Beware of AX LIghtness Daedalus Seatposts breaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon2329

by carbon2329

While it is true that light parts don't last as long, it is dissapointing the way AX seems to handle claims:

I have to ask..........

Has anyone who has tried to have an AX component replaced under warrentee been succesful? (really, this is a seriouse question, that would be interesting to find out)
It is very dissapointing to have a company that dose not deliver products when promised, is slow to respond to communication, or that dosn't respond at all, even when you are trying to give them $$$. I have experienced all of these things, some more than once. Why I keep doing it, I don't know. :?

I like AX and regularly use many of thier products. I have had good experiences with most of thier components (deadalus, phenoix, morphous, bar, orions, etc... I haven't had a lot of miles on some of them yet, but others quite a lot)

But, I have to say that I have intentionally purchased spare parts and more than one of certain parts in anticipation of failures. I think that is telling in itself.....
But I would most likely stop using thier products becsuse of service, not because of product failures.

I also, happen to be on the light side of the weight issue (57kg), so........ ("knock-on-wood")

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

Daedalus is a dirty word to me. I had 3 Daedalus posts fail, all cracked along the top edge beneath the back half of the half pipe. None were catastrophic but found them all when the saddle tilt/setback wouldn't stay in place. Never tightened bolts more than 4-5Nm. Never got any replaced or any discounts either, not that I wanted another post anyway.

The carbon half pipes seem to last about 3-4 years before failing. I use the AX half pipes and clamp hardware in Selcof carbon posts now since the Daedalus failures and both half pipes I was using failed recently within a few months of each other despite greatly varying use. Not an unreasonable lifespan really so I can't complain about those.

On the other hand I've had zero problems with AX Endurance saddles, crashed, thrashed or whatever. So for AX overall I have to agree with Bad Santa and say "they can't all be winners now, can they?"

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

mdeth1313 wrote:which is why the only ax product I use is their saddles. They seem to have a proven track record of lasting at least 3 years although there are many reports of people having and using their saddles 5 years or more.

I won't touch their other stuff. My experience w/ the daedalus post was less than stellar. Customer service was outright awful. I'm just glad it didn't break and I was able to sell it.

If you buy ax products you need to go in understanding there are other products out there that push the limits and are more reliable.

How about the Zeus stem?
Got mine last week and it is still in the box.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

JohnHesjedal wrote:How about the Zeus stem?
Got mine last week and it is still in the box.

No idea. I personally wouldn't touch one, I've been quite happy with extralite (for over 4 years now) and 81g is low enough for me (at 1/3 the price). There were two people either on this forum or fairwheelbikes that had major issues w/ zeus stems cracking and/or bolt quality and ax customer service (but that's a given), but that's all I saw. Now that Nils is no longer with them I don't see how that customer service can improve.
Speedplay is the devil!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Do you know how many people across the world are using this stuff without any problems whatsoever. We hear one or two bad stories that get rehashed and twisted. I would think they've sold thousands and thousands of these. If they had significant problems I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for them to make changes. Besides different types of screws being used I don't know of any major changes. That tells me maybe they don't sed many problems with their design. Personally...I'll see how it holds up. I'll report back hopefully. Lol :D

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

gumgardner wrote:Do you know how many people across the world are using this stuff without any problems whatsoever. We hear one or two bad stories that get rehashed and twisted. I would think they've sold thousands and thousands of these. If they had significant problems I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for them to make changes. Besides different types of screws being used I don't know of any major changes. That tells me maybe they don't sed many problems with their design. Personally...I'll see how it holds up. I'll report back hopefully. Lol :D

...thousands and thousands of people who paid 1k$ for a stem....really have you seen their financial statements?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc.. I would Imagine so

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc.. I would Imagine so

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I've had one for more than 3yrs, no issues.
rolobikes

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I seriously doubt they've sold thousands and thousands of stems- that's what those last couple of posts were about. I don't know how many they've sold, but at $1000 a stem, I'd venture to doubt they've sold hundreds at this point.
Speedplay is the devil!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I never mentioned thousands and thousands of 'stems'. I'm talking about all of their components.

Caveman

by Caveman

Dont most manufactures recommend that handlebars, stems, and seat post be changed out every three years do to fatigue? I've only ever seen these warnings from mainstream manufactures, but I can only imagin that the same would apply to a part weighing a fraction as much. (BTW-I realise that these types of warnings are to cover the manufactures ass and are likely writen by the legal department rather than the engineering, but still...)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

gumgardner wrote:I never mentioned thousands and thousands of 'stems'. I'm talking about all of their components.

I think someone else interpreted it the same way (we were discussing their stems at that point). As for the rest of their stuff. I use their endurance saddle. Their saddles seem to have a nice long, reliable track record where the daedalus does not and that goes beyond postings on WW.

My personal take on it is I'll only use their stuff if I'm confident I'll get good use out of it. That leaves me to their saddles. The handlebars are nice and light, but I'd still go w/ schmolke before ax because I'm aware of their track record (and customer service).
Speedplay is the devil!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Schmolke needs a setback post. :smartass:

TS-Biker

by TS-Biker

I use the ax endurance saddle for several years now, did the tour of Flanders with it and it works fine, I really like it, as for the rest of the products on my bike(s) I use heavier parts that I can rely to.
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com