Specialized Prevail helmet

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

musket

by musket

@KHD

Thanks - I know they weren't compliant (or at least some of those being 'made available') in October for Worlds. Good to see they are now, the one I have hanging up (sans sticker) looks like a decent helmet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

Really disappointed in the Aussie availability.
I've been getting told for months (and as recently as yesterday) that it's going through the approval process and the hold up was just where the straps are "buckled" (or not in this case) together under the ear.
Seems that may all be BS?

Looks like I'll have to turn my attention to the Giro Aeon instead.
Released later and maybe available to purchase sooner (assuming it passes AS testing)... :?

heresjason

by heresjason

Does anybody know if there have been any changes with the release of the Prevail?? And on a slightly related note, if my helmet is Aus certified will it be allowed to be raced in USA??
Cheers!

khdroberts

by khdroberts

heresjason:

Changes? Not for the last week or so, no. The situation is as it was.

I don't know if you'll be able to race in the US with an Aus certified helmet, but one of the other forum members will most likely be able to answer that one.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Just thought I would toss in a comment about the Prevail based on the helmet tests done by Roadbike magazine (Germany) in the recent issue:

The thermoscans conducted on how well each helmet's air flow is rated the Prevail as basically the hottest helmet (temp, not looks) of all brands/models/price classes tested (18 in total). The thermo picture looks like a head of lava.

The Prevail was compared in the Top Class category with the Casco Ares Road, Lazer Helium RD, Met Sine Thesis, Uvex FP3 and the Giro Prolight (which had also surprisingly better air flow in the testing than the Specialized...)

All other categories such as fit, comfort and workmanship were top rated for the Prevail, the air flow killed it in the comparison though.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

SvenNijs - I've heard that Giro are not bothering certifying their Aeon here. Which would be a massive pity, as it's a lovely helmet.

The c50 I liked, however those rubber cushions are terrible! Ripped my hair each time I removed the helmet, then they eventually pulled themselves off :?

khdroberts

by khdroberts

TP:

Yes, that happened to me for the first few wears until I realised that it was best to take the helmet off by swinging the rear pivot points up as you pull the helmet off forward. After that, no issue.

Personally I think the rubber gel grippers were a good idea - for all day riding, but not great for the real world of one or two hours on the bike or stop / start riding.

I think you're right, Giro (or should I say, the Australian importers) probably won't go through with Approvals for the Aeon. Pity as it looks like Giro's version of an Lazer RD.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Stolichnaya wrote:Just thought I would toss in a comment about the Prevail based on the helmet tests done by Roadbike magazine (Germany) in the recent issue:

The thermoscans conducted on how well each helmet's air flow is rated the Prevail as basically the hottest helmet (temp, not looks) of all brands/models/price classes tested (18 in total). The thermo picture looks like a head of lava.

The Prevail was compared in the Top Class category with the Casco Ares Road, Lazer Helium RD, Met Sine Thesis, Uvex FP3 and the Giro Prolight (which had also surprisingly better air flow in the testing than the Specialized...)

All other categories such as fit, comfort and workmanship were top rated for the Prevail, the air flow killed it in the comparison though.

It's probably asking a lot of you, but would you be able to upload some scans of the article at all?

rustychain

by rustychain

I am very perplexed by that review. I found the airflow to be better than any helmet I've used. Further the airflow is best were I need it most, no sweat dripping in my eyes. Never seen the review but if they are looking at the helmet with thermal imaging would not the helmet showing greatest heat loss be the coolest?
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

khdroberts - tried that.

Appears my masses of curly hair was still too much for them :(

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

Tinea Pedis wrote:SvenNijs - I've heard that Giro are not bothering certifying their Aeon here. Which would be a massive pity, as it's a lovely helmet.

I'll check them both out when I'm in Europe and see what we're missing out on.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I'll scan the RoadBike magazine article tomorrow and post it / send it to those who want it.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Well, what do you know - turns out the Prevail will be available in Aus - and very soon too by the sounds of it.

Happy to say that I was wrong when I said it'd never happen!

:thumbup:

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Hi all,

I can now confirm that limited sizing / colour range is now available of the Prevail in Australia - several LBSs in Melbourne have some stock - the helmet has been redesigned (specifically, the vent at the rear of the ear has now been removed).

Hope that helps everyone out!

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

Where can i get one and at what price?
Birthday coming up and need a new lid. Shop in Geelong cant seem to get anything from Spec.
Waiting for test saddles to come in since Dec. 2010.