Has anyone tried the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular Tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Quickdraw

by Quickdraw

There seems to be an age-old debate about the durability of a Continental Competition against the ride quality of a Vittoria or Veloflex (or FMB?) tubular. This tire seems to split the difference between the two camps in terms of construction.

The Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular has a polyester casing like the Continental, though the Schwalbe is 300 tpi vs. 180 tpi for the Continental Competition. Like the Competition, the Schwalbe has a puncture belt and the weight for both tires is around 250 grams. Unlike the Continental, which has a butyl tube, the Schwalbe has a latex tube.

I am assuming that the combination of the higher thread count and the latex tube might give the Schwalbe a better ride than the Continental. And the polyester casing of the Schwalbe might prove more durable and more resistant to water absorption than a tire such as a Vittoria CX. I have found the tire on-line for prices not much more than the Continental Competition. Any more thoughts on the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular?

The only review I could find on the tire was in Velonews: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/bikes-and-tech/reviews/wrenched-and-ridden-bike-reviews-schwalbe-ultremo-ht-tubular-tires_132470

Velonews gave the tires good marks generally. The only thing they said that bothered me was when they said, "The file tread on the rear is worn down in the center, as you’d expect after about 16 hours of riding. But you could easily expect to get another 15-20 hours on the rear before the tread really flattened out." At 22 to 25 miles per hour that works out to only 800 or 900 miles for the tire on the rear, which is terrible. It seems like most people get much more than that from a top-quality tubular, like a Veloflex, and many, many more miles from a Continental Competition.

Anyone out there with any more experience with this tire?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Why bother with mediocrity when you can enjoy the best?

Conti Comps or whatever cycling related Continental does has little to with your results yet has everything to do with their results.

The mere thought of having companies such as Veloflex ,FMB and Dugast around is just awesome. Truly awesome.

When it comes to cycling, Continental does not have a clue. None whatsoever.

Sorry for the fans, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

In my experience the rubber will wear rather quickly compared to some others and I would consider using it only as a race specific tire. I am about to replace a set myself after having about 10 races on them. They could last longer im sure but are showing a fair bit of wear. As tires though they rock in my opinion. I think they compare with anything else out there as a top racey' tire. Base tape is pretty solid as well imo as I have had to pull them off once or twice to true my wheels and re-glued them fine.
Just ride ..

carbs

by carbs

I have tried a set, i got 1400km out of the rear, the front is still going put 3000km on it and it still has a bit of life left.
The rubber is very thin, as soon you wear the tread pattern away there is bugger all left.
Also the base tape tears and stays on the rim when removing so it's a total rim clean before replacing.
I won't be buying them again, better of with veloflex for a little extra money, nicer to ride and last longer.

ollykyte

by ollykyte

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Why bother with mediocrity when you can enjoy the best?

Conti Comps or whatever cycling related Continental does has little to with your results yet has everything to do with their results.

The mere thought of having companies such as Veloflex ,FMB and Dugast around is just awesome. Truly awesome.

When it comes to cycling, Continental does not have a clue. None whatsoever.

Sorry for the fans, ;)

To shed some light on why this might be the case; Conti are now owned by the Schaeffler Group, a huge German mechanical engineering conglomerate. They bought Conti a few years ago, with a sole purpose in mind - their 'futures' technologies (i.e. R&D in low carbon automotive tech) a world away from the niche area of Bike Tyre production, as a result, we are unlikely to see any revelations from Conti in the near future; perhaps the gaps in TPI between the Conti's and Vit's says something more than the number of threads per inch?

marcusp

by marcusp

I've recently bought my first set of tub wheels and have been researching tyres to fit to them.
Vittoria always seem to be raved about on here but I looked into the Schwalbe HT after reading rave reviews on Wiggle's site (big bike & part supplier here in the UK).
They don't get much of a thumbs up based on the above comments. Maybe I need to look further!
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

kx_1

by kx_1

I just bought them, weight is 260 grm, as advertised.
I used to ride onle veloflex, excellent ride quality, but too many punctures!!!! With conti I have very good experience, but the ride quality is low.
From the point of ride quality veloflex for me is top,but the roads must be excellent in order not to have problems, I have change 2 sets of veloflex already and I couldn't put more than 1500 km on them, always a puncture and finished. Also I faced problems with base tape stayed on the rim.
With continental on my other Wheels, thecride quality was poor but you can make a lot of km, with any problems.. No problem also when trying to take them out of the rim. The rim was like new.
Now I am trying HT in the first set and vittoria SC in the other... Let's see
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

strandsatt

by strandsatt

Just bought a pair of 25mm HTs and so far they seem really nice. Ride quality is excellent, the best I've experienced so far, but then I haven't tried that many high end tubulars. As for wear and tear I can't really say much as I only have about 300km on them so far, but they seem to hold up reasonably well.

marcusp

by marcusp

That's some more positives for them. I'm going to get a pair and report back.
Wish me luck.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

kx_1 wrote:I just bought them, weight is 260 grm, as advertised.
I used to ride onle veloflex, excellent ride quality, but too many punctures!!!! With conti I have very good experience, but the ride quality is low.
From the point of ride quality veloflex for me is top,but the roads must be excellent in order not to have problems, I have change 2 sets of veloflex already and I couldn't put more than 1500 km on them, always a puncture and finished. Also I faced problems with base tape stayed on the rim.
With continental on my other Wheels, thecride quality was poor but you can make a lot of km, with any problems.. No problem also when trying to take them out of the rim. The rim was like new.

May I suggest you try the following in the future: should you buy into Veloflex tyres (tubulars or otherwise inclined), look at the date stamp of manufacture.
If less than six months old store them in a dry cellar (surely you have those in Hellas) away from light, any light source. Leave them untill they're at least six months old.

When treated like this you may experience far less (up to none whatsoever) punctures. Never had any problems with the base tape detaching from a Veloflex tub, tread yes but no more since the past couple of years.

That said, should I have to discard Veloflex for some hypothetical reason, I'd pick Vitto SC as next best choice.

Ciao, ;)

kx_1

by kx_1

kx_1 wrote:I just bought them, weight is 260 grm, as advertised.

May I suggest you try the following in the future: should you buy into Veloflex tyres (tubulars or otherwise inclined), look at the date stamp of manufacture.
If less than six months old store them in a dry cellar (surely you have those in Hellas) away from light, any light source. Leave them untill they're at least six months old.

When treated like this you may experience far less (up to none whatsoever) punctures. Never had any problems with the base tape detaching from a Veloflex tub, tread yes but no more since the past couple of years.

That said, should I have to discard Veloflex for some hypothetical reason, I'd pick Vitto SC as next best choice.

Ciao, ;)

I have to try this!!!!!! Thanks!!!
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

rustychain

by rustychain

Fedgrove Really, again???? no data, none, to back up this repeated claim. No science, nothing

My friend, I have much respect for your off base on this

Aging tires is an old MYTH! Does nothing to improve your tires. It can in fact degrade your tires if stored improperly or for to long. Your just as well off doing a voodoo dance to the road gods
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

otoman

by otoman

Ciao, ;)

+1, again. Keep preaching the truth, bruthah!
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

hidayanra

by hidayanra

I've got them on my race wheels - and they really are incredible.

I'll buy them again when the time comes to replace the ones I've got on there now.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

rustychain wrote:Fedgrove Really, again???? no data, none, to back up this repeated claim. No science, nothing

My friend, I have much respect for your off base on this

Aging tires is an old MYTH! Does nothing to improve your tires. It can in fact degrade your tires if stored improperly or for to long. Your just as well off doing a voodoo dance to the road gods

As you say, when stored improperly.

Science has little interest in this minuscule topic but may catch up eventually.

I recommend reading Kuhn on the evolution of science.

Rely on science and you'll always be lightyears behind..........

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com