Kids Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Estelja

by Estelja

Ted,

What rims are you considering? There's a couple of older SunRingle 24" bmx rims that might be appropriate:

ICI-1
507mm bead seat dia.
21.6mm width
avail in 28 hole
395 grams
eyelets
QBP part # RM8703

CR-18
36h only
eyelets
420 grams
QBP part # RM8712

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I was thinking of the Alienation Ankle Biter 24" Rim:

Elite mini race rim made from 6061-T6 aluminum with a double wall design for the perfect balance of weight and strength.
Bead Diameter: 520mm
Height: 19.5mm
Width: 19.5mm
Weight: 12.6 oz / 357 gr

But I need to verify what diameter is required.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Velocity still do the Aerohead in 24inch, 24 hole drilling. I think they've also been known to do the odd custom thing too so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd make you a set of tubular Escapes or something like that. They use the same ERD as the Aerohead.

makoy

by makoy

my 7yo daughter. she stands 4'5"

trek 1.2 on 650c, her 3rd bike. she just learned to bike without training wheels december 2010.

she loves it

makoy

by makoy

actually i was keen on having a custom steel 24" for my daughter. fortunately, a good friend asked me to adopt his daughter's bike that she doesnt use anymore. i asked my daughter to try the 650c setup and she said it was fine.

i did some cad design for our local bike builder.

and the 24" wheels that i planned to build for her

i guess ill have to mothball the 24" project, as she is already having fun on the 650

:)

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Very cool :D
She'll have room as she grows!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Project Felt F24 is underway...

I just purchased one of these ( http://www.extralite.com/index_euro.htm ) to put on a set of these ( http://speedlineparts.com/?page_id=256 ). My son is going to try climbing Mt. Washington and this was the only way I could find to get low enough gears on a crankset 150mm long... it's also a ridiculously lightweight combination.

Wheels are next as previously discussed.

I have some older DA 7800 parts I planned to use on a second 'cross bike, but I may install them on this bike for my son. Using these ( http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=57427 ) he can reach the levers very easily. I'll purchase carbon fiber cages (long) and some other parts to tune the rear derailleur... like these, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =1&theater and marry that up with a 10-spd MTB cassette. Maybe one of Nino's?

My goal is to keep cost down by using parts I already have on-hand as much as possible or buying used when necessary. If only someone made a lightweight hndlebar in a 34cm width...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

For those seeking kids road bikes...

http://www.paco-bike.com/images/downloa ... atalog.pdf

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Any idea on US availability? Prices?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Sorry, no. But there is contact info in the catalog.

I think when I retire from the Navy I am going to start a high-end bike shop for kids.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

xnavalav8r wrote:I think when I retire from the Navy I am going to start a high-end bike shop for kids.
It's a good thing that you'll have your military pension to fall back on.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Are you kidding? With all the e-mails I get from dads about lightweight BMX bikes and little kids' road bikes I could make a fortune. hahaha

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Mods, please don't delete this ebay link. I am posting it for informational purposes only. It is not my link and I have nothing to gain by it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Piedrahita-Kids- ... 20ba1e6ee3

This is the same builder who supplied the 20" road bike my son has been riding for the past 2 years. We love the bike. I highly recommend it to any dad wanting to buy one for his child.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The Felt F24 project is coming along nicely. The bike has been completely stripped of parts and the rebuild is slowly commencing. I may send the frame to be sand-blasted as the paint and decals are a bit dodgy. I'm not sure yet.

Wheels are still an issue. I'm trying to find rims to mate up to 16F/20R hubs but can't find any rims with less than 28 spoke holes. Maybe I've vain, but I don't like the look of unused spoke holes. I did find some 24-hole tubular 24 inch rims that I am considering. But, since juniors can't race with tubulars, this may not be a worthwhile investment. I tried contacting Velocity, Sun, and Alienation about possibly ordering some of their rims with custom hole drilling, but no one replied.

Another component that I can't seem to find is a lightweight set of handlebars in his size. He's riding comfortably on a set of 34cm alloy bars which are not at all light. But we may have to make due with them. I've considered cutting them down a bit and even thought about a bit of drillium on the remaining ends. He spends most of his time on the hoods and, at about 55 pounds, won't be ripping them apart for sprints.

RudeE

by RudeE

My son's bike is a Piedrahita. Picked it up locally of craigslist (pretty cheap, $300 used). It has 9 speed Ultegra, 150mm cranks and 24" wheels. I've been wanting to strip it down and have it powdercoated. The current paint scheme is ugly :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com