AEROLITE PEDALS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yacuman

by yacuman

Could I have some input on aerolite pedals? I've been looking for reviews on this product with no luck.......thanks

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i have a pair. the plastic outside towards the outside of the pedals is brittle, so if you don't engage correctly, small pieces of it will break off.....but since then, no problems with it.

also, u'll need to loctite the bolt in place, because i almost lost it on a ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Could I have some input on aerolite pedals? I've been looking for reviews on this product with no luck.......thanks

If it weren't for the zero lateral play I'd go for them.

A good alternative seems to be the M2Racer ORB peds.
In the meantime I think I'll stick with my trusted Time Impacts.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jonak1

by jonak1

Aerolite pedals are just fantastic.
I did 4000 miles with them and no problems. Just full satisfaction.
Call Bill Goldfuss at 509-6870824
Jonathan Kent

spoke n words

by spoke n words

I have been testing the Aerolites for about 2 months now. I am mostly happy with them with only a few problems that I am still working out. They are so light that it is noticeable when pedaling and with the newer SPD mounting they allow a little bit of float. I only use the float to help find my ideal cleat position and then go to fixed which is how I have it now.

It did take some time to get used to the new type of clipping in and out but I gave it time and now I am happy. I came very very close to going back to Speedplay Zero's (which is the pedal I recommend to most people) but have stuck it out and so far I am happy I did.

GOOD: they are very light, seem durable, work well, feel secure

BAD: whole new in/out style, some shoe customization may be needed, I seem to slide to the outside of the pedals by a few millimeters during long hard climbs (still trying to fix that).

wally318

by wally318

Mike, that was the first generation ti with turcite pedals. The tucite A used was quite brittle. I modded mine and used tucite X which isn't brittle and put it inside a lexan tube, which can't crack. Also it has less bearing friction. I also polished the titanium, which is really requ'd for use with turcite. The original version didn't have this problem, because it used needle bearings in an aluminum tube housing. The current versions also don't have this problem, they use a turcite X tube/bearing. As for the concern over float, I just have 1 or 2 things to say about that. Remember the quill pedals? How many degrees of float did they have? Do you think that Eddy Merkx had a special custom pair that had some float built in? And he won 5 toure de Fr. as well as giro's and veulta's and world champ's and there were some years when he won almost all four, not like 'you know who '. He also didn't use click /bar shifting nor dual pivot brakes. Are we weight weenies or weight whiners? Aerolite pedals are THE lightest.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

wally318

by wally318

2005 1:50 am Post subject: aerolite

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike, that was the first generation ti with turcite pedals. The tucite A used was quite brittle. I modded mine and used tucite X which isn't brittle and put it inside a lexan tube, which can't crack. Also it has less bearing friction. I also polished the titanium, which is really requ'd for use with turcite. The original version didn't have this problem, because it used needle bearings in an aluminum tube housing. The current versions also don't have this problem, they use a turcite X tube/bearing. As for the concern over float, I just have 1 or 2 things to say about that. Remember the quill pedals? How many degrees of float did they have? Do you think that Eddy Merkx had a special custom pair that had some float built in? And he won 5 toure de Fr. as well as giro's and veulta's and world champ's and there were some years when he won almost all four, not like 'you know who '. He also didn't use click /bar shifting nor dual pivot brakes. Are we weight weenies or weight whiners? Aerolite pedals are THE lightest.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

how can i get turcite X sleaves for my pedals?

wally318

by wally318

Mike, you can check googl for a company called SHANBAM that makes Turcite and find a distributor that will sell you a foot and machine them up yourself. Or you can contact Aerolite and buy the bearings from them(you'll have to give them the measurements of your spindles to see if the current ones will fit). They have had some size changes over the years. Either way you will have to spin the titanium on a lathe and polish the bearing contact surfaces for the turcite to properly work on your existing shafts.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

thanks wally!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

For those using aerolite's...how did you determine the proper cleat alignment? It's really not trial and error is it, considering you'd have to drill a bunch of different cleat holes. I tried double sided tape but it wasnt really strong enough. I guess I could put a small dab of glue on it until I find the proper position.

Bill from aerolite recommended using RAD from bikefitkit, but that fitting device is around $1300 :shock:

andyhunter

by andyhunter

i had a pair but i found them no use after a couple of races, at one stage my foot came out in a corner but there good for climbing and tts, i personally would say avoid, the cleats are made of a very very soft material and each time you try not to walk or put your foot down i.e. traffic lights then your prone to bend them which will make it hard or impossible to clip in and make clipping out awkward to. Its very hard and a challenge to walk in these cleats as it raises the front of your foot way up high. They might be light but i think because there not really that aero and because of having a bar make it seem weird or very unbalanced to get used to unlike other manufacturers that opt for a bigger area to set the foot onto but i found i could slide my foot out without clipping out because of the barel shaped pedal and the way the cleat was designed which make it not good. They were used in the tdf in the past and if memory serves armstrong used them at one point in his career. Personally stick with time, look, speedplay and you cant go wrong but you could also buy them to see if you like them as you might, just depends on your riding style.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Had the old... Had the updated...

Wouldn't bother even trying them again unless they redesigned virtually everything (making them a different pedal).

Zero float. Very poor engagement and release action. Poor durability of cleats and less smooth rolling for the pedals. And it shouldnt matter but walking in them is more difficult than anything else I've tried.

They're not light enough to ignore everything else about using them for me...

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Zero float doesn't bother me. I don't use any now. Poor entry and unexpected clip outs have me worried. I guess I won't know until I try them. Btw how did you guys set them up? Take a good guess as to where they go and keep the fingers crossed?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

gumgardner wrote:Bill from aerolite recommended using RAD from bikefitkit, but that fitting device is around $1300 :shock:
Go to a bike shop or fitter which has the RAD for cleat alignment. Here's the link for Pennsylvania http://bikefitkit.com/store_locator/pennsylvania.php .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com