Alloy Cassette - Recon vs. TA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

owl

by owl

I have seen good deals on Recon and TA Kheops cassettes.

I would not be putting big mileage in and am aware of the short comings of such cassettes.

Which is the better product (Recon seems to have good press on here and I like the fact 9 cogs are part of a block which seems better for freehub life).

I would use either with a KMC 10XSL chain.
Owl

martyh

by martyh

between the two not sure.
however, my experience with the recon 10 speed one piece alu cassettes for campag is that in the middle of the block they skip something shocking when in a race and under maximum load. I had the LBS adjust and put a new cable in the shifter etc, but still it skips and skitters in 2-3 rings in the middle.

considering moving back just to 10-speed record ti or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Where can you get kheops cassettes from? I'd like to know I've been looking for a good 8 speed alloy cassette.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

+1 on Recon ALU cassettes skipping under high load in the 11T and 13T (maybe the next one up too). Had 2 cassettes for 5000 miles and both behaved the same (first skipping after a few rides, all other times it was noisy and subpar shifting). Not completely awful, not anywhere near 'good' either. The skipping is what has kept me away, not the longevity.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

tommasini

by tommasini

If you plan to actually ride with one then don't bother with either.

The (poor) longevity and (poor) reliabilty is not worth the voodoo light weight they are offering. Otherwise it looks good on a spec sheet.......

Spend the weight loss $$ somewhere else.

Just my 2 cents.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I'll just throw in here that I use a recon 11-25 cassette with a sram red RD and it shifts perfect. I have about 800 miles on it so far and it looks brand new. In the end recon cassettes are right around $100 bucks at that price you owe it to yourself to at least try one once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jacks1071

by jacks1071

owl wrote:I have seen good deals on Recon and TA Kheops cassettes.

I would not be putting big mileage in and am aware of the short comings of such cassettes.

Which is the better product (Recon seems to have good press on here and I like the fact 9 cogs are part of a block which seems better for freehub life).

I would use either with a KMC 10XSL chain.

I bought a box of Recon cassettes at the Taipei bike show in 2010, I was amazed with the product at the show.

Thats where it ended though, the shifting performance was absolutely terrible - you had to hold the lever and over-shift to get it to change down gears properly. At full power on the bigger sprockets when climbing the chain would slip & jump which chewed the heck out of the cassette.

I believe they have updated the design so a re-test maybe required - but these were so bad I ended up giving them away as I didn't feel they were good enough to sell.

I'll stick with the dura-ace ones...