Are any of the 100USD trainers worth it?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

turb0

by turb0

Hi Folks,

It's getting colder that I'd like to ride outside, and I'm pondering the purchase of a trainer for my MTB. I have noticed a significant number of trainers in the 100USD range. Are any worth their price?

Thanks,
Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

karlux

by karlux

I'm wondering same, just about 600$ worth trainners! :o :o

If riding on trainner don't have fun it isn't worth any money!
Light weight everything!

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

trainners is a waste of money. Ride on the sandy beach will give you more stamina and skill of control. That is my basic training. Mud and roots is a piece of cake to me. :wink:
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

discolite

by discolite

Stylomilo wrote:trainners is a waste of money. Ride on the sandy beach will give you more stamina and skill of control. That is my basic training. Mud and roots is a piece of cake to me. :wink:

Yes, that's good for you, but the man's in DC - quite some way to go before he sees shoreline.

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

IcIc. In the cities where is no offroad? Maybe trainning in the running water in the drain . Its good you know.hehe joking :lol:
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

turb0

by turb0

discolite wrote:Yes, that's good for you, but the man's in DC - quite some way to go before he sees shoreline.

So true, and so unfortunate :)

I suppose I should have added that I'm really just looking for a way to stay in shape through the Winter, not train for a race. Do trainers offer up enough resistance to make it worth your while, or would I just end up with an expensive bike rack? :D

Thanks for the advice!

Superlite

by Superlite

Trainers offer a buttload of resistence! way more then you can probly put out. Trainers are cool when you have some good tunes to jam to and maybe watch a movie at the same time.

gentri

by gentri

You would benefit from indoor trainers if you want a controlled environment in which you measure your power output, heart rate, respiratory rate, etc. The controlled environment would eliminate external factors (wind, rain, road conditions) that could alter your physiological response.
On the other hand, there is no better way to train than riding in a real outdoor condition.

by Guest

Thanks Superlite and gentri. I think there is a trainer in my future :)

downhill1234@aol.com

by downhill1234@aol.com

good trainers are about 120 usd get a mag not wind and you will be set to go rollers are also good for a little less $$

bobalou

by bobalou

turb0 wrote:Hi Folks,

It's getting colder that I'd like to ride outside, and I'm pondering the purchase of a trainer for my MTB. I have noticed a significant number of trainers in the 100USD range. Are any worth their price?

Thanks,
Bob

I've got a CycleOps fluid trainer, which I found on eBay for $90. It was used but in excellent shape - and I recommend the same. Fluid trainers are better then the mag ones in that they are quieter. Personally, I hate trainers because I hate indoor workouts .. but sometimes gots to do what I gots to do! I live in N.Va so I know it's been DAMN cold lately. When indoors I'm looking at my watch every 5 minutes .. out on the bike I forget what time it is.

turb0

by turb0

I lost track of this thread when they created the training forum. Thanks for the additional tips, guys! bobalou: I think our recent weather will sway me into finally throwing down the $. :)

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

If you cant ride outside trainers are a good solution. I ride 5-6h a week with an indoor trainer it's boring but it's very usefull for intervals..etc.
Use a fan or open the windows, you sweat a lot!
If you can afford it get a fluid trainer, I have a magnetic one and it's noisy.

karlux

by karlux

I just ordered Tacx i magic virtual reality trainer with steering frame... I think it's gonna be fun!
BTW - my brother is going to create a cool software for me to run a cooler acording to speed... it will be even possible to adjust wind speed!

This is a real trainer!!
Light weight everything!

turb0

by turb0

What about a Minoura Mag 850 with remote... Anyone have any experience with it? Will it make me sweat?

Thanks for any tips!
-Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com