Colnago C59 Italia new build Di2 help with parts

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Good day all. So I have become a Di2 convert, and with that went out and found a bike that has the ride comfort I like in my Time RXR but with out the sporty response.

Before you say Colnagos must be campy and traditional. I say this bike is mine and I am building it with the cutting edge parts I can find. I am up for help on all the other parts, aside from the Di2.

So far the 54s matte black frame alone was 1125g, add in all the parts in the box 1814g with nothing cut.
Im 6 foot and 180 lbs or 81kg so most uber light stuff from AX is out :(

Parts list TBA??

Goal is under 13 lbs or 5.9 kilos

ZIPP cranks ?g
zipp sl eb bar 44 (est 170g)
ee brakes (190g with pads)
extralite stem 110 ( est 80 g)
new ultimate bottle cage ( 10g)
mcfk seat post ( 107g)
selle italia slr teknogelogic carbon ( 125g or so)

wheels? what I have? not sure if I need another set but lightweights special edition in white might be sweet.
Attachments
002.JPG
005.JPG
not going to use the Di2 mount, but you can see this is not the same as the non Di2 frame
not going to use the Di2 mount, but you can see this is not the same as the non Di2 frame
Di2 drop out.
Di2 drop out.
very cool internal set up.
very cool internal set up.
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bricky21

by bricky21

With that frame and fork + Di2 + no uberlight components + your size you don't have much choice beside lightweights for a chance to go <13lb.
Don't get the special edition Lightweights, as they will look dated in a few years time. The classic lightweights will always look great. Just my $.02.

I would avoid the Extralight stem at your weight and I would also avoid the Zipp crank because the chainrings are proprietary and since Zipp stopped production of the crank theres no telling what the availability of chainrings will be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mofo

by mofo

many a shimano dressed colnagos have graced the line in first. nothing wrong with shimano, in fact both of my colnagos are shimangolos.............a little shimano a little campagnolo

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Bricky21 what's the rider weight limit on the extralite stem?

I like the zips as I can swap out rings?
Ax cranks, cannondale si sl ?
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bricky21

by bricky21

I don't think Extralite have a weight limit. I have one which I don't use, but let me just say that the thumbtack sized bolts and 2.5 NM max torque don't inspire much confidence when riding over rough terrain or racing.

What other chainring option would you have with the Zipp crank other than fibre-lyte? (assuming your considering the Vuma)

jwilliams

by jwilliams

not the best photos but here she is under way.
Attachments
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG

Roundabout

by Roundabout

I'm assuming the frame you purchased fits you, but am I correct in my reading of your post that you are 6 feet tall and purchased a 54cm frameset?

jwilliams

by jwilliams

54s has a 56.5 top tube and is the second largest in the range. But it is odd how it almost looks like a traditional frame.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

jwilliams wrote:Im 6 foot and 180 lbs or 81kg so most uber light stuff from AX is out :(
Goal is under 13 lbs or 5.9 kilos

wheels? what I have? not sure if I need another set but lightweights special edition in white might be sweet.

In Ax-lightness wheels - to soft?", jwilliams wrote:I'm a good size rider 6 foot max 180lbs and I have the srt 24 with extralite hubs 860g in all. Last week I rode stage 7 of the tour of California up and Down. I pushed my self. making it down in 18 min at 30 mph avg from KOM 1. I put my life in the hands of my AX wheels. Having tested them for 6 months now I have confidence in them and my ability with them. I would not hold a review with so much weight, I would say have faith in the parts and the builder.
grasshopper, have you not answered your own question?

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Point taken however the ax and rzr just don't look at home on the colnago. So I still request advice as to a good set Daniel son ;)

jwilliams

by jwilliams

As to my statement about AX products not being usable that is for the bars , stems , seat post that all have a 75k weight limit. The wheels have a 110k weight limit and I am well under that. Putting two quotes from two topics out of contex look to be a contradiction when in fact are both true given the above information.

Trust me if I could every part of the bike would be AX it's just so well made and is a work of art !!

jwilliams

by jwilliams

So she is built and I plan to do the Di2 mod to save 70-80 g
as shown she is 13.33 lbs with out the iclick, and garmin clamp she was 12.8 lbs, 5808g
I could swap out chain and casette and shave another 100g but she shifts so dang well.

the extralite stem came in at 88g
ee brakes 190 with pads & bolts
Mcfk 3k seat post 107g with bolts
New Ultimate water bottle cage 10g with bolts, and it works great.
Reynolds RZR with out stickers 883g

I'm out of options to drop weight, less body mass. But I like my cranks as I can swap out the rings for flats or hills.

Bike rides like a dream, and lacks the sporty snap my RXR has, but wow the road is soft uder my feet with this bike. Its like im riding on glass. :oops:
Attachments
time rxr 006.JPG
How the kids get to school
How the kids get to school
time rxr 011.JPG
time rxr 010.JPG
time rxr 009.JPG
I need the new black one.
I need the new black one.
time rxr 015.JPG
time rxr 014.JPG
I can't get over the weight !!!
I can't get over the weight !!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Nice bike, but in this configuration is it perhaps more suited for The Freaks topic? Is it rated for towing? Or maybe that's how Ernesto takes the great-grandkids out for a spin?
Attachments
time rxr 004.JPG

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

HammerTime2 wrote:Nice bike, but in this configuration is it perhaps more suited for The Freaks topic? Is it rated for towing? Or maybe that's how Ernesto takes the great-grandkids out for a spin?

I admit it looks to have significantly higher bar to seat height than many other bikes on here, but as long as he's enjoying it, who are we to pass judgement and say it's a freak bike.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Ouch not what I expected. I'm working on fit so bar and stem are not in my final position. But again this is a comfort bike. And so far it is very comfy.