Giant TCR Advanced SL Frameset and Di2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kresyzig

by kresyzig

Hi,

I would like to know, is that possible to get a TCR Advanced SL frameset configured for Di2? I just come back from my LBS where the guy told me it is the same frame on the Giant SL 0 Di2 bike, but it does not seem to be exactly the same when I look on Giant website. The Advanced SL frame already has a plug under the top tube to accommodate the Di2 wire, but there is no opening on the chainstay tube for the rear derailleur...

Thanks!

Lemond75

by Lemond75

The Di2 specific frame isn't available separately but the standard frame works really well with Di2 as there is a hole just behind the head tube and one just in front of the BB originally designed to route SRM cables but works perfectly with Di2. I've fitted 2 sets to TCR Advanced SL frames and it looks really neat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The standard frames have ports but it is not full internal as you will have to run external to the rear derailleur and battery on the downtube

kresyzig

by kresyzig

Lemond75 wrote:The Di2 specific frame isn't available separately but the standard frame works really well with Di2 as there is a hole just behind the head tube and one just in front of the BB originally designed to route SRM cables but works perfectly with Di2. I've fitted 2 sets to TCR Advanced SL frames and it looks really neat.

Yeah it was my concern that the Di2 specific version was not available separately. Di2 frames are very difficult to find! So with the non-Di2 specific frames, is there a way to set things up without using any tape at all for the rear derailleur?
Last edited by kresyzig on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kresyzig

by kresyzig

nitropowered wrote:The standard frames have ports but it is not full internal as you will have to run external to the rear derailleur and battery on the downtube

My main concern is the rear derailleur. I want to use a custom battery in the seatpost, so this part should not be too much an issue...

nitropowered

by nitropowered

there is no hole in the dropout for a cable. Though if you are brave, I'm sure you can drill one in

kresyzig

by kresyzig

Lemond75 wrote:The Di2 specific frame isn't available separately but the standard frame works really well with Di2 as there is a hole just behind the head tube and one just in front of the BB originally designed to route SRM cables but works perfectly with Di2. I've fitted 2 sets to TCR Advanced SL frames and it looks really neat.

So when you perform that kind of fit, I guess you use the internal wiring cable kit rather than the external one, right? What is the difference exactly between these two kits? Smaller plugs for the internal kit and the bottom bracket hanger for the external kit?

Thanks!

NothernCyclist

by NothernCyclist

nitropowered wrote:there is no hole in the dropout for a cable. Though if you are brave, I'm sure you can drill one in

At least in my frame there is a hole. I have been able to direct a wire from the bottom bracket through the tube to the dropout area. Having not seen the wire kit cable thicknes don't know for sure if the hole is enough big. However it is higly likely the hole is enough big.

Wating for the Ultegra Di2 coming avalaible.
I would like to assemble the battery somewhere underneath of the bottom bracket.
Downside of this location is that it is exposed to the dirt, but how sensitive the assembly will be to it?

The TCR Advanced SL frame in case is one the most first to have been manufactured.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Are you saying you have a hole on the drop out on the outside? I know on mine, there is a hole on the inside and would be very hard to get the cable out w/o rubbing on the cogs

Ruds

by Ruds

nitropowered wrote:Are you saying you have a hole on the drop out on the outside? I know on mine, there is a hole on the inside and would be very hard to get the cable out w/o rubbing on the cogs

I thought the same about routing the cable there as well. I did it on my P3 but there was more space than the TCR has. The drop out looks like metal to me, I'm quite tempted to drill it but IIRC it needs a 6mm hole which is quite a lot of material to remove, what do you think?

mpower

by mpower

Can you guys post the holes photo for me to see as I am interested in getting one myself and fit it with the Di2?

NothernCyclist

by NothernCyclist

nitropowered wrote:Are you saying you have a hole on the drop out on the outside? I know on mine, there is a hole on the inside and would be very hard to get the cable out w/o rubbing on the cogs

You are correct the hole inside is very hard to get the cable out w/o rubbing cogs. It might be easier with Ultegra DI2, because it has essentially smaller diameter cable than the current DA DI2. I hope DA DI2 will be updated soon to include the technology from Ultegra DI2.

In the meanwhile I have changed my mind to prefer to keep cables outside and draw them along the upper route. Also will wait and see if the updated version of DA DI2 brings something usefull.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I'm planning on getting an Ultegra Di2 kit once they are available so I will be able to report back if indeed it is possible.

cydonian74

by cydonian74

hi, i'm late to this thread, but do you have any pictures or diagrams relating to retro fitting Di2 to such a frame? I have inherited a TCR Advanced SL1 ISP (2010) which has the stopper under the top tube, but i can't figure out how to run Di2 internally and exit the cabling for battery and front/rear mechs as they get towards the rear of the frame.

Any help and pics appreciated! :thumbup:

Cheers, Andrew

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naylor343

by naylor343

Hi, I have the same frame and am looking to fit DI2, another request for any photos of the solutions people came up with, thanks.