C64 & new wheelset hit all time low!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

divve

by divve

Nice. That's quite light. Do you happen to know the weight of your frame alone?

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Nice. Could you list your components?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Great bike Juanmoretime !!

How do you like those cranks? I'm thinking about them but need some user feedback.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Juanmoretime wrote:Thanks! It's been a work in progress. I'm buiding another Litespeed I picked up that the front triangle is a Litespeed Classic with the foil seat and chain stays from a 2005 Vortex. It's a one of a kind.

On to the cranks. The Pulsions are great cranks. Plenty stiff and the CT2 rings work very well. The crankset, 172.5, scaled 415 grams without the mounting bolts. The only thing negative I can say about them is that since the surface is not clear coated they can get scatched easily. I used the FSA alloy mounting bolts since self extractors can be a pain to work with and the FSA's are 21 grams lighter.

Thanks, interesting. Nice to hear!

Tippster

by Tippster

Why not switch the Thompson post for a lighter one?

Sticks out like a neon light in terms of ww upgrades...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Tippster

by Tippster

What material is the "New Ultimate" post made of?

I can't find any info, from looks alone, it appears to be alloy...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

willy

by willy

very nice bike juanmoretime, good example of how to keep a good frame racy and reliable, being light throughout...

willy

by willy

forgot to post my suggestion...alien ti seatpost...maybe it is lighter by a few grams...congrats again on a nice bike

Boonen

by Boonen

I have never had a Thompson post myself, but a ridingbuddy of mine has one and I think it looks really nice! He's very happy with it (not a WW though) You could make a switch to Schmolke/AX/M2-racer if you really want to save weight, they all make a very light straight post. The new ultimate is alloy as well, but IMO doesn't look as nice as the Thompson, but it is a bit lighter. (about 30 gr.?)

Really nice bike btw. :thumbup:

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

Tippster wrote:Why not switch the Thompson post for a lighter one?

Sticks out like a neon light in terms of ww upgrades...

I would think long and hard prior to switching out any part made by Thomson.

iubike

by iubike

Would you mind PMing me the price you got the C 64 for? I went to grab one today on QBP only to see it was freakishly expensive on QBP, I may have to find another distributor as this seat style is my new favorite!

K

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

Looks like you've got 221 grams to get rid of for your next weight goal. Your ride's looking good. I've got to wonder at the logic of your seatpost reservation though. I'll accept that the frame may be more resistant to clamping force, and that that may require a collar with more strength to overcome the resistance of your frame to the deformation neccessary to hold the seatpost securely. But as far as your seatpost knows with regard to the force required to hold it in place, the seatpost doesn't care whether your collar is fighting your frame or not, as long as the net clamping force is adequate to hold your post. Catching my drift? You should feel free to use a light post like an m2racer if you want, without worrying about the amount of force your collar is putting out reaching your delicate post. You've got a 6/4 seat tube running interference for you. (dumb emoticon representing good wishes here)

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Tippster wrote:What material is the "New Ultimate" post made of?

I can't find any info, from looks alone, it appears to be alloy...

Deda U2 alu I think. Also they apparantly have a carbon one on the way.

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

Nice..... very, very nice Juanmoretime!!

Go for the decals on the 2005 special edition Compact Vortex. They look hot! And have patience when applying, I've done it several times and it takes a while for the damn things to adhere to the frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

fffastfaz wrote:Go for the decals on the 2005 special edition Compact Vortex. They look hot! And have patience when applying, I've done it several times and it takes a while for the damn things to adhere to the frame.

You probably already know this, but make sure the surface is clean and degreased before you apply the decals, that way it will look smoother and stick better. When you have them on there heating them slightly with a hairdryer will make the glue extra soft. Gently rub the decals with a cloth or something and they will never come loose unwanted. Let us know how it turns out, I always liked Litespeeds!