head tube height?
How high is this spacer anyway?

http://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/m10

grid256

by grid256

Is the conical spacer included in the head tube height?
How high is this spacer anyway?

It's not included in the height. The smaller of the two spacers is 1cm while the other is 1.5cm. The smaller fits inside the taller adding 10 grams and from what I can tell, is necessary for a good seal and smooth movement of the bearing.

Bob (ironman1) got in touch with me and I provided the number of 151mm for a 50 sloping M10. I've re-checked and should add that number includes the Colnago headset cups. My apologies for this. The actual headtube (just the headtube) is 145 as another member also included. Again, my apologies for this. I think the Colnago headset cups add around 2mm and change per cup, thus landing things at around 150/151 for a 50 sloper.

This however doesn't answer the difference of 1cm that ironman1 is referring to with his bike. I think the Colnago geo charts are a little loose...

liam7020

by liam7020

musket wrote:
liam7020 wrote:
musket wrote:Well, I recently saw a Colnago sold by Maestro internationally that was such poor quality I'm happy to say it was a second.

It also had an "M - Level" decal, I tracked to this guy http://www.m-level.be/mlevel.htm , further convincing me it was either:

a - a fake frame painted as a new Colnago, or
b - a repaired or reject / qc'd frame that was painted after being sold back door.

The paint was shit too - wrong font on the 'o' and runs / overspray all over.

If a deal is too good to be true, it is.

Front derailleur shifting was impeded as there was a 'non-standard' carbon gusset at the chainstay / bb junction and the hole driller for the cable to pass through was in the wrong place, meaning the cable dragged over the edges.

Pretty disgraceful conduct by someone purporting to run a business.

Roobay wrote:Yeah
Paul at Slane says that all of the frames that are sold through Maestro and usually unpainted when they reach the distributor, and painted to each customers requirements hence the poor finish, the lacquers are no where near as good. :smartass:

Lads you're making statements based on second hand information and unsubstantiated claims. Mike Perry might consider that to be libel. So might a court...

If he'd like to try and enforce that, I'd love to talk about it. My conclusions are based on reasonable, first hand facts, and expressed clearly as my opinion, not a statement of fact.

If you want to research what libel is, and still think there's a problem, PM me.

Reasonable first hand facts? So it was your Colnago that you'd purchased from Maestro? How about some definite first hand facts. Over the last 15 years I've bought 6 Colnago frames from Mike and cannot fault his customer service, or the quality of the frames, in any way. I sympatize with the difficulties Bob is presently experiencing but I can only speak as I find.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

musket

by musket

I built the bike for the purchaser and diagnosed the defect. The defect was confirmed to me (along with the appalling state of the paint being abnormal) by a legit Colnago dealer.

Is that first hand enough, or would you prefer I was actually the bike frame, speaking in chinese?

ruffrider

by ruffrider

are maestros bikes sprayed in belgium? my understanding is that they used to be custom sprayed but then his painter retired and now you can only get the factory colours.

How long are we talking about no response here? a day? a week? Have always had good response times from Mike unless he is away collecting frames.

If the frame is defective then send it back to Mike for an exchange/refund, should be a no brainer....it is on his website afterall.

Its very difficult on the 'net to work out who is trolling (with vested interests elsewhere) and who has genuine issues...hope it works out for you Bob.
As others have said like Liam you can only go on your personal dealings with maestro and its all been positive from my side.

liam7020

by liam7020

ruffrider wrote:are maestros bikes sprayed in belgium? my understanding is that they used to be custom sprayed but then his painter retired and now you can only get the factory colours.

How long are we talking about no response here? a day? a week? Have always had good response times from Mike unless he is away collecting frames.

If the frame is defective then send it back to Mike for an exchange/refund, should be a no brainer....it is on his website afterall.

Its very difficult on the 'net to work out who is trolling (with vested interests elsewhere) and who has genuine issues...hope it works out for you Bob.
As others have said like Liam you can only go on your personal dealings with maestro and its all been positive from my side.

Agree completely ruffrider. Bob, as ruffrider stated, if Mike's away collecting frames there may well be a considerable delay in the response time. The other thing that occurred to me, and maybe I'm being naive here, is that you mention emailing Mike without reply but have you tried phoning him? Usually get him straight away. Just a thought. Good luck.

musket wrote:I built the bike for the purchaser and diagnosed the defect. The defect was confirmed to me (along with the appalling state of the paint being abnormal) by a legit Colnago dealer.

Is that first hand enough, or would you prefer I was actually the bike frame, speaking in chinese?

Ha! You speak Chinese as well? Hope it makes more sense than your English...
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

musket

by musket

liam7020 wrote:
musket wrote:I built the bike for the purchaser and diagnosed the defect. The defect was confirmed to me (along with the appalling state of the paint being abnormal) by a legit Colnago dealer.

Ha! You speak Chinese as well? Hope it makes more sense than your English...

I agree with Ruffrider's points and was clear to explain I was basing my conclusions on my own experiences.

Liam, if you're going to be rude, rather than acknowledge you were wrong in your assumption (and surprisingly lame about it), that's ok. It says little about my English and lots about you.

liam7020

by liam7020

"Is this a raw nerve which I see before me, The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee..." Seriously musket thought we were just having a little light hearted banter! Obviously not your thing. If you re-read your posts you'll note that any perceived rudeness was initiated by your good self...

musket wrote:Is that first hand enough, or would you prefer I was actually the bike frame, speaking in chinese?

ironman1

by ironman1

Built up frame last night, Di2 , Clavicula's, 3t ergonova's, prologo scratch nack, 66mm edge rims (no stickers), looks pretty good if you like plain.
I will say I cetainly think the frame is NOT a second and the finish ( I think nude is harder to disquise flaws) is very good . I think Colnago as a whole could be much clearer on there dimensions, I would have definatly ordered a 50 if I had know headtube would be 151. There still is no explanation as to my 170 headtube.

After many exchanges last week I sent Mike a detailed explanation, and a serial # on 6/9 and a picture from a different computer of headtube. When I got in the morning of the 10th the snyde remark of not reading the tape properly was in my inbox. I resent the previous e-mail with a comment that I didn't appreciate his comment and that I did NOT want ot get into a pissing contrest but wanted to make sure he had recieved the prevous e-mail as they were sent from different computers. I asked him specific what I should expect in headtube lenght if I re-orded and what could be done to rectify the problem. NO contact since then.

In hindsight I wish I would have called him directly, maybe the results would have been different, maybe not.
I think the web site could have been clearer, maybe I should have asked more questions about headtube lenght before ordering ???, and most certainly Mike could have been much more helpful or maybe I should say a little helpful !

andyindo

by andyindo

In my experience Mike has always been very helpful and an absolute pleasure to deal with. Maybe you caught him on a 'bad' day or something but having drunk coffee in his shop and listened to his stories and his honesty and lack of bullsh*t compared to other saleman, I find him very refreshing in this day and age.

liam7020

by liam7020

Glad you got the M10 built up Bob. You've mentioned the head tube length but what about the the other frame dimensions, seat tube and top tube length - how do they suit you? I would imagine that, unless the frame is horrendously big or you're very flexible, you should be able to adjust stem height with fewer spacers and/or using the low rise cap provided with the Colnago headset. Have you had a chance to set up you're saddle height etc as yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gb103

by gb103

Hi ironman, I still don't understand why you did not return the frame, and wait for a brand new replacement with the correct head tube? Surely they can measure the head tube and find a frame which has the correct length based on the colnago website.

Know matter how much money you saved going through maestro's the service you have received is appalling. Either you can't use a tape measure correctly or you have a duff frame.

I'm sure mike will contact you as it states on his website that he deals with complaints with in 5 working days :roll: