Campagnolo 2012, Made in Romania?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Which gruppo is now made in Romania for 2012? A fellow at the LBS told me their stuff is now made in Romania. I just want to confirm. IMHO, that is not good.
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrnotwo

by mrnotwo

better than China I guess

Robroyski

by Robroyski

2011 SRTi crankset is made in Romania

tommasini

by tommasini

Much of Assos is also now made in Romania

As I look at it - at least it's closer to their home base with a culture that is also closer to their own.....versus a variety of alternate conditions presented by the far east........it's all about economics and survival in a competitive marketplace......

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HanSolo, where have you been the last couple of years? I was afraid you had drilled your seat tube, or worse, and not "gotten away" with it. Drilling holes in CF frames to save weight

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HanSolo wrote:Which gruppo is now made in Romania for 2012? A fellow at the LBS told me their stuff is now made in Romania. I just want to confirm. IMHO, that is not good.
Why is it not good? As long as they don't pull a Pinarello type stunt and make out it's still "Made in Italy" and there isn't a drop in quality there's no problem, IMO.

sharkman

by sharkman

If you ever saw how most Italian products are put together (fiat, Alfa you name them) I can say that design is always tastefull but its a miracle that Campagnolo has managed to built up a reputation on durability.
Built quality with Italians is nearly always less important than design and I gues when Roemenians do the work and Campy the design this won't be nescesarily a bad thing (and will guarantee that profits will stay intact)

Danton

by Danton

Same for Sidi, many shoes made in Romania too. Lots of Italian produce are made abroad and then final touches get done in Italy to ensure the "made in Italy" label. In the past these labels mattered but mass production and quality control means there is less craft and skill. For me it makes no difference if it's Romania or Italy, except if you want to look at the costs, the way staff are treated and more...

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I don't think it matters anymore as long as Campy usese good manufacuturer and does good QC. However I don't understand the rational of Romania over China condisder I'm having good luck with all my Apple products (MacBook, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc) and they are all made in China.

udis80

by udis80

Hi
i just recived a group of super record from chain reaction
all of it made in italy -just the crankset is made in romania

Caveman

by Caveman

I believe Campagnolo owns the Romanian factory, so it's not quite as unpure as contracting it out to a 3rd party IMO. I have heard that the lower end Campy and Fulcrum groupos and wheels are made in the far east to apparently be closer to OEM...

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

who knew Count Dracula had such a talent for running a composites factory?

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Lots of Castelli stuff is made in Romania too [the top of the line ranges], the second tier appear to be made in Croatia...
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

Getter

by Getter

ipenguinking wrote:I don't think it matters anymore as long as Campy usese good manufacuturer and does good QC. However I don't understand the rational of Romania over China condisder I'm having good luck with all my Apple products (MacBook, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc) and they are all made in China.

I think people assume that as long as its not "made in China" it MUST be better. Even though some the Chinese facilities can make alot of the European facilities look like they are from the stone age.

Quality Control...I think thats the most important part...where its made is more for yo ego. :wink:

encomium

by encomium

i found this article with some interesting methods of determining where a bike is made, perhaps it applies to components too.

http://allanti.com/articles/where-was-my-bike-made-pg328.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com