Weight Loss the lazy way... couple of questions

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Just ate 6 eggs for dinner. Will report about the effects later.....

Roobay

by Roobay

hmmm spending a little time working things out :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

majklnajt wrote:Just ate 6 eggs for dinner. Will report about the effects later.....

How did you have them?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

majklnajt

by majklnajt

poached

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yuck. Although as a child my grandmother would whip them in a bowl then add sugar and spoon feed them to me.

These days I will make a potato omelette with them.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Dalai

by Dalai

majklnajt wrote:Just ate 6 eggs for dinner. Will report about the effects later.....

If it is how eggs effect me, I'd be opening the windows already... :lol:

Did you just eat the whites or include the yolks? Yolks have all the fat and the whites protein is absorbed 100% for each gram ingested.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I ate all together.
Funny, I also expected gasses.... but none of it happened! :shock: Which is good actually!! :D

My grandmother was also doing the eggs + sugar.

I also liked eggs, cottage cheese + sugar ;)

daj

by daj

The only way to lose fat, not just weight (which includes muscle) is to burn more calories than you consume. And don't just take any calories, try to minimalize saturated fats and sugar. Just think with anything you eat: can I eat anything healthier? For example skim milk instead of 2%, oranges instead of orange juice, whole wheat bread instead of white bread, chicken breast instead of bacon etc. Keeping track of your calories really helps.

Create a calorie defecit between 500 and 750 calories a day and you'll lose about a pound a week (actual fat loss, if you try to lose more weight, you will lose muscle too).

Yes it will take you about half a year to lose 30 pounds of FAT. Losing 30 pounds of weight is a lot easier, but you will lose muscle too, while maintaining roughly the same fat percentage.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

daj wrote:The only way to lose fat, not just weight (which includes muscle) is to burn more calories than you consume. And don't just take any calories, try to minimalize saturated fats and sugar. Just think with anything you eat: can I eat anything healthier? For example skim milk instead of 2%, oranges instead of orange juice, whole wheat bread instead of white bread, chicken breast instead of bacon etc. Keeping track of your calories really helps.

Create a calorie defecit between 500 and 750 calories a day and you'll lose about a pound a week (actual fat loss, if you try to lose more weight, you will lose muscle too).

Yes it will take you about half a year to lose 30 pounds of FAT. Losing 30 pounds of weight is a lot easier, but you will lose muscle too, while maintaining roughly the same fat percentage.

You've got some of that right. Where calories come from doesn't really matter in an energy balance way. the only macronutrient you should really be concerned with is protein. As long as you're eating at least 2g/kg of body weight, you can fill in the rest of the calories with anything you want.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

rustychain

by rustychain

Rubbish
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

DrunkinRoxtar

by DrunkinRoxtar

I would say plan for the future. This is a sure fire way not just to loose weight, but to actually keep it off while remaining healthy. What I mean by this is determine your ideal (reasonable) weight, and consume the calories you will need when you have reached your target.

Now, the math part

Daily Caloric needs: apprx 30 cal / kg of body mass
determine your hourly caloric needs, that's your daily caloric needs divided by 24
cycling add: 0.15 to 0.17 cal / min / kg
multisport add: 0.14 to 0.29 cal / min / kg
weight lifting add: 0.1 cal / min / kg

subtract your hourly caloric needs from the exersise portion since it's 'built in' to the activity time.

So, if you're 210 and you want to be 180:
Optimal weight, 82 kg
Caloric needs 2460 cal / day
Hourly Caloric needs 103 cal / hour
Intense cycling 837 cal / hour

Two hours intense cycling = 2460 + (837 * 2) - (103 * 2) = 3928

Obviously the choice of foods you consume will have an enourmous effect on your results, you are what you eat. You'll want to look into your macronutrient distribution (that is the percent of each carbs, protein and fat) that makes up your daily intake.

I was a little bored, so I made a quick spreadsheet.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1e64eb67905ead6f&page=view&resid=1E64EB67905EAD6F!3325

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

eggs ...you eat the whole thing...

Kraaf

by Kraaf

I'm not the first one to say it here, but apparently, it needs repeating:
Listen. to. Rustychain.
I love you guys. Seriously.

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Shiversolitude wrote:Im currently about 215 pounds @ 6'1" tall 31 years old. I would like to drop about 20 or 30 pounds preferably 30. However between work, wife, kid, and another kid on the way Im not going to have the time to put in a huge workout schedule.

Ive started commuting to work every day, which is about a half hour ride each way. I was also going to try and get in another 1-3 rides per week of an hour or two each if possible. I really dont feel like doing weight training, or going to the gym... Ive been there and done that before and kind of just burned out on it. I also hate running. So Im being realistic and saying Im either going to get my excersize in from kayaking, or riding... two things I actually enjoy.

So Im wondering, how many calories should someone my size be taking in each day. Also is the amount of excersize Im getting going to be sufficient to induce any weight loss or am I going to need to do some huge calorie cuts to compensate.

Years ago I used to ride 7 days a week, 250+ miles a week. Never had a problem keeping in shape then but I just dont have the time to do that anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.

Youre exactly my height and age, so I just took my Excel sheet for nutrition(yes, I'm a control geek on that) and tried to crank some numbers for ya:

I assume your 215lbs are British pounds of .452kg each, so you weigh 97.18kg. I assume your bodyfat% is 19% as your'e not a couch potato, yet not in good shape either (yet).

Harris-Benedict gives me a RMR of 2111,6 and Katch-McArdle 2070. I usually believe em half each, so the average is 2091 calories a day = RMR.

That's what your body spends on vital body functions keeping you alive. Now we need to add your activity level and you can then just assume alot about a stressfull everyday and light training combined with an office job and you end at some factor to multiply the RMR with as you aren't lying down all day.

Are you working with your body(carpenter fx) or in an office job?..In general, do you use your body alot during work hours?

Assuming you got a kid and a pregnant wife that needs you todo more around the house, and you commute on your bike every day, I'd say you can't be much under 1.4 in EE factor for multiplication with the RMR for your TCN = RMR*EE = 2090 * 1,4 = 2927 calories spent pr.day including your commuting.

Eat 500-600 calories less pr.day than this number or "pay for the extras" on a bike-trainer at home in the garage/basement, when the kid is asleep.

So eat 2300 calories and stay strong. Eat some rolled oats with skimmed milk for breakfast, skip the eggs, dine on fibre-heavy foods and lean meats for maxing satisfaction feeling. Snacks can include tomatoes(yes weird, but it works!), canned tomato sauce for pasta eaten as soup, non-creamy soups but NOT fruits. Maybe an apple or a banana but don't eat more than 3 fruits a day, they are secretly candy caloriewise and no matter how healthy, they still pack calories. Avoid nuts and butter, use a light sour cream as buter replacement or a light cream cheese. If you need something sweet and really can't hold back, go for ice cream but the right kind. Look at the box, if the first ingredient is skimmed milk, then the chance is that a 500g/900ml box only contains 800 calories so a big chunk is just 200 calories. The less chocolate sauce etc in the ice cream the lower the calorie count is, but its still not too bad actually, just avoid the ice cream booths and single ice creams and ice cream buckets where the first ingredient is cream, those are the bad ones for ya.

Hope these advice works for ya. You, if you stick to 2300 calories should drop to 90kg the right way through fatloss in 93 days with progressive adjustment to lower RMR. 85kg after 177days, 70kg after 935 days(3 odd years) and bottom out at 68.5kg. These are theoretical numbers, as you can at maximum drop 80% fat of your total loss by doing a mild exercise or you'll be burning carbs in higher ratios as well. But expect 3-4 months to hit 90kgs on 2300 calories a day, assuming you can't train anymore than the commute and baby/house duties.
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Don't buy stuff like chips (crisps for you northern hemisphere types), lollies or even beer (depending on how much you like a drink) for the eventual mates 'dropping by'.

As you'll just end up eating them in between the the times the boys swing by.