Cannondale Super Six EVO: Released w/ pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berry

by Berry

Do any of you guys find it as puzzling as I do that Nibali rode his new EVO in stage 2 of the Giro but hasn't touched it at all for the last several stages, opting instead for his old SuperSix Hi-MOD? If it really is a superior bike, then why isn't he riding it? Something doesn't add up here.

Nibali Stage 2: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gir.../photos/172789

Nibali Stage 9: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gir.../photos/173837
Attachments
Nibali Stage 2
Nibali Stage 2
Nibali Stage 9
Nibali Stage 9
Last edited by Berry on Sun May 15, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

record

by record

Well, he prefers more stiffness probably, as they have to add weight to both bikes, so the choice is easy.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

Berry

by Berry

record wrote:Well, he prefers more stiffness probably, as they have to add weight to both bikes, so the choice is easy.
But if you believe Cannondale's claims the EVO is slightly more stiff, not less, than the SuperSix Hi-MOD. Product Marketing Manager at Cannondale, Maury Washburn, said "The SuperSix Hi-MOD and EVO have identical BB stiffness and the EVO has roughly 14% better Head Tube stiffness, 23% better vertical compliance on the frame, 28% better vertical compliance on the fork." You can read more here: http://www.infinitecycles.com/2011/05/h ... ix-hi-mod/

So I don't think your explanation is the case. That is of course, if you actually believe what Cannondale is saying. And if you do, the EVO is clearly the better bike to ride (even with adding weights to make it UCI legal) since it's more stiff and more complaint. So why isn't Nibali riding it???

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Same reason Cav went back to the Addict over the new Scott F01 during last year's TdF.
Same reason Lance went back to non-aero / non-sharkfin seat tube Madone many years ago.

I just think they're superstitious. And their "old" gear works just fine.

djconnel

by djconnel

In the case of Cav's 1200+ gram "Addict", stiffness may very well have been an issue. Maybe a similar deal here. It's not obvious Nibali's bike is stock. I assume geometry is essentially the same.

neomoz

by neomoz

djconnel wrote:In the case of Cav's 1200+ gram "Addict", stiffness may very well have been an issue. Maybe a similar deal here. It's not obvious Nibali's bike is stock. I assume geometry is essentially the same.

Considering he rides a venge now which isn't as stiff as a SL3, not sure about that.

It's natural for a rider to become "one" with his bike, to connect the rider would need to spend time on the bike and feel connected, changing major components in the middle of a grand tour probably isn't ideal, if the rider has a off day they'll first look to blame the equipment. This is why we see the pros go back to their old gear but over time they come around.

djconnel

by djconnel

You assume his "McLaren" Venge is stock, then?

I agree with you about change. But I wouldn't assume you can judge a bike by its sticker.

krtassoc

by krtassoc

kgt

by kgt

I may be wrong but I also guess stifness is the problem.
Either this or the evo frame has a rather "dead" - "muted" feeling. Top riders always love frames that give them road feedback.

neomoz

by neomoz

djconnel wrote:You assume his "McLaren" Venge is stock, then?

I agree with you about change. But I wouldn't assume you can judge a bike by its sticker.

They should remove the indicator lights. ;)

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

I highly doubt there is an issue with the frame. Here is the more likely story as to why some are choosing not to ride it.

These guys spend more time on their bike than almost, probably, anyone on this board. They get used to how a bike feels and they aren't used to change halfway through a season. Cannondale comes along and says "here is a new frame that we would like you to start riding right now for what is most likely the most important three weeks of your year."

Just a few years ago Chicchi wanted the Carbon Si cranks on his over the SiSL as they were carbon and he thought they were lighter and stiffer simply because of what they were made out of. Believe it or not, most of these guys aren't tech heads. They want to ride what they feel comfortable on and used to.
Doing bike things.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Yeah you ride a bike for 6-7 months (maybe more depending on if they were on the team last year), then told to switch to a new bike right before a grand tour?

I would certainly say no if I had the option to. If they said I won't get a paycheck if I don't ride the bike, then that is different story

kgt

by kgt

I don't think it is just a matter of habit...

topflightpro

by topflightpro

ttc359 wrote:That noise you may be hearing is my drool hitting the floor.... at $5k for a complete Evo Red, that is a steal. Boy, am I glad I didnt buy the 2011 SS Red, I was actually pretty close. As in all things technology, if you can wait, it is usually to your benefit.

It's too bad though that the Red option doesn't come with the SI SL cranks, but with rebadged Red cranks.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

kgt wrote:I don't think it is just a matter of habit...

Not sure on this myself. Contador switched bikes between stages, several different parts on each bikes also. It is ok to like several bikes, or have a bike for different stages/conditions. Like golf, you have different clubs to do different things in circumstances, no reason a bike should fit all criteria perfectly, it can't.

With that said, that article implies everybody on the team hates the bike and said no.

But hey, I bet it isn't the first time any manufacturer, while testing their latest stuff, got the thumbs down from riders and went back to the drawing board. I would imagine they have more failures than winners.

Makes you wonder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com