New KCNC Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IM31408

by IM31408

I was just looking through FairWheel's new products and came across this:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-10-speed ... -4139.html

A 10 speed Shimano cassette with titanium teeth that weighs 107 grams for an 11-23. So it's lighter than KCNC's alloy cassette and it has titanium teeth for longer life. They appear to have done it by making the central spider extend further and machined it more to reduce weight. Looks good but it is quite expensive and I only see an 11-23 and a 12-27 but maybe more variations are on the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I wonder if it shifts any better than the old ones? It does look nice though. At that price it would have to last at least 3x as long as a recon cassette to consider it.

DIRT BOY

by DIRT BOY

IM31408 wrote:I was just looking through FairWheel's new products and came across this:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-10-speed ... -4139.html

A 10 speed Shimano cassette with titanium teeth that weighs 107 grams for an 11-23. So it's lighter than KCNC's alloy cassette and it has titanium teeth for longer life. They appear to have done it by making the central spider extend further and machined it more to reduce weight. Looks good but it is quite expensive and I only see an 11-23 and a 12-27 but maybe more variations are on the way.

I want to try one, but no campy yet.
DIRT BOY

mythical

by mythical

This one looks like it could be a winner! I tried the aluminum/scandium/ti ones and while they weren't bad, durability was something to be desired. Sure, this one is $390 but that should be offset by getting more mileage out of them... :)

Now how about a DLC coated one, like they do with the pulleys? :wink:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Since the cassette is mostly one-solid-piece, there is little to no opportunity to customize the range. The range options currently on offer are a bit limited for many of us. :cry:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'm not actually expecting to see one produced in full ti for Campag anytime soon.

prendrefeu, you're definitely right that you can't customize the cogs, but at the same time since there are no loose cogs they won't damage your aluminum freehub body. So it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do any testing with these cassettes yet, but plan on doing so as soon as I get a chance.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If they made an 11-26, or 11-28, I'd be happy. Big-range is a necessary factor for ultra riding.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

DIRT BOY

by DIRT BOY

madcow wrote:I'm not actually expecting to see one produced in full ti for Campag anytime soon.

Well that sucks!! :? :noidea:
DIRT BOY

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

That's an expensive way to loose 50g, but if you've shed weight every where else...guess it would be better than an aluminum cassette.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

toutenhoofd
Shop Owner

by toutenhoofd

madcow wrote:I'm not actually expecting to see one produced in full ti for Campag anytime soon.

prendrefeu, you're definitely right that you can't customize the cogs, but at the same time since there are no loose cogs they won't damage your aluminum freehub body. So it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do any testing with these cassettes yet, but plan on doing so as soon as I get a chance.

Hey Jason,

Any idea if/when KCNC will make an 11-speed Dura Ace 9000 compatible cassette?

Thanks.
www.cyclingtechnology.com
(NOTE: This poster owns a retail business selling weight conscious bike related products.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com