AEROLITE PEDALS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Nice link. Thanks. A copy are right down the street from me. Anyways I just took my TIME pedals off my Bike and did a quick spin on them, spinning, out of the saddle, etc. I think I'm going to really like them. I'll have to lower my seat, but one thing I noticed and liked was the decreased q-factor. I know it's the 'red herring' but I don't care. I just felt better having my feet in closer. It's pouring outside so hopefully I'll get to use them on the road tomorrow instead of the rollers. :wink:

I bought some 20mm m5 screws at home depot and screwed them into the back two holes of the cleat directly into the two holes on my Bont shoes. The placement feels pretty good. Once again, I have to give it more time though. If I decide I like it, I'll use the supplied sharp screws and drill them directly into the carbon thru the two front screw holes on the cleat.

bura

by bura

From rennrad-news.de. One with the original Ti spindles and a crazy light one with aluminium spindles? Custom made? No idea.:unbelievable:
Attachments
Aerolite IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg Aerolite2.jpg
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mypz4

by mypz4

hi gum have you got any up date on your pedals,iam thinking of aerolites my self

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Well since I stopped my new build, I don't have much more to say about the pedals, besides a few more rides. My initial impressions are very favorable. I've been using Time Ulteam pedals and look Keos. One thing I've noticed with those is I don't really use the float, so these didn't bother me. I have a new set of Keo Blades though just in case they end up not working out. To be honest though, I don't see why they wouldn't. My only concern is hearing someone say they would release at inopportune times. If this happens, I'll bail on them. Otherwise I think I found my new pedal.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

yacuman wrote:Could I have some input on aerolite pedals? I've been looking for reviews on this product with no luck.......thanks

I couldnt make em work. Zero Float is a non starter for a lot of folks but even with these set up well, getting in and out was whacky. The cleats make walking a farce (which is no place near a good reason to not like pedals, as little as you might walk in em).

I also pulled out of them pretty unexpectedly.

Cheers to the folks that like em, but I've met 10 people that tossed em for every one that uses them, and only know 1 person (first hand) that uses them exclusively.

wshiong

by wshiong

Any modification to make it not slide to the side while heavy pedaling? i almost want to change to other brand if problem still occur.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I haven't had trouble with side to side movement, but if you tighten the cleat to your shoe, that will make the clip in strength tighter and reduce any sideways movement.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

GJ

wshiong

by wshiong

i think some shoe design are aero so even if i tighten the screw the cleat will still bend like a ( U ) shape.. i suspect this become loose.

if the shoe is flat, i think should be no problem.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

Rick

by Rick

Any modification to make it not slide to the side while heavy pedaling? i almost want to change to other brand if problem still occur.

Just my experience: I used aerolites quite a bit about 15 years ago.
The cleats have a small lip on the inside and a larger stop on the outside (see the photo).
If you step down and engage the pedal without FIRST sliding your foot to the inside so that the outer end of the spindle is against the outer stop, the pedal will still engage and feel like it is locked, but the inner lip is really around the larger diameter of the spindle instead of off the inside edge of the spindle. In this case, there is only friction holding your foot from sliding outwards under hard pedaling forces.
If you make sure to get the inner lip properly off the inside of the spindle, the lip prevents your foot from sliding out.

It is subtle; and a verbal description sounds complicated; but it is really very simple. I know about this because I had the "sliding outward" problem a couple times until I looked closely and figured it out. It becomes a natural part of the clip-in foot motion.

I NEVER had aerolites just release directly. Those who do must either be incredibly strong or have a habit of "rolling" the foot in the plane along the pedal spindle while pedaling. Anyone who likes "no float" should consider aerolites, because they really have absolutely no float at all. Most systems have at least some flexibility in the rotational axis, even if there is no float angle. The aerolites are utterly rigid in the rotational axis, because the cleat are screwed directly to the shoe and follow the entire length of the spindle.

I really liked them quite a bit and used them for racing for a full couple of years. I only switched because my knees were getting odd sore spots and I wanted to try floating pedals.

You can also lay sandpaper on the bottom of your shoe, and then rub the contact surface of the cleat against it untill the cleat contact surface mathches your shoe contour more closely if that is a problem.

wshiong

by wshiong

Rick,

Normally i will try to engage by the corner of the inner part first , when the entire pedal lock in, i will slide it inward, this is the way i do.

I find it hard to clip from the top just by stepping in to it.

i also plan to place some flat washers between the shoe and the cleat to make sure its flat. just screw through it.

any other tips ?
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Maybe check you have the cleats the right way round?

Sorry if you have checked already.

Cheers

GJ

Rick

by Rick

wshiong wrote:Rick,

Normally i will try to engage by the corner of the inner part first , when the entire pedal lock in, i will slide it inward, this is the way i do.

I find it hard to clip from the top just by stepping in to it.

i also plan to place some flat washers between the shoe and the cleat to make sure its flat. just screw through it.

any other tips ?

I am not sure about this, but I worry that if you slide it inward AFTER clipping in that you stretch the lip-area of plastic cleat. The lip area is smaller diameter than the main portion of the spindle. This might also put wear on the lip such that it will not prevent you from slipping outwards after the wear has become great enough, even though your technique may work for a while.

I would always put my foot on the spindle, then slide the foot inward until I felt the outer end of the spindle hit the end of the cleat. Then I would step down with the outer edge of the cleat engaging a little before the inner end. Sort of "rolling" the cleat on to the spindle.

The disengagement would then be a reverse rolling, so I pull the inner end up first, rolling my feet, leg, and knees to the outside.

wshiong

by wshiong

I notice even how hard i try, the shoe wont clip from the top, until the whole arm are slightly moving. i afraid too hard will damage the bb and arm.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti