Brake pad and wheel switches!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sir Rides a Lot

by Sir Rides a Lot

btompkins0112 wrote:
shill wrote:i have been racing form 16 years, most of that time is racing on carbon wheels and training on aluminum. i have yet to ever switch out pads between the different wheels. if you use the shimano pads, they are good for both. the first time you hit your brakes with the carbon rims it will take care of whatever is in the pad. i can tell you that a little tiny piece of aluminum shaving is not going to damage a carbon rim. you can continue to buy $50 brake pads that do little other than drain your wallet, or buy the $9 shimano pads that will last most of a 50+ race season and work just as well.

scott

+1.......all these pad colors, etc. is just marketing hype.

This discussion isn't really about different types (and colors) of pads, but on whether or not you should swap pads when changing between aluminium and carbon rims.

Each to his own, but I've seen pads which had pieces of aluminium firmly stuck in them. I doubt whether you would use these pads on you precious carbon rims... (although this wouldn't be nice for your aluminium ones either)

In all: better safe than sorry...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Actually it is........different pad colors supposedly denote different compounds that are supposed to be better/worse for different rim materials. I am saying that most compounds work fine on varying rim materials, and thus the "colors" are marketing hype.......thought that train of thought was easy to follow. Guess not.

Sir Rides a Lot

by Sir Rides a Lot

btompkins0112 wrote:Actually it is........ .

Read the starting post again, and you're right. My bad.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

It's not so much the aluminum, but the road grit that collects together on the pad and sticks to your rim in the wet which causes the grinding on your rims. Once this grit is in your pad, clearly it's harder than any rim material and your should remove it.

As for using standard shimano pads on carbon rims, they don't work well in the wet or end up being very grabby with extremely poor modulation when road or crit racing. If you ride these in the big mountains with heavy braking corners, within a couple of days they will wear down to nothing. For sunday/leisure cycling they're fine and you can get away with it, but nothing too fast or too wet in my experience. I actually use then on my TT bike, but this hardly sees any braking and they run with the same set of wheels all the time.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the road debris being a bigger issue than 'aluminium shavings'.

As for using conventional pads on a carbon rim, you may be able to get away with it for your local crit, but on a 15km descent with pitches at 12%, you're not making it to the bottom in one piece...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Sir Rides a Lot wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Actually it is........ .

Read the starting post again, and you're right. My bad.

I re-read my post.......didn't mean to sound like a d*ck. :beerchug:

dweebly

by dweebly

I change the pads not the holders, takes about 10 minutes and gets your hands filthy but gives me confidence that things are doing there job.

Each to there own on how they change them but, the aluminium and carbon surfaces are so different that i can't imagine pads will work equally well on both?

Still I've made my choice, you can make yours. It's not going to make the difference to who wins (Though I have heard that euskatel only won that prologue due to extra efficient brakes......!)
Common sense - Big fan.