Beware of AX LIghtness Daedalus Seatposts breaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cashman

by Cashman

Attn: All WW's
I broke my AX Lightness Daedalus seatpost back in early January :cry: after only having the post for 18 months.
I am totally devistated as I loved it.
After waiting 3 months I received the bad news that AX wasn't going to give me full replacement warranty but only a 50% discount on a new post.
I was accused of "jumping" on my bike and abused the post.

I weigh 73kg (well under the 85kg weight limit) fitted to a Baum Corretto (so no jumping)
My saddle was mounted at the front of my rails so weight over the rear of the post was to a minimum but still the post collapsed downwards at the rear bolt hole.

I'm not telling anyone not to buy an AX Lightness Daedalus seatpost but just consider your options.

I now ride a Thomson Masterpiece which I regret not doing in the 1st place
Cashman
Baum Corretto - Sram eTap (until I can get 12s Dura ace
Kavenz VHP16 - XT 12s
Revel Rascal- XTR 12s

bricky21

by bricky21

Could you elaborate a little more about the conditions under which the post broke?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1slor5ca

by 1slor5ca

I have long been considering adding Ax lightness parts to my R5ca. Although these kinds of stories and situations are really making me think twice before spending that kind of money and sacrificing reliability and safety. Does anyone else have "stories" they would be willing to share? Positive or negative. I cant imagine what I have heard so far is good for their business, if they treat customers this way.
2011 Cervelo R5ca
Sram Red Black
Sram AL30 Race wheels
Bontrager XXX bars and stem

maxima

by maxima

My team mate AX post crack with a loud noise when he hit the speed hump. I was trailing right behind at same speed, wasn't fast as the whole group was slowing down for the ride over hump. We gets lots of speed hump in city road riding, never have issues with Pinarello prince or dogma seat post, no issues with 3T post as well. AX refuse to warranty it even it's less than 2 mths old!

I ordered my AX wheelset, sort of hoping quality will be better!

Cashman

by Cashman

bricky21 wrote:Could you elaborate a little more about the conditions under which the post broke?

In the past I've accidently hit "cats-eyes" (road reflectors) but the post just broke from under me, no warning noises - nothing. Never hit any hole or speed hump with my weight on the post NEVER.

A Thomson Masterpiece is far superior by being easily adjustable, cost effective and reliable.

The AX Post is also extreamly difficult to adjust. My mechanic/fitter is glad it broke.
Cashman
Baum Corretto - Sram eTap (until I can get 12s Dura ace
Kavenz VHP16 - XT 12s
Revel Rascal- XTR 12s

Lateralus

by Lateralus

Perhaps you should buy Schmolke (very popular here in germany) or MCFK (becoming more and more popular). I've never heard of any problems with their products.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

ohmygodstoppress!!!!!!!!

light bike parts break. everything has a limit. unfortunately you learnt the limit of lightweight stuff under your weight/riding style with the most expensive seat pillar on the market.

with a user name like yours, why not just buy another 5 for future use? :wink:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Tokyo Drifter wrote:ohmygodstoppress!!!!!!!!

light bike parts break. everything has a limit. unfortunately you learnt the limit of lightweight stuff under your weight/riding style with the most expensive seat pillar on the market.

with a user name like yours, why not just buy another 5 for future use? :wink:

which is why the only ax product I use is their saddles. They seem to have a proven track record of lasting at least 3 years although there are many reports of people having and using their saddles 5 years or more.

I won't touch their other stuff. My experience w/ the daedalus post was less than stellar. Customer service was outright awful. I'm just glad it didn't break and I was able to sell it.

If you buy ax products you need to go in understanding there are other products out there that push the limits and are more reliable.
Speedplay is the devil!

LionelB

by LionelB

Stuff happens but it is pretty disappointing to see that AX would not replace it no question asked.

Simon BP

by Simon BP

Dejavu...
I remember it happening to some else in here too around a year ago, and AX also refused to warranty it.

maxima

by maxima

It's ok for ultra light parts to be less durable, but it's NOT right the company adopt a sell & forget attitude. The email my team mate send to them to enquire about warranty claim wasn't even answered.

sharkman

by sharkman

As said most ultra lightweight parts can break and aren't meant to be used very often.
Think Ax operates in a niche market where customers accept that they get a very lightweight product with hardly any guarantee at all.
Seen several broken posts (and a few other items) but when claimed AX mostly invents a reason (that comes so close to normal use that it would be funny if the stuff wasn't so expensive) to not guarantee the part.
In my view they make stuff that is perfect for showbikes but aren't meant for day to day use unless one has too much money and buys spare part for exchange after they break.....

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I'd say "race day only" but I like my race kit to be 100% dependable. No one wants to DNP because their post broke or cause a pileup because their stem failed.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'd say race days are more risky than training. You are more likely to go down during a race and you are probably being harder on your bike during a race. Am I wrong? :noidea:

bricky21

by bricky21

@gumgardner You are right and you are wrong.

You are much more likely to go down in a race, but the high speeds of a race cause you to sit lighter on your saddle and glide over the poor tarmac better.
Take away the crashes and other than the drive train and tires racing is pretty easy on equipment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com