HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am
Posts: 12
I am about to get a new frame but cannot decide between a Cervelo R5 or a custom HSG Serotta, has anyone got any advice about the Serotta???


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:53 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:29 am
Posts: 335
Serotta has been making great bicycles for years and years - What is it that you desire to know?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 1150
Location: Central USA
I'd suggest checking out the serotta forum - you'd quickly tap into many Serotta owners and therefore I'm sure a few may have some miles on a Cervelo too and thus could give good feedback.


Last edited by tommasini on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:37 pm
Posts: 12
I upgraded my 2008 R3 to an R5 about 4 weeks ago and I'm astounded as to how awesome this bike is. I've ridden plenty of top end bikes and in terms of stiffness nothing compares, not to mention the weight of the thing.

A bog standard build with Fulcrum Racing Zero, Dura-Ace and my Garmin 800 comes in around 6.5kg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7412
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
Serotta makes excellent frames, but there is an association between them and the perception of their owners being dentists, lawyers, or retired persons.
Cervelo also has some associations of owners, but not as thoroughly held to as Serotta's.

The Serotta forums will have plenty of fans of their frames, they can offer some biased recommendations.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 665
Location: NYC
I have ridden both frames extensively and they are both great in their own right. Which one is better depends on what you want out of the bike...what you are using it for. However, if you can afford the custom route with the Serotta (meaning frame built to your proportions) then not sure why you are even considering a stock frame.
EM3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 1038
I also own a R5 since 350 km.

What can i say...great bike.

Read more here....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84259&start=45

_________________
BACK IN BLACK


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:37 pm 
Offline
Tinker, Taylor, Tart
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm
Posts: 1739
Location: Sydney, 'straylia
em3 wrote:
However, if you can afford the custom route with the Serotta (meaning frame built to your proportions) then not sure why you are even considering a stock frame.
EM3

My thoughts exactly - why anyone would buy a stock frame when custom options are on the cards is a mystery.

If you can afford Serotta then why not look at Seven and Parlee (amongst many many others) too though?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
Posts: 201
Location: Bucks County PA USA
What type of riding do you do and what do you like to get out of the sport ? If you're racing, get the R5 for its weight, stiffness, etc. It's a great bike, but definitely a tool to go fast. There are better bikes for distance riding, etc. If you're more into enthusiast/recreational riding and enjoy aesthetics/nuance in things, go for the Serotta. Ditto if you have unusual body proportions and standard geometry doesn't work for you. They're almost apples and oranges - racer's bikes and enthusiast bikes. Granted you can get a race-geometry Serotta, but it will be heavier and lack many of the technical innovations (for whatever they're worth in real-world speed) of the R5 and other contemporary carbon race bikes

Editorializing a bit here, but I think Serottas are way overpriced - their cost is disproportionate to most other custom builders out there, including some of the one-man show icons. Before the faithful get the flamethrowers out, I do think that their custom steel and ti frames are some of the best out there. Custom carbon, to me, however, is almost an oxymoron. The differences between a custom and mass market glued tube carbon frame are nil and they make no sense unless it's a geometry issue for you. I ride for a shop team sponsored by one of the USA high-end custom carbon builders. The workmanship on the stock geometry Asian-produced frames is nicer than that on the holy grail custom domestic models at half the price. Neither strikes me as special - just glued tubes - I went with custom 6/4 ti for a mix of the raceable and aesthetic. I'm giving up about 300 grams to the typical carbon race frame, but I'm just 50+ Masters pack filler.

A long winded response to a simple question. Tell the forum a little more about yourself and your riding and the choice between these two should be easy to make.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 3359
Location: Athens, Greece
Serotta

_________________
My 6530gr Wilier Cento Uno
My 8618gr Colnago Master X-light


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Posts: 5081
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
ldamelio wrote:
I ride for a shop team sponsored by one of the USA high-end custom carbon builders. The workmanship on the stock geometry Asian-produced frames is nicer than that on the holy grail custom domestic models at half the price.

Hmm, is there any company other than Parlee which is a USA high-end custom carbon builder also selling stock geometry Asian-produced frames at half the price of their holy grail custom domestic models?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 1403
^Trek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am
Posts: 12
ldamelio wrote:
What type of riding do you do and what do you like to get out of the sport ? If you're racing, get the R5 for its weight, stiffness, etc. It's a great bike, but definitely a tool to go fast. There are better bikes for distance riding, etc. If you're more into enthusiast/recreational riding and enjoy aesthetics/nuance in things, go for the Serotta. Ditto if you have unusual body proportions and standard geometry doesn't work for you. They're almost apples and oranges - racer's bikes and enthusiast bikes. Granted you can get a race-geometry Serotta, but it will be heavier and lack many of the technical innovations (for whatever they're worth in real-world speed) of the R5 and other contemporary carbon race bikes

Editorializing a bit here, but I think Serottas are way overpriced - their cost is disproportionate to most other custom builders out there, including some of the one-man show icons. Before the faithful get the flamethrowers out, I do think that their custom steel and ti frames are some of the best out there. Custom carbon, to me, however, is almost an oxymoron. The differences between a custom and mass market glued tube carbon frame are nil and they make no sense unless it's a geometry issue for you. I ride for a shop team sponsored by one of the USA high-end custom carbon builders. The workmanship on the stock geometry Asian-produced frames is nicer than that on the holy grail custom domestic models at half the price. Neither strikes me as special - just glued tubes - I went with custom 6/4 ti for a mix of the raceable and aesthetic. I'm giving up about 300 grams to the typical carbon race frame, but I'm just 50+ Masters pack filler.

A long winded response to a simple question. Tell the forum a little more about yourself and your riding and the choice between these two should be easy to make.


Thanks for your advice the riding I will be doing will be for recreational enjoyment. No racing... Just wanted a nice bike. I liked the Serotta HDG but they look so dated!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 4:10 am
Posts: 110
I believe the difference between stock carbon builds pulled out of a mold and serotta or other custom carbon goes beyond fit.
Tubing selection, carbon layup are comparable to ovalizing/butting or varying diameter in tubes--they can produce different ride qualities, and the geometry can be tuned for desired handling characteristics.

The pez review of the Meivici ( http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7853 ) offers some insight into the carbon build process at Serotta.

Non custom frames are built to accommodate a variety of individuals of a particular height/inseam. (with a weight range between 120lb flyweights, Clydesdale and beyond) So depending on the rider weight/power output, they may feel drastically different. Moreover, depending on the manufacturer's quality control, the same model have a range stiffness/weight.

Having said all of that, the custom process sort of depends on the knowledge of the customer. If you have a vision of your perfect bike, and an excellent builder, they can help to realize it for you. But for those of us who are unsure if they want to lean or drop into corners, you can either A.) Trust the experience of the builder to produce a nice neutral handling and well fitting frame or B.) find a stock frame that you like and ride it until you discover and can articulate what you like and don't like about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Posts: 34
skouri1 wrote:
I believe the difference between stock carbon builds pulled out of a mold and serotta or other custom carbon goes beyond fit.
Tubing selection, carbon layup are comparable to ovalizing/butting or varying diameter in tubes--they can produce different ride qualities, and the geometry can be tuned for desired handling characteristics.

The pez review of the Meivici ( http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7853 ) offers some insight into the carbon build process at Serotta.

Non custom frames are built to accommodate a variety of individuals of a particular height/inseam. (with a weight range between 120lb flyweights, Clydesdale and beyond) So depending on the rider weight/power output, they may feel drastically different. Moreover, depending on the manufacturer's quality control, the same model have a range stiffness/weight.


This is an excellent point and THE one that I think would tip me in favor of a custom frame builder over the one size fits all approach. The advantage of the later is that they can typically design a lighter frame for a given stiffness because of the "tube" shapes used in a monocoque frame over a tube based frame. But even those lines are getting blurry...

If you do decide to go with a custom frame, I'd spend some time looking around at what your options are and not just blindly go with Serotta. I'm not saying that Serotta isn't the right answer, I'd just look at a few, Serotta, Parlee, Calfee, Cumpton, Strong, etc and see which builder's approach, price, etc best fits your needs.

Jason

_________________
1984 Ciocc Designer (63) '84 Super Record = 21.9 lbs
2000 Serotta Atlanta (60) '01 Records = 20.9 lbs
2009 Cannondale Caad9 (60) '06 Record/Chorus = 17.4 lbs
2009 Trek Madone 5.5 (60) '07 Record = 14.8 lbs
2011 Strong Extralite [steel] (59) '08 Record = TBD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], TomHelly, tommasini, Yahoo [Bot] and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Used Cervelo S3 vs New Cervelo S3 - 4200 budget

in Road

Marloon

14

1350

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:25 am

coppercook62 View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Cervelo R and Cervelo S series??

in Road

bigben99

3

1500

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:09 pm

RichieE46 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Custom Fibulas done!

in Road

UpFromOne

10

929

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

UpFromOne View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Custom Bike Recs

in Road

dvincere

2

355

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:25 am

dvincere View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Felt F1 Custom paint or Cannondale Evo:

in Road

upside

4

637

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 pm

ChiZ01 View the latest post


It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB