Kuota Kharma Ultralite 2011

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

After thousands of miles on a no-name alu rig and probably also reading too much weightweenies I gave in.

Kuota came out with an "Ultralite" edition of the Kharma this year (upgrade being the all-carbon steerer) which I picked over the Kebel I had laid my eyes on before. The kit is fairly straight forward Ultegra with Katch 01 bars, 02 stem and CK03 crank. Wheels are custom AC 420s with CX-Ray. My bathroom scale says 7.3kg as pictured below.

Kharma-Ultralite-smaller.jpg

Got a fair deal on it, my goal for this season is to hit the 7kg mark by swapping in a few Dura Ace parts and a lighter stem.

Next year I'd like to go below the UCI limit, which should then be fairly easy with 1200ish alu clinchers and/or a lightning crank (together easily 500g of leeway).

Before you ask, yes, I'm sure deep-section carbon wheels would look posh, but I'm living in the mountains and my daily rides have 500-1000m vert. Maybe one day ...
Last edited by HillRPete on Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Good looking steed mate. I always like Kuotas, I came very close to buying a Kredo Ultra a couple years back.

quattrings

by quattrings

Like your ride :thumbup:

Just out of curiosirty, what hubs did you use and what's the weight on the wheels?

Thanks

HillRPete

by HillRPete

quattrings wrote:Like your ride :thumbup:

Just out of curiosirty, what hubs did you use and what's the weight on the wheels?

Hubs are American Classic as well. Running very smoothly, but not enough mileage on them yet to comment on durability (haven't seen a whole lot of favourable reviews on them, but they are affordable).

TashkentTerror

by TashkentTerror

Kuotas just look badass!! 8)

amnesia

by amnesia

I so wish I'd waited for this year's Kuota models to come out before I bought my Specialized Tarmac Comp... I just love the look of the frames and aero post. Will definitely get a Kuota next spring.

Nice. Very nice !!!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Glad you like it folks.

Gave it a tune up recently putting on Dura Ace STIs and derailleurs as well as red KCNC C7 calipers. Weight is down by 0.2kg to 7.1kg (bathroom scale). The ride quality is nothing short of awesome, immediate road feedback, but not harsh in any way. I especially enjoy the Kuota KS01 (Selle San Marco OEM) saddle and the Katch 01 handlebars, both are surprisingly comfortable and reasonably light.

Like many others I've found the stopping power of the stock C7 pads sub par, even in the best of conditions. Koolstop salmons already waiting to be swapped on.

As regards to weight, I'm wondering how to hit my 7.0kg target this year with the bike budget being depleted. Chainrings and cassette seem to be easy targets though.

More pics soon, off to ride ...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

One day I might be doing something about the stem. Wondering if a curved Bontrager or similar would fit.

amnesia

by amnesia

Awesome - love it !!!

revgilliam

by revgilliam

You bike is freaking AWESOME!!!

mrnotwo

by mrnotwo

looks fast!

em3

by em3

Great looking ride....but to be a real weight weenie you need to ditch the valve caps and align your tire labels with your valve stem :D
EM3

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Understood, sorry for the lapse. Anyway the rear wheel is due for being re-taped, and I was just so psyched to go riding, so I didn't bother :)

khm1972

by khm1972

Great looking bike. I am currently waiting for my new Kuota Kebel 2010 frameset to arrive and it has been orderd in size XXL. I am 192 cm high and I am getting a bid nervous that an XL might have been OK.

Since youvride this XL frame, can I ask how high you are?

Can't wait for it to arrive - just hope it looks alright in XXL :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Nice bike you have there.

You should get some proper scales for a more accurate weight. :thumbup: