Another Cannondale -- 2010 SuperSix Hi-Mod

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cleavel

by cleavel

Hi,

I lurk a lot more than I post here. Some of you may remember that in the Spring of 2010 I was looking at buying a Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod to replace my Cervélo R3. I was unsuccessful in finding a frame my size at a reasonable (to me) price so I went with a Lapierre Xelius FdJ. Well, the Xelius didn't stir my soul and I was still lusting after the SuperSix. After untold internet searches and ebay bids, I found a 2010 SuperSix Hi-Mod in my size at a not so local LBS. It's a custom team-color paint scheme. Unfortunately, not my team. :p

For now this is the only photo that I have to post:

Weighs in at 14.40 lbs on my Feedback Sports Alpine Digital Scale. (I can't remember the weight in Kgs. :oops: )

More photos and info later.
Thanks.
Cleave
Visit my blog at http://www.lawville.org/

Rumsas

by Rumsas

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

please, put on some single-colored bar tape. The frame paint is very nice

upside

by upside

That is ONE SWEEEEET Paint job. You'll love the bike :beerchug: :up:

fa63

by fa63

I kind of like the dual tone bar tape, but not the white lettering on the black part of the tape. I think the paint scheme and the overall build is pretty good looking, too.

Good luck racing the heck out that bike :thumbup:

cleavel

by cleavel

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the bar tape, I bought several fi’zi:k Antares saddles on closeout and on ebay. Each of them were "team" saddles and came with bar tape. Despite appearances, I am kind of cheap so I needed to use the tape that came with the saddles. The white and red (Cofidis) saddle that I put on this bike came with shiny red tape. I ended up using that tape on my red Serotta. This tape came with a black and red (Cervélo) saddle and it seemed the best choice of what I had available.

At some point I'll buy some solid colored tape though I'm not certain of the color yet. That might be a while since this Microtex tape last a long time.

The bike felt pretty good in its inaugural race. Too bad I am not as fast as the bike. :oops:

Oh, and for the metric crowd, the measured weight was 6.54 Kg.
Thanks.
Cleave

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Looks very nice, love the blue color. The red handlebar tape and saddle fits the bike pretty good although there's no red on the frame or wheels. Post more photos when possible :)
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

elviento

by elviento

Not sure why I am the first to say this, but... LOSE THAT CONE SPACER, AND GET A REGULAR ANGLE STEM!

Otherwise very deliciously set up! Bravo.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

cleavel

by cleavel

elviento wrote:Not sure why I am the first to say this, but... LOSE THAT CONE SPACER, AND GET A REGULAR ANGLE STEM!

Otherwise very deliciously set up! Bravo.

Because a lot of other people like horizontal stems? :wink: Being old, I am not a big fan of rising stems. Also, my weird aesthetic sensibility has me preferring stems that are roughly parallel to the top tube. I conservatively set the bike up with the horizontal stem knowing that any kind of a rising stem would need fewer spacers.

I MAY go with a -10° stem since the top tube isn't quite parallel. I'd be happier if someone made something like a -13° stem. I personally think that -6° stems look terrible on the SuperSix.

Otherwise thanks very much for the bravo. :)
Thanks.
Cleave

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I like it.

Light.

Out of the ordinary paint scheme.

Campa man.

Bravo.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

devinci

by devinci

you could save decent weight and improve easthetic a lot by switching your campy cranks to black hollowgram ones

bto11

by bto11

Nice bike! Really like the blue/white.

Can you comment on the Super Six vs. the R3 (ride quality, etc.)?

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

cleavel wrote:I MAY go with a -10° stem since the top tube isn't quite parallel. I'd be happier if someone made something like a -13° stem. I personally think that -6° stems look terrible on the SuperSix.

Otherwise thanks very much for the bravo. :)

The ZIPP SL145 has a 12.5-degree drop, and its beefiness would look good with that massive head tube.
The Specialized Pro-Set stem would work although heavy and definitely sand/repaint or go for the red and remove the decals IMO.

I have a CAAD10, and I opted to toss the 25mm cone for a 10mm stack. The down side is that I lowered the ease of reselling as the fork steer is cut lower, but since I plan to ride it until it breaks I have no regrets.

Cheers.

cleavel

by cleavel

devinci wrote:you could save decent weight and improve easthetic a lot by switching your campy cranks to black hollowgram ones

Hi, I think the aesthetic of the Hollowgram crankset falls into the YMMV category. Hollowgram cranks look too industrial for me although from a performance perspective they are intriguing.

bto11 wrote:Can you comment on the Super Six vs. the R3 (ride quality, etc.)?

Thanks, the most noticeable thing about the SuperSix is that it rides as smoothly as R3. For reference, I had a 2009 R3 with the same group (in fact, the rear brake is from that bike -- long story) and the wheels on the SuperSix are from the R3. Of course, having "grown up" on somewhat harsh steel racing bikes, the smoothness of the SuperSix and R3 and somewhat disconcerting. The reason why I got rid of the R3 is that in a 51 cm size, the handling (with my somewhat peculiar bio mechanics) was not good. The front end would not turn in well and would lose traction when pushed. The Lapierre Xelius that I bought to replace the R3 had no handling vices, but it also was not stellar in any area. I will be racing a couple of criteriums this coming weekend with the SuperSix and will have more to say after that.

ahumblecycler wrote:The ZIPP SL145 has a 12.5-degree drop, and its beefiness would look good with that massive head tube.
The Specialized Pro-Set stem would work although heavy and definitely sand/repaint or go for the red and remove the decals IMO.

I have a CAAD10, and I opted to toss the 25mm cone for a 10mm stack. The down side is that I lowered the ease of reselling as the fork steer is cut lower, but since I plan to ride it until it breaks I have no regrets.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip! I wish I'd thought of it before I bought the Ritchey stem. :thanx: I may go with that at a future date as I dial in the position a little more precisely. However, the position was good enough for me to survive a 74 mile road race this past weekend.
Thanks.
Cleave

bto11

by bto11

Thanks for the R3 vs. SuperSix response. I am currently on a 51cm R3, and have sometimes found the fit and handling a bit strange. Did you go with a 52cm Cannondale?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com