do mavic green pads = sisstop ghp II ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lasrever

by lasrever

does anybody know?

the mavic pads do say 'made by swissstop for mavic'

just sayin'
thanks,
nick

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Intrigued to know myself - gone through the Mavic pads at an alarming rate on my R-SYS SLRs so will need some new ones soon...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

according to cc YES.

Please Note: These are the exact same pads that SwissStop supplies Mavic for use with the Exalith rims on their Ksyrium and R-Sys SLR wheel systems.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/produ ... 767.0.html
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

lasrever

by lasrever

spartan wrote:according to cc YES.

that's nice to know - what's also nice to know is that i found the mavic labeled ones at only about $4 more than the swissstop so at least we're not being totally reamed.

thanks spartan for the eagle eye!
thanks,
nick

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hi,
I'm new to this so please don't jump down my throat on my 2nd post out of the gate. (My first post is in "new guys" section).

In fact just to ensure the correct info is available, I checked with our product manager in France on this topic. Here's what he says:
No, they are not the exact same one.
The compound is the same but the shape of the pad (grooves) is different.

In the many tests we performed, we tried this GHP2 as shown in the picture, as well as a compact version (with no grooves at all).
The shape we went for is kind of in between (grab one, it is easy to see the difference), and is the one giving the best result in terms of performance, wear, noise, sensation...

This GHP2 will not damage the rim brake track, but may create noise or vibration.

So, there it is, directly from the source. I'm sorry about the price being a little more.
We did let the guys at CC know about this subtle difference.

If other Exalith questions arise I'll try to be available to help. These wheels are just now seeing widespread availability. They're so different from anything that's ever been done before, it's going to take a while for all the info and rider experience to accumulate.
thanks - Mavic Zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

upside

by upside

Great to have you on board :welcome: :welcome: . I have a set coming tomorrow and I hope to get on them this weekend.

The downside is the pricing is similar to a decent carbon clincher rim. Enve comes to mind and I am currently using the 45's with the new Chris Kings hubs. I do a lot of climbing and desending so I hope the new SLR with the Exalith is worth the extra bucks.

I will post an honest review when I get some time on them.

bigcalves

by bigcalves

I am 2 weeks in on a set of the 2011 SLR's, including some mountain rides, and one 3 hour RR. So I am not going to give a review yet as I do not have enough miles on them. I will say I agree with the other posted who said he was going throught the Mavic brake pads at an alarming rate. I had the same feeling and was going to order another set, just to have them. When Mavic says these wheels would chew up normal brake pads in a week, I beleive them.

They are great looking wheels and I like the "Mavic" tires as well. I would think this rim technology would make a lot of sense for cross racing, but I bet Mavic knows that as well.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

The wheels do look great, that was a nice benefit of incorporating the Exalith treatment. That, plus greater brake track and spoke insertion durability/longevity. Kind of a carbon-like look but with the brake performance of aluminum.

There's a break in period during which accelerated pad wear is normal. Basically the hard, sharp edges on the machined surface of the brake track need a little time to round off. During the first 500km or so, the freshly machined, sharp edges will take down pads a little faster than normal. However once the brake track is used a bit and the machined ridges dull down just a bit, you'll get normal pad wear and less noise.

It does seem like CX would be a cool application, but it depends how long you want the perfect black brake track to stay that way. Grains of sand or grit could eventually wear into the brake track. I don't know hardness scale, but I'm pretty sure quartz is harder than Exalith and if embedded in a brake pad, could cut silver streaks into a nice black sidewall.

So is stainless steel - be careful with the metal arms on a truing stand. Put plastic caps or bumpers on them, or tape something soft onto them if you have to do serious truing of your Exalith wheels.

Hope that helps, and whatever you do, have fun showing off the mean blacked out look! -Mavic Zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

oddspam

by oddspam

I'm bumping this one..

What's the current brake pad models compatible with Exalith? I have a pair of Cosmic Carbon SLR 2012 and need some new. First I read that the green RacePro GHP II should be OK. Then I've seen that the black RacePro BXP is replacing GHP II, but some places I read they are _not_ compatible.. I'm confused..

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Stick with Mavic blocks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oddspam

by oddspam

Am I allowed to ask why? Earlier it has been said that ghp II is the same material as the Mavic, but half the price. Any reason not to go for it?