Chinese FM028 - UPDATES PAGE 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

philhul

by philhul

Hi,
My name is Phil, I am from Newcastle, UK.

This was meant to be a happy post as this morning I picked up the first part of my new build - 60mm carbon clinchers from China. However, upon my return I have discovered that my current bike has been stolen from the 'secure' car park of the flat where I live. It was a 2010 Trek 1.5 C so nothing flashy but it was to continue as my winter / bad weather bike once the new one is built. I am very angry, but anyway, back to this.

The post will be updated as time goes on as the wheels are the only component I have but I hope to (and will now have to!) make progress quickly.

I don't know how the weights compare as I have only seen them quoted for tubulars, not clinchers.

Front - 0.755kg

Rear - 0.949kg

Pads - not that I'll be using these anyway - 0.022kg

Skewers - will be replaced by Planet X Ti & Carbon - 0.107kg

Sorry for the poor pictures, I only have an iphone.

Frame will probably be a FM028 (or rb002 as carbonzone call it), built with SRAM Rival or Force, rest of the finishing kit, saddle etc... to be decided. Was going to use bits from old bike in the short term but now I need everything!!!
Last edited by philhul on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

philhul

by philhul

I appreciate that with a Chinese frame, 1.7kg wheelset and SRAM Force this isn't going to be lightest but it's the best I can do for now budget wise. Once it's built I'll probably ride it for the summer then replace some bits with more weenie parts and build up a bad weather bike with what I take off.

I'm selling the PC1071 chain that came with the groupset and have bought a KMC X10SL which saves 21g on claimed weights :lol:
I'm also thinking of selling the force brakes and getting a planet x ultralight cnc set which would save another 75g on claimed weights.
Might get some Ti bolts etc also.

Anyway, build list is below, I'll add the actual weights in red for everything after I've had them on the digital postal scales at work. Weights in black are the difference over or under the manufacturers claims where I can find them.

Frame & Fork- Carbonzone rb002 1156g & 401g (uncut)
Headset - Neco 124g
60mm carbon clincher wheelset - 1,704g
Seatpost - Thomson Elite - 225g +2g
Saddle - Selle San Marco Regale Carbon FX - 199g + 6g
Shifters - SRAM Force - 343g +41g (though brake cables attached to mine)
Front Derailleur - SRAM Force - 88g 0
Clamp Adaptor for the above - SRAM - 23g
Rear Derailleur - SRAM Force - 171g -7g
Stem - Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Alloy - 119g -6g
Handlebars - Ritchey WCS Logic II Alloy - 258g +25g
Crankset - SRAM Force - 672g -8g
Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP - 111g included above
Cassette - SRAM PG1070 - 234g +24g (though claimed weight is based on 11-23. Mine is 11-26
Pedals - Look Keo Classic - 267g -11g
Brakes - SRAM Force - 267g +9g
Cables - standard SRAM for now - 230g
Tyres - Continental GP4000s - 432g +22g
Tubes - 192g
Chain - KMC X10L Gold - 280g
Veloplugs - 10g
Seat clamp - M:Part -
Ashima Carbon Brake Pads - 23g
Arundel Cork Bar Tape (including plugs and finishing tape) - 62g
4 x CF spacers (don't know how many I will use yet) - 12g
Skewers - 107g
Bottle Cages - Planet x matt carbon - 42g -2g

Running Total - 7752g :oops:

Any recommendations for reasonably priced weight reductions appreciated. New wheels out of the question for now, but might eventually try some some 20mm Chinese carbon clinchers
Last edited by philhul on Sun May 29, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

What supplier did you use for the wheels? I have 20mm carbon tubulars that appear to be from the same place, and I can attest that they are about 1,200g.....so add a bit for the clincher version you are looking @

The only upgrade that I can see for the price might be in the cassette.......you can get a lighter cassette for reasonable money.

EDIT: If you aren't married to the Look pedals, there are probably some weight savings to be had there as well.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to the completed build! :beerchug:

philhul

by philhul

btompkins0112 wrote:What supplier did you use for the wheels? I have 20mm carbon tubulars that appear to be from the same place, and I can attest that they are about 1,200g.....so add a bit for the clincher version you are looking @

The only upgrade that I can see for the price might be in the cassette.......you can get a lighter cassette for reasonable money.

EDIT: If you aren't married to the Look pedals, there are probably some weight savings to be had there as well.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to the completed build! :beerchug:

The wheels were from carbonzone as well. Can't wait to try them out.

I'll take a look at some lighter cassettes. Still got a fortnight until the frame arrives so now is the time to look so that I can sell the stuff I won't be using whilst it is still new and before it becomes lightly used.

I would consider changing the pedals but the looks are just so cheap. Plus I don't know if speedplays etc would be compatible with my current shoes. They aren't that old so don't want to change unless I have to. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

soriyu

by soriyu

sorry to hear about the stolen bike.
had a similar experience years ago with my cannondale r300 may she rest in peace.
horrible.

about the build:
keep up the good work!
:thumbup:

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Here's my part list with prices and weight...it might give you some ideas....

Hongfu FM039 UD finish frame (56cm), fork, seatpost, headset 1800g $660 -ORDERED
Sram Red GXP Group, 50/34 X 11/23 2214g $1649 - ARRIVED
Token 44cm carbon bars 185g $179 - ORDERED
Ritchey WCS Stem BB, 130mm 73D 130g $69 - ARRIVED
Specialized Romin Pro 155mm <159g $160 - ARRIVED
Pair Serfas Seca 430g $75 - NOT ORDERED
Wal-Mart Tubes 200g $6 - NOT ORDERED
Cork tape 56g $12 - ARRIVED
Exustar titanium & carbon pedals 176g $265 - ORDERED
American Classic hubs, IRD Cadence 28/32-(VSR), CX-Ray, alloy-nips, velox 1380.2g $773 - ORDERED
Titanium skewers 44g $37 - ORDERED
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

philhul

by philhul

Sorry for awful picture quality but frame has arrived!! Very pleased!! Going on the scales later tonight.

Will hopefully be building it up on Friday after which I will add some pictures from my pal's dslr and a brief ride report.

I'm excited!!!

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Cool!

Havent read all the posts... will you remowe the logos from the stem? ;)

philhul

by philhul

majklnajt wrote:will you remowe the logos from the stem? ;)

Not sure. I know wet black stem and bars don't look great with stealth matt frame but since the black bits of the force groupset are glossy with white graphics thought it might even out? I'll finish it and decide then.

philhul

by philhul

Didn't get it finished today so still a work in progress but you get the idea.

I decided I would go for the Planet X brakes so they are on. Also got their carbon and ti skewers so the weight saving has begun...

odin99

by odin99

looking good. i like how the mat finish matches on the frame and wheels.

philhul

by philhul

Well, they're never really finished are they... :lol:

Please note - the steerer tube is to be cut again once the position is finalised. Further, the seat post is to be raised, but will also be the first part to be changed as the Thomson setback ones only look good with plenty of post showing, not pushed right down. I'm tempted by some AX Lightness, but also one of these - http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=47&p=799& - as the claimed weight for my size is 151g and it's only £43.44!!

Anyway...

I don't know the final weight other than by adding up all of the components as above, which is not ideal. I've already saved 60g on the brakes and 65g on the skewers by swapping both for Planet X. My goal is to get under UCI limit and the changes will consist of seatpost, handlebars, another lighter wheel set and cables. Hopefully that will be enough.
Last edited by philhul on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice!

andyindo

by andyindo

Nice!What are your thoughts re the wheels so far?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philhul

by philhul

I'm not really the best person to comment on the wheels as I've never ridden carbon before but they seem plenty stiff, easy to spin up and easy to maintain your speed. Someone else experienced with carbon wheels might say the complete opposite but for what I need, and for the money, they are fantastic. Only negative thing is that the freewheel is really very noisy but I can live with it and it encourages me to pedal more!!