Speedplay aftermarket aluminum bowtie fail

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I ordered a pair from JerseyCycles.com
Reli weight saving
But it just doesn't work :noidea:
(my pedals is Zero Ti, the alu plates suppose work on Zero?)
same problem as here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69244

where could we order the original nanogram's aluminum bowtie?
( I think nanogram user also need spare bowties )

Tillquist

by Tillquist

It look like the aluminum bowtie is for Speedplay X-serie

I've even made ​​these butterfly in aluminum for both Zero and X Series for myself, and there is a difference between them.
See all my bike h e r e

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Actually these are getting harder to find as I noticed that 6 stores in Europe suddenly all went "Out of Stock" at the same time. I assumed some lawyers were behind it all, especially after reading about other instances by Speedplay trying to control their products post-purchase...
I finally got confirmation from a shop after waiting on back-order for 2 months that they will not be receiving any more of these.
Perhaps some rebels will make some in their garage, but I don't think you'll be seeing them sold at online shops any more. :x

Yes, I also have bowties that don't fit (you referenced the post in this thread). Maybe they are nanogram or Zero plates... I tried filing the plates so they will fit on the pedal and used my old (shorter) screws... however, the performance was awful as the plates still had a slightly different curvature or transition from the pedal body. I could clip in but they clipped out very easily. I never actually rode with them.

Due to laziness and stubbornness, I left my original BTP bowties on even after they started looking horrible. Still work the same, just look very worn out. I think I've got 12,000 km on them. Probably will not last too much longer. Incidently, my cleats are actually lasting longer with the ALU bowties... as the bowties wear, it contacts a slightly different area on the metal cleat spring - so they wear out together... until they explode in harmony :lol:
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The bowties pictured in the linked thread (and in the right hand photo) are for X series, not zeros. The Zero bowties have that visible recessed line along the cleat connection's edge and the angle of the connection's slope is shallower. (Does that description make sense?) Many stores on-line have no clue that the bowties are not compatible. I have ordered OEM Zero bowties and received X series a few times.

Speedplay, I will use those I have up, toss them out and change brands...

eigner

by eigner

I bought Speedplay Zero aftermarket aluminium bowties from JerseyCycles.com aswell.. I could not get them to work either :evil:

Really sucks, cause they looked cool (black on my white speedplays) and the weight is really good.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I think Chinese craftsman can clone one, but no one do it for sell so far...

my friend's nanogram bowtie are nearly worn out
let's urge speedplay to sell it separately :twisted:

mises

by mises

I would guess it's a lack of awareness of the demand that's kept some small Chinese shop from churning some out. Not like they've ever seen a bike with $p33dp!@y pedals. Replacement X springs would be nice too, and replacement bodies, and....

gabbott

by gabbott

The aluminum units I got from Toronto did not last but a couple of rides.

The ti units I got from Toronto weren't the correct thickness or angle on the ends.

Don't get me wrong I like Toronto Cycles and have very good luck with them otherwise.

I might be pulling for the Chinese at this point though...........never thought I'd say that...........
SLC-SL.........12.98 and losing.......

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All most two years ago, I bought some alloy inserts for my zeros [cadenceworks] and although he did not have the colors I wanted I bought one set. They worked perfectly. They are still in use after a year and a half. I did get two additional sets since it was difficult at the time to find the inserts. I am good to go for at least a few years.

I inquired with Speedplay about buying parts for my nanograms. They indicated that they would be happy to rebuild them but I would have to send the pedals to them. I did not push the issue, but he was not willing to send out the parts because of the issues with rebuilding them.

I did use a full ceramic bearing [just like the nanograms] but after last Saturdays group ride, the right bearing exploded and the pedal came off the spindle. I would not use the full ceramic bearing again and ordered the hybrid version.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

BC2A realize the difference between Zero and X insert
but sadly Zero series cease to be available...oh, why
http://www.bc2adesign.com/Pedal_inserts.html

Tom-s

by Tom-s

Any links to shops that do sell the zero specific bowties?
I prefer ti but alu is ok.

Edit: Found one www.tuning-pedals.de has a Zero specific Ti set with ti bolts

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have dulight.fr ti plates with over 4000kms on em, they work every bit as well as the stainless butterfly's they replaced. Said it once and I'll say it again Toronto cycles ti tends to be soft and questionable on its tolerances.. I haven't been very happy with anything I've brought from that lot..

:noidea:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

sugarkane wrote:Said it once and I'll say it again Toronto cycles ti tends to be soft and questionable on its tolerances..
:noidea:

I tend to agree with you but when you are just playing around and experimenting/tuning ideas and possibly throwing away afterwards, $20 compared to 45 Euro is easier to swallow. But yeah a good working permanant option the Dulights all the way!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tantra

by tantra

I tried aluminum bowties from Toronto on my X1 pedals. One of the bowties failed at the bolt-hole while I was sprinting to get away from traffic. I must have been pulling up. The broken bowtie jammed my cleat requiring disassembly to repair. I had to limp home with one side not cleated in. I wish Speedplay or someone else would make a set of titanium bowties that fit properly. Until then, I'll stay with steel.