Campagnolo Record 12-29 cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

Is anybody out there using a Record 12-29 (medium cage RD), not 13-29, setup on a regular basis?
If so, how have you set up the cogs/spacers?
Any good suggestions on where to buy individual cogs?
Thanks.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Cadence - I don't think Campag make a 12-29. The highest for a 12 inner, so far as I'm aware, is a 25!!!

I've been using a 13-29 for quite some time with a medium cage as part of my triple rig on my 2nd bike and have experienced no problems with the shifting. The rear mech is not the long cage either, but it works well on the 30 inner ring. Previously I had used a 13-29 combo with a double 39-53 set-up. Again, no problems shifting.

When would you use a 53x12 apart from going down a climb? If you haul that along the flat well chapeau!!!

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I only have experience with the 12-25 Campy cassettes but here is a place where you can order the individual cogs:http://branfordbike.com/cassette/cog.html

cadence90

by cadence90

KB wrote:Cadence - I don't think Campag make a 12-29. The highest for a 12 inner, so far as I'm aware, is a 25!!!

I've been using a 13-29 for quite some time with a medium cage as part of my triple rig on my 2nd bike and have experienced no problems with the shifting. The rear mech is not the long cage either, but it works well on the 30 inner ring. Previously I had used a 13-29 combo with a double 39-53 set-up. Again, no problems shifting.

When would you use a 53x12 apart from going down a climb? If you haul that along the flat well chapeau!!!

Thanks KB: That's why I posted the ?....I would have to set it up individually, I have heard of riders using that setup. I'd like the 29 for climbing range, and I do use the 53/12, I like it!

I don't want the triple setup, if I can avoid it. If the 12/29 is not possible, I'd go 13/29, double front. But I'd like to keep the 12 w/o spacing out too much. On the Record, I'm pretty sure one can go 11/26, short cage, or 11/29 (double front) on the medium cage, so a 12/29 should work, right?.

Thanks Rogue, if someone can suggest the cogs, I'd like to try it.
Right now I have 12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21/23/26....I'm wondering...maybe 12/13/14/15/16/18/21/23/26/29, but 18/21?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:Is anybody out there using a Record 12-29 (medium cage RD), not 13-29, setup on a regular basis?
Thanks.

Do what Tyler Hamilton did in the tour, switched to a 52-36 crankset. It requires a compact crank with 110mm bolt circle diameter crank. He used it during the mountain stages. You can go as low as a 50-34 with the same setup - this is usually the standard size for compact cranks. Tyler, let's admit, is world class and can handle the bigger gearing. FSA makes a carbon one, pretty nice. The advantage is you get a wider gear spacing.. with the right choice cassette you get as good flat road performance AND much better low gear performance for the hills. A 50-34 with a 12-25 in the back give MUCH lower gearing then say a 11-29 with standard 53-39. IMHO it's lighter, stiffer then a triple crank (also lighter then most standard doubles as well), plus you're much better off then with using the big honker of a cassette in the back. You can also go with a shorter linked chain and short-cage derailleur for WW purposes. And.. never underestimate the stealthiness, others probably won't notice the smaller chainrings but will notice the wimpy rear cassette. :oops:

Sheldon brown had a "gear calculator" which is a useful tool for comparing gearings (turn off pop-up blocker to use it):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

bobalou wrote:
cadence90 wrote:Is anybody out there using a Record 12-29 (medium cage RD), not 13-29, setup on a regular basis?
Thanks.

Do what Tyler Hamilton did in the tour, switched to a 52-36 crankset. It requires a compact crank with 110mm bolt circle diameter crank. He used it during the mountain stages. You can go as low as a 50-34 with the same setup - this is usually the standard size for compact cranks. Tyler, let's admit, is world class and can handle the bigger gearing. FSA makes a carbon one, pretty nice. The advantage is you get a wider gear spacing.. with the right choice cassette you get as good flat road performance AND much better low gear performance for the hills. A 50-34 with a 12-25 in the back give MUCH lower gearing then say a 11-29 with standard 53-39. IMHO it's lighter, stiffer then a triple crank (also lighter then most standard doubles as well), plus you're much better off then with using the big honker of a cassette in the back. You can also go with a shorter linked chain and short-cage derailleur for WW purposes. And.. never underestimate the stealthiness, others probably won't notice the smaller chainrings but will notice the wimpy rear cassette. :oops:

Sheldon brown had a "gear calculator" which is a useful tool for comparing gearings (turn off pop-up blocker to use it):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Bobalou, thanks, I like this suggestion, excellent :idea: :!:
The ratio at 12/25 w/52/36 is basically the same as 12/29 w/53/39 and like you said not so spread out.

Too bad TA stops at 39 for a 135mm, then I wouldn't have to change crankset.
I'll look into the FSA.

The Sheldon Brown gear calculator is super!